The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Predictions for the Parliament 25 marker?
how would I answer this question? 'to what extent does parliament fulfill its functions?'
Original post by xxvine
Guys you know the Qu
Assess the significance of constitutional reforms since 1997

What do you say to suggest they haven't been significant?

If they've failed like the hol reform there's 3 stages but it's still stuck on the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
If they've failed like the hol reform there's 3 stages but it's still stuck on the first one

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about fixed term act and devolution?
Basically with that question do you only talk about 3 reforms? You won't have time to discuss more will you?
Original post by espicton98
how would I answer this question? 'to what extent does parliament fulfill its functions?'

Mention functions eg legislation, opposition, accountability etc and why they don't always achieve their aim
Eg opposition might not be great if the commons opposition is weak/government have a huge majority

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by xxvine
What about fixed term act and devolution?
Basically with that question do you only talk about 3 reforms? You won't have time to discuss more will you?

If it's a 25 marker then I'd do 2 that failed and 2 that have succeeded
If it's 40 then you can do the same but in more depth otherwise just mention 6,
Devolution and fixed term parliament are successes same with hra and stuff like recall
Failures might be the lords reducing the commons to 600, could mention the government doing loads of u turns recently on stuff like making all schools academies by 2020? Failure to reform our electoral system for general elections but our devolved nations operate under pr
There are more but that's all I can think of st the moment...you got snymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tej98
Or with PM and Cabinet have a question such as 'To what extent does a PM's personality/leadership style affect their ability to control their cabinet'.

A pretty good 25 marker if that was to come up but I'm skeptical about that.

That's practically just another way to talk about power but it mentions 2 factors for you..,.i like it
But its better than 'how relevant /important is the cabinet today' so I hope something like that comes up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hkatief123
What's an example of an mp doing work for their consistency?

Perhaps bringing up an issue in parliament for them about local problems...eh about hospitals not doing s good job or about a building plan the constituents don't want to go through...like redress of grievances that's basically what that is
Also surgeries - listening to their constituents

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by UKStudent17
I'd say it happened in 2015, because the wiki page says that "standing orders to establish a grand committee for England were approved in the House of Commons in October 2015" However, I'm not sure if it's actually been set up yet.

Also, I guess it's subjective as to whether the "West Lothian Question" has actually been resolved with this? Some might still be in favour of an English Parliament. Not sure.

The 'Grand Committee' has stood , they've debated things a few times , its odd because scottish etc MPs can sit in the house but can't vote. The SNP amusingly ruined the first session by shouting out a lot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/12095904/Scottish-MPs-react-with-fury-as-only-English-and-Welsh-MPs-are-allowed-to-vote-on-housing-bill.html
Reply 669
Original post by keirjohnharry
The 'Grand Committee' has stood , they've debated things a few times , its odd because scottish etc MPs can sit in the house but can't vote. The SNP amusingly ruined the first session by shouting out a lot.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/12095904/Scottish-MPs-react-with-fury-as-only-English-and-Welsh-MPs-are-allowed-to-vote-on-housing-bill.html

What is the grand committee and what question can it be used for?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mollyadtr
If it's a 25 marker then I'd do 2 that failed and 2 that have succeeded
If it's 40 then you can do the same but in more depth otherwise just mention 6,
Devolution and fixed term parliament are successes same with hra and stuff like recall
Failures might be the lords reducing the commons to 600, could mention the government doing loads of u turns recently on stuff like making all schools academies by 2020? Failure to reform our electoral system for general elections but our devolved nations operate under pr
There are more but that's all I can think of st the moment...you got snymore?

Posted from TSR Mobile

wait I'm confused lol

if it says 'assess the significance' you talk about ones that have passed and why they were significant
the other side of the argument...you mention reforms that were not passed?

Not particularly amusing when you consider the insane hypocrisy.. SNP, the ones calling for independence and greater devolution to the Scottish Parliament to stop English MPs controlling Scottish domestic matters, are annoyed that they can't vote on English domestic matters.

Pathetic.
Original post by Foji
What is the grand committee and what question can it be used for?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Example of devolution / constitutional reform
Original post by popcornjpg
Not particularly amusing when you consider the insane hypocrisy.. SNP, the ones calling for independence and greater devolution to the Scottish Parliament to stop English MPs controlling Scottish domestic matters, are annoyed that they can't vote on English domestic matters.

Pathetic.

I just think if they're going to do it , it should be done properly.
Set up a separate building (ideally not in London) with MEPS (Members of English parliament). The SNP were mocking the fact that MPs are elected as the legislature for the United Kingdom , yet are being denied this right. I can't remember a referendum on 'English Devolution' can you?
likelihood of them asking on the coalition?

eg, 'Has the experience of coalition governmentstrengthened or weakened prime ministerial power?'
How do we know which topic comes as a 5,10,25 and which one as a 40 marker?
Does one have to learn all four topics for this unit? Or can one get away with two or three, like Unit 1?
I just think if they're going to do it , it should be done properly.
Set up a separate building (ideally not in London) with MEPS (Members of English parliament). The SNP were mocking the fact that MPs are elected as the legislature for the United Kingdom , yet are being denied this right. I can't remember a referendum on 'English Devolution' can you?

It's really not necessary.. let's not implement greater bureaucracy and further undermine the constitutional structure of the UK.

an EVEL that is less lenient and actually does the job would be perfectly sufficient.
on the specification it states that we need to know what the advantages of a constitutional government are. what is a constitutional govt and what are the benefits?
Original post by Sarpedon
Does one have to learn all four topics for this unit? Or can one get away with two or three, like Unit 1?

3 is the safe number, 2 is too risky.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending