The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1580
Hahaha I got 32.5 as well
I dont't think there is a exact value... because of arccos(3/4)

Original post by Student403
Wonder if they'll accept the rounded answer 32.5 for the last one..

They never specified exact value...
Original post by pragyas265
Guys was question 4 the one where we had to find the limiting value of X. If so what was part b and c of it. I'm really confused now. I thought there were only 2 parts of that question.

no part c

there was part ai and aii

and part b

Original post by Katiee224
would they allow multiple AS modules in further maths if that was the best arrangement for your grade? Eg/ fp1,fp2,m1,d1,s1,s2

anything so long as you have FP1 and FP2 or FP3

And in maths you must have S1+S2, D1 + D2, M1 + M2, or 2 of D1, M1 and S1. So you can't have M1, D1 and S1 in FM
Original post by Zacken
It's not, though. It has popped up on this C4 paper, see Q12 - markscheme, question paper and if you're making the case that some basic algebra at FP2 is tripping up people, when it comes up on C4 papers, then that's just a very sad state of the candidature sitting FP2.

That isn't the same thing. Yes it's ibp twice, but it's obviously integration by parts twice as you can easily see how by doing by parts you are going to get to a point where you get an integral independent of x - this isn't the case for e^2x sinx as most people get taught that you can't use IBP for things like sine that go round in circles, so you might do it once and then you get to a very similar point and probably stop. You can say all you like about it but when all but 2 people at a grammar school, many of whom will go to top unis and get very high grades, can't do the question it suggests that it isn't just a normal question that people are stupid for not getting right. We get it, you do step but not everyone does.
Original post by pragyas265
Guys was question 4 the one where we had to find the limiting value of X. If so what was part b and c of it. I'm really confused now. I thought there were only 2 parts of that question.

I have no idea what question asked to find the limiting value, perhaps I missed it. Zero clue

I think though, that on q.4, you had to integrate e^2thetasintheta
Original post by target21859
Did question 4 give initial conditions for part a? I got x=r/q+ce^(-qt/p). Would I drop a mark for not putting rc/q? I merged it as one constant. In the unofficial mark scheme by Ewan he has a minus and not a plus.

i got the same as you
Reply 1585
Damn Question 4....
I just realised what should I do after the exam for part c

you could use the way to solve second order differentiation to solve this problem !!!!!
Ahh!!!!!!!!
Original post by Student403
Wonder if they'll accept the rounded answer 32.5 for the last one..

They never specified exact value...

You'd probably get he mark but wasn't hard to give it in exact form bro
Original post by dsefton
I wish those who are taking step stopped pretending like question 4c was easy. If any of you were in the same position as those of us who had never come across such a question, I doubt you would be saying it was easy. Yes, it was easy if you had done it before, but most people aren't going to waste 10 mins doing double IBP with no idea as to whether it will get me to the right answer.

I don't do step the only reason I got it was because it's a similar approach towards the ends of proving reduction formulae in FP3...
Original post by hank_the_tank
polar coordinates (3rt3/4, pi/6), part b its sth + 203/480 , i can't really rmb.

I have told u my 2nd order answer in previous post lol

I found the same in the differential equation. Is that sth in polar -9/4rt(3) ?
What radius and centre did you also get in the transformation question?
Reply 1589
Original post by Katiee224
ah ok makes sense, thanks

I did a level maths last and got a * and I need a B in further mathsthis year to get into my course, would you advice 'unlocking' further maths as I chose not to?
Original post by solid222
Is arsey making a mark scheme?

He wont be making any more, edexcel got him to stop
Tough/awkward paper overall I thought. Always reluctant to say this but last years was so easy in comparison. Pretty sure I got somewhere in the 60s so hoping for low grade boundaries.

4b was obviously not an 'easy' question if you hadn't done a similar type, don't really see how you can argue it was.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Naeco
Hahaha I got 32.5 as well
I dont't think there is a exact value... because of arccos(3/4)

That's what I would have thought, but in June 2013 they had this

Original post by ThatCleverAsian
You'd probably get he mark but wasn't hard to give it in exact form bro
I know it wasn't
Original post by ThatCleverAsian
Easiest paper I've done for fp2. Full UMS in the bag. Hmu if you wanna know any solutions

???
Original post by hank_the_tank
Graph ?
a. Polar coordinates
b. Area

or
cosine?
a.(Cosx)^5 in terms of cos5x, cos3x & cos x
b. Value of integrated cos^5 pheta with two limits

wasn't the graph on question 7 and cosine on question 6?
Original post by Econ/Chem/FMaths
So the questions
1. Inequalities (6M)
2. Method of differences (7M)
3. Complex Roots (5M) Argand Diagram (2M)
4. First order Diff (4M) + (1M) + (7M)
5. Tan(x) (5M) + (5M)
6. Second Order Diff (4M) +(7M) + (2M)
7. Can't remember
8.Polar Coordinates (4M)+ (7M)
What i can vaguely remember ^ can someone improve

Second order first question was 6 marks.
Damn I practiced so many complex transformation questions and then it didn't come up! Really struggled for time towards the end but looking at these answers does inspire some confidence.

I probably spent the longest doing the integral in question 4(b), I couldn't figure out a better way to do it so I used FP3…

The integral seems right according to wolfram alpha, yet when I differentiate the whole thing I don't get dy/dx = 0 when y = 0 and theta = 0, so I probably did it wrong :frown:
Original post by VDJB
I did a level maths last and got a * and I need a B in further mathsthis year to get into my course, would you advice 'unlocking' further maths as I chose not to?

they should arrange your modules to give you the best overall grade, prioritising your maths a-level so you shouldn't lose your a*.
Original post by Econ/Chem/FMaths
So the questions
1. Inequalities (6M)
2. Method of differences (7M)
3. Complex Roots (5M) Argand Diagram (2M)
4. First order Diff (4M) + (1M) + (7M)
5. Tan(x) (5M) + (5M)
6. Second Order Diff (4M) +(7M) + (2M)
7. Can't remember
8.Polar Coordinates (4M)+ (7M)
What i can vaguely remember ^ can someone improve

Nah,
5. De Moivres (5M) + (5M)
6. Tan(x) (5M) + (5M)
7. Second Order Diff (4M) +(7M) + (2M)
8. Polar Coordinates (3M)+ (8M)
(edited 7 years ago)
Did question 4 give initial conditions for part a? I got x=r/q+ce^(-qt/p). Would I drop a mark for not putting rc/q? I merged it as one constant. In the unofficial mark scheme by Ewan he has a minus and not a plus

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending