The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science 08/06/16

How did you all find the exam??
GRADE BOUNDARY PREDICTIONS:
I can not stress enough how these grade boundaries are predictions and are more than likely not exact.
A* 58/80 A 50/80 B 43/80 C 36/80

Overall Boundaries (Coursework + Exam)
A* 170/200 A 140/200 B 210/200 C 180/200
(these usually stay the same each year)
UNOFFICIAL MARKSCHEME:

(Below are a set of questions contributed by you and myself with what we can remember, any contributions are greatly appreciated)

1) What is mean't by the term Character set? (1 mark)
A set of characters which the computer is able to recognize and represent on the system.

Why is Unicode better than ASCII? (3 marks)
ASCII can only represent 255/256 characters as it is 8 bit whereas Unicode is 16 bit so can hold a lot more

Lauren is making a website for her students "bla bla bla" (6 marks)
Mention of Acceptable use policy, Data protection for children, Copyright, Validation, Screening reports, Abuse reports

Why is a Dual-Core processor better than a Single-core processor? (2/3 marks)
Dual core has twice as many cores therefore can process more instructions faster and they can work simultaneously

How else can he upgrade the performance of his computer? (6 marks)
CPU with more cores to process instructions faster. Better HDD, More virtual memory, More cache memory, better GFX

Give two differences between ROM and RAM. (4 marks)
Difference 1) RAM is volatile and ROM is non-volatile
Difference 2) Ram is re-writable + ROM is pre-written (There will be more answers for this)

Difference between LAN and WAN (2 marks)
LAN covers a local area and WAN covers a wide geographical area.

Something to do with Peer to peer and Client server in a supermarket
Client server is more secure, Client server doesn't slow down when multiple people are using it, Client server has a permanent and reliable backup system

Write a query that selects a film genre of comedy released in 2015 (1 mark)
(Category=Comedy) AND (Year=2015)

Give one example of a record in the database (1 mark)
Age , Name, surname.

How does upgrading RAM increase the performance of the computer (2 marks)
Increasing RAM increases the amount of programs that can be run on the computer

Convert 191 (I think) into binary (1 mark)

Complier vs Interpreter (4 marks)
Complier
Translates the whole of the code into machine code straight away

Interpreter:
Translates one line of code at a time…
and executes it
stops when it finds an error
can be resumed

Give two other tools used in an IDE (2 marks)
Translator, Debugger, Libraries

Why is "somthing" included in the table? (2 marks)
Used as a foreign key to link the two tables together avoiding data redundancy

(If you have any order of questions or more answers you'd love to contribute along with the marks they were worth it's all appreciated :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I didn't know Lauren was a computing teacher.:cyber:
good exam, if a bit different to past papers. lots of text before the questions and why was there one on emojis lmao

Posted from TSR Mobile
I found it alright. The first question about the character set. Is it a set of instructions.
jeebus i didnt like that exam. too much theory and only two questions on binary calculations and no hex calculations?! none of my strong points on that paper and pretty much all of my weak points. bummer. i hope the grade boundarys are low.. although speaking to my friends i got quite a few correct..
The complier and interpreter thing i didnt like. and i got pretty much wrong.. maybe two marks if my examiner is in a good mood... fingers crossed :smile:

"A compiler will translate the high level language input given by the user into the machine language, i.e. in the binary codes, whereas an interpreter also converts the high-level language into machine level language but the interpreter will initially generate an intermediate code and then convert the high level language to machine level language." Source:
http://readanddigest.com/what-are-the-differences-between-compiler-and-interpreter/
Taken directly from a previous mark scheme: "All the characters which are recognised/can be
represented by the computer system"
also, unicode is ised to represent emojis because it has an extensively large character set compared to ascii, right? also its used all around the world, where ascii is american?
Sure.

I'll put the answers I can remember and hopefully you can put it to the questions... I can't remember the questions and the order.

Idea that Character set is characters represented by binary digits (bits) understood by computer

Idea that unicode can hold more characters due to being 16 bit, whereas ASCII can only represent a maximum of 255 characters in 8 bit binary.

Lauren's Q) - Ideas about Policies (Eg. Acceptable use), Abuse reports, screening and validation, etc.

Idea that Dual Core has twice as many cores so can process more instructions and execute them faster leading to better performance.

PC Spec 6 market) Ideas about better CPU, more instructions executed, more performance... Better HDD, more virtual memory and if it's SSD has better R/w time, so better performance... Better GFX, can process more data from cpu into pixels, etc, better performance... More cache more freq. used data can be held and not wrote over.

ROM VS RAM... Ram - Volatile and Rom non volatile... AND ... Ram re-writable but Rom is pre-loaded at manurfacture.

Binary, first one.... 0100 for "4" and 1010 for "A"....

Sequence for order code ran in....

Remind me of questions.

LAN VS WAN:

WAN over wider area, LAN over short local area.
WAN slower as has more data collisions and encounters more data but LAN doesn't.

Supermarker Q)
Security, although I crossed it out...
Accessability.

Database Q)

Record Example: Age.

ideas about being in other table as foreign key.

Correct data types and explination.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Majourdawarf1
also, unicode is ised to represent emojis because it has an extensively large character set compared to ascii, right? also its used all around the world, where ascii is american?

That's what I got. I also mentioned that it's because ASCII is smaller because it's limited to 8 bits, where as Unicode has 16.
Yes that is correct, Extended ASCII can only represent 256 (8-bits) possible characters. For all the emoji's we have these days there simply wouldn't be enough characters. There is 2^16 (16-bits) possible character combinations in UNICODE so there is more than enough in UNICODE.
The exam was awful, I hope my coursework saves me :frown:
I can't remember the supermarket question!! Hopefully I didn't leave it out.
I thought the paper was alright, tho I'm pissed that there was no hex calculations. The algorithm question at the end was tricky for me, but I always suck as those questions.
I thought the level of theory was alright. I literally started properly revising yesterday and I found it ok.

I hated the Joseph question!!!!! And ICOs or whatever. 8 marks down the drain already :s-smilie:
I hated it!!!!

If i got a G or and E in my exam and strong B in my CW what will i get?? I panicked and left so many answers blank. so far i havent even found 1 I've done right thats how bad i did
Original post by Aamna-
That's what I got. I also mentioned that it's because ASCII is smaller because it's limited to 8 bits, where as Unicode has 16.

alright, thanks. i suppose i could put that next time.. oh wait there isnt one! thats annoying
Original post by pugsofwesteros
The exam was awful, I hope my coursework saves me :frown:

god i only got Bs on my coursework! im screwed
Original post by mariah2011
I hated it!!!!

If i got a G or and E in my exam and strong B in my CW what will i get?? I panicked and left so many answers blank. so far i havent even found 1 I've done right thats how bad i did

unlucky bro. if you did get a U in the exam, youd be lucky to get a D overall i rekon... if you got an f or an e then youd bbe looking at a high d to low c, all depending on whether your coursework was a high b or a low one..
Reply 16
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be like?
it was fairly easy, however for the database question asking for a query i said
SELECT film FROM table WHERE genre="comedy"
is that correct?
Original post by Aamna-
What do you guys think the grade boundaries will be like?

well there seem to be a mix of people who found it hard and people who found it easy, so i would say 85% A*, 75% A, 60% B... etc
I found it very easy like I knew most of the things on the paper other than some of the legal things and maybe the last question.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending