The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gunners98
No worries. Yeah I agree - although I didn't find it too bad I think a few of the questions were tougher than other years. I reckon
73 - 100ums
66 - 90ums
60 - 80ums

I disagree. A lot of the questions have been seen before but with different numbers. The moments question was probably the only unique one there.

I agree with your UMS predictions though.
Original post by Reda2
Yes you will.

cheers
Original post by stephencurtis
cheers

How many marks will I lose if I forgot to mutiple by the mass for the impulse question. I got v--u = 7.5 and wrote the formula flr impukse, just stupidly forgot to multiply by 0.4?

Posted from TSR Mobile
What's 9+10
Original post by DW4
1.a) I got 284... anyone else?
c) same

2. same

3. same
Slope question - sameI didn't get the other vectors question and I don't remember what i got for the last one but it might have been the same as you.

Sorry to burst your bubble on the first one.
The vector was 20i - 5j, if you draw it you'll see the bearing would be 90° + arctan(5/20) = 104°.
so is the general gist for T 8.7 ish seconds?

also, how many marks will I lose for drawing the graph without one point of intersection?
This paper was harder than last year's and last year paper was 59 for an A so i'm thinking it will be 58 for an A this year
Original post by JLegion
I disagree. A lot of the questions have been seen before but with different numbers. The moments question was probably the only unique one there.

I agree with your UMS predictions though.

I haven't even nearly done all the papers so I'll take your word for it, but I thought the impulse question was harder than just a standard collision question, the second vectors seemed harder than usual, and like you say the moments question too. But I agree there was nothing ridiculous in this paper.
Did we need a bearing for 8b? I only put down the resultant force.
Original post by TercioOfParma
Forgot to do the bearing, but got the force.

2/4 sound like correct number of marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same here :/ I'm hoping that it's 3 because the 45 degree angle has been clearly recognised, but unfortunately I think it's most likely going to be 2.
Original post by LukeB98
June exams only:
2010: 75
2011: 75
2012: 75
2013: 68
2014: 70
2015: 71

According to their grade boundaries spreadsheet.

Thanks. It was a bit similar to June 2013, I'd say this year it'll be around 70
For 8b, didn't the question ask for the Force,so why does it have the bearings and how many marks will i lose for working out only the Force
I got all the working out for questions as I did the paper again in the allocated time, anyone need to see it? I made the corrections for the ones I realised I did wrong after the exam :frown:
Does anyone have the answer for the final part of question 1?
Original post by Pradesh
For 8b, didn't the question ask for the Force,so why does it have the bearings and how many marks will i lose for working out only the Force

The question asked for magnitude and direction.
Since it was 4 marks you'll probably lose 2 marks for not listing the direction.
Guys for the moments question, I basically got it all right up to the simultaneous equations, where after that I solved them incorrectly...Lol. Would I still get 5/7 you reckon? So like lose the final two A1 marks?
Could someone explain to me why the force exerted by the brick is 15.45N and not just its weight, 14.7N. I understand it's accelerating upwards and so there must be a net upwards force greater than the weight. The difference between the force and the weight is the force required to make it accelerate at 0.5m/s^2, so net upwards =1.5g + 0.5x1.5=15.45. Surely though, this is the force that the pan exerts on the brick and not what the brick exerts on the pan? Or am I correct and have I just messed up when reading the question and it's actually asked me to find the force of the pan on the brick?

Also for 7. Is F2 = 2.5i+2.5j or -3.5i+-3.5j. The two answers are pending on which way you put the ratio to find your answer ie 3(-1+x)=2+x and -1+x=3(2+x). Which one is right? I put the 2.5 one but I now think -3.5 was right. How many marks would I lose if it's wrong?

Lastly, for the diagram, I did something stupid. I drew all of it correctly (so correct height/speed, time they decelerated and time stopped) except I didn't make their lines intersect when they were decelerating. Meaning M was above N for the entirety of the graph except for the stop point. Thus meaning they traveled different distances, which we know is wrong. Do I just lose one mark?
For 7.a) I've realised I got the correct answer but crossed it out in my workings and did some other method.... Am I still likely to get the marks if the examiner can clearly see my workings?
I wrote -3 for the impulse insread of 3, would i get that wrong?
Original post by niamhcostello23
I wrote -3 for the impulse insread of 3, would i get that wrong?

yes it asked for magnitude

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending