The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Media Studies Exam 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by annieprincess
I would. You should conclude any essay, whether it's short or long. My 1b conclusions are usually about 3-4 lines, talking about whether or not my coursework conforms to the theorists, etc.

Whether or not you get marks for what's in your conclusion, I feel that an intro and conclusion gives coherence and structure to your essay, which you do get marks for.

If you're stretched for time, you could leave it out and come back to it at the end if you had the time.

Okay thanks, it was more that I was unsure of what to put in a conclusion rather than ignoring one completely.

Thanks for the help.
Reply 41
1A and 1B predictions? I think it might be Research and Planning or Digital Technology + Audience or Media Language

Describe a range of creative decisions that you made in digital technology and how these decisions made a difference to the final outcomes. Refer to a range of examples in your answer to show how these skills developed over time. [25]

Analyse one of your coursework productions in relation to the concept of audience. [25]

Analyse the ways in which at least one group of people is 'mediated'. [50]

Here's what I predict could come up. Don't over rely on it!
How would you go about answering a question on Creativity or Digital Technology for 1a? I seem to lack any specific notes on either of these topics. Any pointers or notes/resources would be greatly appreciated :smile:
Reply 44
For digital technology, if you can't think of things that you did better at AS than A2, you can always make up "exam facts". The examinor will never see your coursework so sometimes this helps, to get a better grade.

For example for digital technology you could talk about using a phone to film at AS and a DSLR or proper recording camera at A2, improving the quality. You can also include any of your notes you have made under post production, as that is digital technology.

For creativity, you could talk about your blog? (if you did a blog to present your coursework). Say how you used more intestesting formats to present your research and planning than last year. Also you could say about applying filters or effects at AS that were just 'presets'. Compare that to applying filters at A2 and changing the opacity or tint etc.

Hope this helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by leb23
For digital technology...

Hope this helps!

Seems simple enough, thank you!

How are you planning to structure your answer for Q2? Intro, 3 points for, 2 against, conclusion?

Also, if anyone has any notes on Contemporary Media Regulation for Q2, I would be greatly appreciative if you could share them with me :smile:
Reply 46
Does anyone know what the questions were for 1.a. and 1.b. in the 2015 paper?
Original post by ombtom
Does anyone know what the questions were for 1.a. and 1.b. in the 2015 paper?

1a was conventions and 1b was narrative
Since 1a was conventions and 1b was narrative, should i not revise these?
Dear anyone doing 'media and the online age' for question 2.....

have you got any interesting and current case studies to share that you have found for the tv and film industry?

thank you !
Do you have any exemplar answers for 1b Audience ?
Does anyone know what the question was last year for the media in the online age section?
Exam tomorrow i am heavily freaking out hahahah help
Original post by Kfc master
Since 1a was conventions and 1b was narrative, should i not revise these?

I mean it is highly unlikely to come up again, and tbh I haven't personally focused my revision on these, but it is still good to know about some theorists just in case :smile:
Original post by ThatGirlJemma
I mean it is highly unlikely to come up again, and tbh I haven't personally focused my revision on these, but it is still good to know about some theorists just in case :smile:

Snm g
Howd everyone find it?
Original post by AdamThePhysicsMo
Howd everyone find it?

1B was great- didn't finish 1A but I got most of my points in there so ain't too bothered.

Did postmodernism for section B and feeling good with that:biggrin: generally, a pretty good paper.

How'd you find it?
Original post by marissacb
Was 1b just about media language? or was it audience as well?
if anyone did question 3 contemporary media regulation, what did you put for it?

1B was 'How did you use media language to communicate meaning to your audience?'

I took it to mean media language- related to audience.

I used mainly media language theory but also some audience such as...

Uses and gratification model: I suggested that my use of my mies-en-scene using the semic code such as a white hospital gown allowed my audience to be in control of how they consume and respond to the text.

Stuart Hall:
-My mies-en-scene having a polysemic nature and allowing my audience to come up with interpretations themselves
-Dominant, negotiated, opposed reading

Andrew Goodwin:
-Relationship between visuals, lyrics and music. My visuals contradict my lyrics ect.

ect.
Original post by IzzyWatkins
1B was 'How did you use media language to communicate meaning to your audience?'

I took it to mean media language- related to audience.

I used mainly media language theory but also some audience such as...

Uses and gratification model: I suggested that my use of my mies-en-scene using the semic code such as a white hospital gown allowed my audience to be in control of how they consume and respond to the text.

Stuart Hall:
-My mies-en-scene having a polysemic nature and allowing my audience to come up with interpretations themselves
-Dominant, negotiated, opposed reading

Andrew Goodwin:
-Relationship between visuals, lyrics and music. My visuals contradict my lyrics ect.

ect.

Thankyou! You'v put my mind at rest that i've put the right thing!!
Original post by marissacb
Thankyou! You'v put my mind at rest that i've put the right thing!!

Yay :beer:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending