The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mehran59
Can anyone remember question 8 from the IAL paper?

Sketch arg(z5z2)=π4\displaystyle \arg\left ( \frac{z-5}{z-2} \right ) = \frac{\pi}{4}.

Find zmax\displaystyle \left | z_{\text{max}} \right |.
Original post by AlexFrangos
hmm. How did you find the paper in general and what grade boundaries do you expect?

Well the paper is bit tough, tho not very hard, but those calculations are so tedious and answers aren't nice which makes me feel scared, coz usually answers are in easy and perfect fractions in past papers.

Well boundaries i guess 68 for A*? depends on relative performance of candidates so I can't say much.. :frown:
Original post by somevirtualguy
As the last question didn't specify to leave the answer in exact form, would you still get all the marks for being right to 3sf (32.5)?

Hope so - that's exactly what I did.

Be an absolute ***** if they expected an exact form tbh. It's definitely possible to be given in exact form, just such a time waste lol
Well I got this too
Original post by notrodash
Damn I practiced so many complex transformation questions and then it didn't come up! Really struggled for time towards the end but looking at these answers does inspire some confidence.

I probably spent the longest doing the integral in question 4(b), I couldn't figure out a better way to do it so I used FP3…

The integral seems right according to wolfram alpha, yet when I differentiate the whole thing I don't get dy/dx = 0 when y = 0 and theta = 0, so I probably did it wrong :frown:
Original post by samb1234
That isn't the same thing. Yes it's ibp twice, but it's obviously integration by parts twice as you can easily see how by doing by parts you are going to get to a point where you get an integral independent of x - this isn't the case for e^2x sinx as most people get taught that you can't use IBP for things like sine that go round in circles, so you might do it once and then you get to a very similar point and probably stop. You can say all you like about it but when all but 2 people at a grammar school, many of whom will go to top unis and get very high grades, can't do the question it suggests that it isn't just a normal question that people are stupid for not getting right. We get it, you do step but not everyone does.

Maybe dat grammar school not A1
Original post by Mehran59
wasn't the graph on question 7 and cosine on question 6?

(IAL)
hmm wt i remember is this

1. Method of difference 5/51
2. Inequality
3 1st order
4,5,6 series + second order + transformation
7 polar graph
8 cosine
9 complex graph
Original post by Student403
Hope so - that's exactly what I did.

Be an absolute ***** if they expected an exact form tbh. It's definitely possible to be given in exact form, just such a time waste lol

Yeah I considered going through it but then the invigilator said "5 minutes left" so I left it rounded and prioritised checking everything else for silly mistakes.
Easiest Fp2 paper. Q4 was a godsend. Cant believe it came up again. I predict a high grade boundary. I only started 2 days ago only doing exams papers. Gonna get that 100ums
it's sinhx not sinx
Original post by RabiesRevenant
I done sinx = (e^x - e^-x)/2 then multiplied it by e^2x etc. can someone confirm?
Reply 1630
So it was double integration by parts for that first order differential equation? Completely forgot you could do that. Probably ~5 marks dropped on just that question. I'll have to hope there are low grade boundaries!

Both annoyed and relieved there was no complex transformation question. I'd practiced them a lot, but I'm also not too confident with them.

Also, I put the answer to the last question in exact form, not a decimal. Hopefully they'll allow that! It was the only time I've not seen them ask for an exact form so I'm 90% sure they were looking for decimals.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Student403
Nah you couldn't have d1 and m2 together.

It would have to be d1 + m1, d1 + s1, s1 + s2, or m1 + m2 in maths

all the rest goes to FM

ahh okay, cheers
Original post by Rkai01
Someone upload hitlers reaction- it's needed!

Hitler is so angry that the exam was so straightforward??
Same! Feel better now.
Original post by OllieUnofficialW
32.5 something, i got theta as a nasty value like 0.723
Original post by angelitajin
Can you please explain me how to do both questions?
For 7 I got complete different answer involving lnx
and for 8 i got 15.6

I will when I get back from lunch.
Original post by samb1234
That isn't the same thing. Yes it's ibp twice, but it's obviously integration by parts twice as you can easily see how by doing by parts you are going to get to a point where you get an integral independent of x - this isn't the case for e^2x sinx as most people get taught that you can't use IBP for things like sine that go round in circles, so you might do it once and then you get to a very similar point and probably stop. You can say all you like about it but when all but 2 people at a grammar school, many of whom will go to top unis and get very high grades, can't do the question it suggests that it isn't just a normal question that people are stupid for not getting right. We get it, you do step but not everyone does.

Samb, I know that the question wasn't exactly on spec and I'm definitely not the right person to be saying this, but don't you think some questions in a further maths paper should get you to think? It wasn't exactly STEP level to be fair.
Original post by MathematicGenius
Easiest Fp2 paper. Q4 was a godsend. Cant believe it came up again. I predict a high grade boundary. I only started 2 days ago only doing exams papers. Gonna get that 100ums

2 days? Amateur. People who are actually good at maths don't even learn the material, they just derive it in the exam
for q8, i used the angle to 3dp as the limit instead of arccos(3/4). i got the right answer, but would i lose any marks?
Well that was f*%&£!g dreadful
Original post by callum9977
Well I got this too

I got that too but you have to take the e to the other side after plus c so you get 1/5(2sinx-cosx+e^-2x)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending