The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by E1Ephan7
I completely guessed 7a) F=2.5i and forgot to write j component. Showed no working. How many marks could i get? please someone?

Maybe maximum half marks of the part I think. If no method then no Method marks. Out of curiosity how did you guess 2.5? If it was a whole number I could understand but it seems a bit random? Good guess and maybe if you had a diagram or something you could get a couple of marks perhaps but just the answer isn't worth much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Don Pedro K.
Guys, for the magnitude of the force exerted on pan by brick, I got the right answer but I did it in a way which gave a negative answer for R. how many marks do you think I would lose?

depends, can be all of them if the examiner is peak
most likely to get some method marks
Original post by Tb3636
For the impulse queation I found the value of u using suvat. But didn't read the queation properly and didn't attempt the impulse. How many marks do you think I will lose? Guessing three. Cheers

Depends if you got u right, it was 3.5ms^1? It was out of 7 so yeah I would probably guess about max 3 marks
Original post by TSRPAV
how are people getting 3Ns for impulse? i got 2.48 or something and it seems to work using kinematics,not sure how people are getting 3.5m/s for the velocity off the wall?

I think I did that at first but then corrected myself, you used the force as the acceleration but actually you had to do f=ma first.
Using the force as the acceleration would give you like 2.478.. or something like that
Original post by Questioner1234
Yes it did ask for force on pulley due to string. I think what people mean is that the force is 45 to horizontal which is a bearing of 225.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Hasib98
that was the question yes but i dont think the answer is given in bearing form, just an angle respective of the direction

i just wrote diagonal cos i was confused LOOOL

Thanks.
Worked answer to the moments question anyone where you had to find d?

Don't know why but people at my school are saying d is 3. How did they get to that do you think and are they wrong?
Original post by E1Ephan7
I completely guessed 7a) F=2.5i and forgot to write j component. Showed no working. How many marks could i get? please someone?

wow what a badass guess LOOL so accurate but im not sure, perhaps none :frown: there was no evidence of working and you forgot to write the j component so sorry bro
Original post by dodgewc25

Don't know why but people at my school are saying d is 3. How did they get to that do you think and are they wrong?

Definitely wrong. The plank was non-uniform and of length 6m, so d cannot be 3 otherwise it is uniform.

Generally people are getting 1.2 or 1.6.
1.2 is the favourite.
Original post by dodgewc25

Yeah they are wrong LOOOOL
its 1.2 bby
Maybe maximum half marks of the part I think. If no method then no Method marks. Out of curiosity how did you guess 2.5? If it was a whole number I could understand but it seems a bit random? Good guess and maybe if you had a diagram or something you could get a couple of marks perhaps but just the answer isn't worth much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same thing kind of happened to me... not really sure how I worked it out but I got an answer of 5/2 = p^2 where p was the value of i and j, so then I square rooted 5/2 which gave me root 10 /2.. so no idea what I did but I somehow got the answer 2.5 somewhere so do you think I will get any marks?
Original post by matt1234512
what were the units for 42 i think wrote it as in newtons?

You'll be fine.
Original post by txnilxnur
Same thing kind of happened to me... not really sure how I worked it out but I got an answer of 5/2 = p^2 where p was the value of i and j, so then I square rooted 5/2 which gave me root 10 /2.. so no idea what I did but I somehow got the answer 2.5 somewhere so do you think I will get any marks?

sometimes the mark scheme says if so and so number is seen, award this mark so hopefully you pick some up somehwere

Posted from TSR Mobile

I just fiddled around with numbers on my calculator and got 2.5 for both but thought it wasn't right and only ended up writing it for the i component. I drew a diagram and wrote a couple of scribbly notes but no clear method.
Original post by Don Pedro K.
that'd be alright hahaha

Hope so
Original post by Hasib98
sometimes the mark scheme says if so and so number is seen, award this mark so hopefully you pick some up somehwere

Hopefully! Also.. how many marks do you think i will lose for drawing the graph without a point of intersection?
Original post by LukeB98
This is how I did it. A bit of resolving for the deceleration after the rebound, then using kinematics equations to find the speed immediately after the collision. Then shove into impulse equation.

R(->:wink: F = 0.4a => R/8 = 0.4a, where R = 0.4g.

So, a = g/8 ms^-2

Then we must find the speed immediately after impact:
s=5 , u=?, v=0, a=-g/8 (<- +)
So you get: 0=u^2 - 12.25 => u=7/2 ms^-1

I = m(v-u) => I = 0.4(3.5-(-4) = 3 Ns.

Nah i did it like this:
Mu= 1/8, initial velcoity=4m/s ,mass=0.4kg
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Off the wall: R(<--): deceleration: a=- muR= 1/8*0.4*g=-0.49 m/s

displacement s: 5m It comes to rest so v=0

so we want to find U as that will be the final velocity off the wall,

v^2=u^2+2as

0^2=u^2+2(-0.49)(5) -------> U= sqrt(2*0.49*5)= 2.21 (2.d.p)

So R(-->) m=0.4kg u=4m/s v=-2.21 m/s

So I=m(v-u) = 0.4(-2.21-4)= 2.484 Ns and its impulse its a magnitude as both the wall and ball have the exact same impulse (i figured out for the other one/negative version)

so i swear thats right??? still dont get how you guys got 3Ns
Original post by student bang
7 marks

That's physically impossible hahaha
Hopefully! Also.. how many marks do you think i will lose for drawing the graph without a point of intersection?

1 mark which is B1

it was a 4 mark question so i think maybe 2 lost because we needed to use understanding and apply it but dont worry bro i didnt do it either :frown:
for impulse 7 marker, i resolved some forces found R found some sort of acceleration did uR for friction but didnt really put it all together and did the wrong thing to work out the impules. How many marks would i lose?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending