The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Same, my teacher taught me a method called LATE for making u. Is this right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by samb1234
Because it's extremely abnormal? Yes it's a c1 equation, but only if you realise that you should do IBP twice which if you have never seen anything like that before isn't all that likely, since the typical integrals are so easy that it's easy to think you have done something wrong, and even if you tried IBP a lot of people will have stopped at 1 thinking it's not going to help. Of course it's easy if you have seen one of them before, but if not then I don't see how it's an easy question when you throw in the fact that it was in the middle of the paper so you don't have time to try lots of stuff out.

It's not, though. It has popped up on this C4 paper, see Q12 - markscheme, question paper and if you're making the case that some basic algebra at FP2 is tripping up people, when it comes up on C4 papers, then that's just a very sad state of the candidature sitting FP2.
Arsey mark scheme???
For the de moivre theorem question, i used ((e^itheta -e^-i theta)/2)^5 instead of (z-1/z)^5 , would that answering the questions ??
Original post by Hineshtailor
How many marks was question 8b, asap pls

7 I think mate
Original post by econam
An unrelated question. How do edexcel arrange you modules from Maths and F Maths?

Do they try and get you an A* in normal maths with the least UMS and then maximise UMS in F Maths?

@Zaken you any ideas?

They arrange them to maximise your grades. They'll prioritise normal maths and then juggle modules around to try and get as high as possible in further afterwards.
Original post by econam
An unrelated question. How do edexcel arrange you modules from Maths and F Maths?

Do they try and get you an A* in normal maths with the least UMS and then maximise UMS in F Maths?

@Zaken you any ideas?

They try and get you an A* in normal maths, then try an A* in Further Maths, then maximise UMS in maths then maximise UMS in further maths.
Original post by econam

@Zaken you any ideas?

yh, lowest collection of units to get an A* in normal maths, then the rest goes to further maths.
I wish those who are taking step stopped pretending like question 4c was easy. If any of you were in the same position as those of us who had never come across such a question, I doubt you would be saying it was easy. Yes, it was easy if you had done it before, but most people aren't going to waste 10 mins doing double IBP with no idea as to whether it will get me to the right answer.
Original post by Mattematics
They arrange them to maximise your grades. They'll prioritise normal maths and then juggle modules around to try and get as high as possible in further afterwards.

Original post by drtdre
yh, lowest collection of units to get an A* in normal maths, then the rest goes to further maths.

Original post by Zacken
They try and get you an A* in normal maths, then try an A* in Further Maths, then maximise UMS in maths then maximise UMS in further maths.

Thanks guys!
Original post by FugFig
Guys at Q4, i did integration by parts. But instead of setting u=e^x and v'=sinx, i set u=sinx and v'=e^x. I still solved it, but i think i got wrong value for C. How many marks out of the 7 do you think i will get?

4 I would think, if everything was right except C.

No less than 3
Original post by hank_the_tank
Graph ?
a. Polar coordinates
b. Area

or
cosine?
a.(Cosx)^5 in terms of cos5x, cos3x & cos x
b. Value of integrated cos^5 pheta with two limits

What did you get in the polar coordinates and in the 2nd order differential equation?
Original post by dsefton
I wish those who are taking step stopped pretending like question 4c was easy. If any of you were in the same position as those of us who had never come across such a question, I doubt you would be saying it was easy. Yes, it was easy if you had done it before, but most people aren't going to waste 10 mins doing double IBP with no idea as to whether it will get me to the right answer.

Amen sister.
Original post by Mattematics
Looking at the June 2013 paper, the polar co-ordinates question was quite similar to ours. I'm hoping since I wrote down the right limits I shouldn't lose any marks up until substituting the limits in + the final accuracy. So with a bit of luck only 2 lost on that.

The rest.. just ugh. I did parts once on 4b before moving on so hopefully should get at least some method marks.

I did the limit any integration right, but i forgot to devide pi/2 by 2, so maybe lost 2 marks. 4b completely messed up, maybe 3 marks lost, 2b was another mess , got n square something instead of n cube, so im expecting 63-65 /75
Original post by Armpits
4 I would think, if everything was right except C.

No less than 3

Why was my method wrong?
Reply 1556
Original post by anndz3007
Yayyyy l i calculated the are of 1 wrong and got something weird, well at least still get some mark

Same, I think I lost about 4 marks on that Q
Original post by FugFig
Why was my method wrong?

You can use either one for u and v'. Makes no difference.
Original post by AlexFrangos
What did you get in the polar coordinates and in the 2nd order differential equation?

polar coordinates (3rt3/4, pi/6), part b its sth + 203/480 , i can't really rmb.

I have told u my 2nd order answer in previous post lol

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending