The Student Room Group

Disabled girl handcuffed by Sussex Police,

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tinka99
It does not matter if she has ADHD and Autism if she decides to behave like that in public places she will be treated the same as everyone else. If she is spitting in the police officers faces a spit hood is justified as it was them just doing their job. If you have a disability it does not mean you should get special treatment.

Link to article:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/06/08/police-used-spit-hood-hand-cuffs-and-a-leg-brace-on-disabled-gir/

not special treatment but mitigating arrangements. I hardly doubt 2 police officers (as you need at least 2 to strait jacket a person) could not deal with an 11 year old. were not talking about a grown man
Original post by minimarshmallow
So the guideline therefore must be to hold troublemakers for two and a half days without a parent/guardian or possibly essential medical care, given that that's what happened in this case.

Does that not seem excessive to anyone else before we even move on to the disability issue.

no it is not excessive. this suspect would have been provided with food and shelter during her stay with the authorities.
Original post by Nayzar
Mate that was nothing to do with muslims smh. But true it was an irrelevant comment

He cares because the Palestinians are Muslim and so is he. If they were Buddhist, Christian, Hindu, Pagan, whatever I guarantee he wouldn't care at all.
He has a massive victim complex and likes to play the oppressed minority facing hardship card. He does it quite regularly.
Original post by aarora
I feel like the term disabled is used too extensively nowadays. I feel like the term should be limited to individuals with Down's Syndrome, those in a wheelchair, blind/deaf people etc. The article didn't really go into the extent of her disability, it just mentioned "challenging behaviour", that to me isn't a disability, many children at that age can have a challenging behaviour regardless of a neurological condition or not, so that doesn't mean just because she's referred to as disabled that she should get a free pass.

Good thing then that these things are defined by doctors who actually know what they're talking about rather than random self-proclaimed internet experts who like talking about things they don't understand like yourself!
Original post by the bear
no it is not excessive. this suspect would have been provided with food and shelter during her stay with the authorities.

A child, who is vulnerable even without a disability, who may have needed essential mental health or other medical care (as stated by her mother) was held for two overnight stays without seeing her parent/guardian, but it's fine because she was indoors and fed?
A child, who is vulnerable even without a disability, who may have needed essential mental health or other medical care (as stated by her mother) was held for two overnight stays without seeing her parent/guardian, but it's fine because she was indoors and fed?

of course :h:
"On a number of occasions, officers did not record any rationale for their use of force on the youngster, who has "a neurological disability which can cause challenging behaviour", inspectors said." - source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-36472234

Of course, you can paint it black and white - the age of criminal responsibility is 10, yes. But really? Come on.
A lot of people are stating a spit hood is totally excessive because of the age. Can I just confirm:

Adult spitting at you - disgusting problem
Child spitting at you - not a problem and should be ignored
"Disabled" child spitting at you - they have special needs so isn't a problem. Actually you should probably encourage it.

This seems to be the rough line of thought going on here. It's really quite simple, you use a spit hood if they are spitting.

Now I fully agree that the absence of adults on more than one occasion is disgraceful and they have been punished appropriately. The rest we only have partial information of and thus can't really make any reasonable conclusions.
The Equality Act (2010) specifies reasonable adjustments.

I know that but that does not mean she should get away with being a troublemaker in the public. If a normal person went out and behaved like this they would be treated like this so why should she not? Nowadays people have made a joke out of disabilities using them to their own advantage.
Original post by Tinka99
I know that but that does not mean she should get away with being a troublemaker in the public. If a normal person went out and behaved like this they would be treated like this so why should she not? Nowadays people have made a joke out of disabilities using them to their own advantage.

Reasonable adjustments doesn't mean they do nothing, it means they get her a mental health nurse, allow her to see her mother or someone she knows that can explain the situation to her in a way that she is more likely to understand, I don't know if they can hold her in a more open plan space to help her be more relaxed.

Disability as an advantage? You are kidding me, right? Try living with one and being denied reasonable adjustments at every turn despite it being law and then try to tell me that expecting to get health care if you're arrested is using it to your advantage...
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Tinka99

that's the thing. she is not the same. she has a problem in which makes it HARDER for her to act like others. furthermore shes only 11. its stupid. you don't see drunkpeople being treated like this, so why should a 11 yr old
Original post by the bear
of course :h:

Original post by TSR Mustafa
If you happen to be a Palestinian , you get shot for bants

Aw yay I have my own little fan club following me around :colondollar:
Reasonable adjustments doesn't mean they do nothing, it means they get her a mental health nurse, allow her to see her mother or someone she knows that can explain the situation to her in a way that she is more likely to understand, I don't know if they can hold her in a more open plan space to help her be more relaxed.

Disability as an advantage? You are kidding me, right? Try living with one and being denied reasonable adjustments at every turn despite it being law and then try to tell me that expecting to get health care if you're arrested is using it to your advantage...

Again, I disagree to some extent with the disability thing being locked onto.

She had no diagnosis at the time when she was arrested, likewise if she did not have an adult present they have not been told of her suspected disability/issues.

Is it one failing leading to another? Sure. But to say that they should automatically be able to tell a child with a non-physical disability apart from one that is just difficult is fairly unreasonable in my opinion.

If they have made it to 11 without getting a diagnosis they are clearly relatively high functioning.
Original post by lascelles101
that's the thing. she is not the same. she has a problem in which makes it HARDER for her to act like others. furthermore shes only 11. its stupid. you don't see drunkpeople being treated like this, so why should a 11 yr old

Legally you can get arrested at 10 according to the law. The police maybe could have been more considerate and get her a nurse and let her talk to her mother because she has a disability but there is nothing wrong in the way she was treated. Just because you have a DISABILITY does not mean you can get away with things. If drunk people caused a chaos on the roads or driven a car drunk I guess they would be arrested and spend the time in prison so she should as well.
Original post by Tinka99
Legally you can get arrested at 10 according to the law. The police maybe could have been more considerate and get her a nurse and let her talk to her mother because she has a disability but there is nothing wrong in the way she was treated. Just because you have a DISABILITY does not mean you can get away with things. If drunk people caused a chaos on the roads or driven a car drunk I guess they would be arrested and spend the time in prison so she should as well.

I know the law on criminal responsibility, but the girl is 11, shes not that dangerous

I agree with what you said in that first paragraph my only point was that she should have been arrested like anyone any and have restraining tools used upon her if necessary. I am not debating reasonable adjustments here. Make as many reasonable adjustments as you want but don't expect to not get arrested. I suffer from high functioning Autism and severe ADHD myself so I surely do know how tough life is with a disability. I have been denied rights on several occasions so I know how it feels to be treated like an outsider, laughed, mocked, physically assaulted and treated like an animal rather than a human being. If I was arrested I would understand it was the consequences of my own actions and not try to use my disability to my advantage to get out of it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I know the law on criminal responsibility, but the girl is 11, shes not that dangerous

Please, ma'am. If an 11 year old thinks she's about to die she may try and is very capable of killing an adult male. Also seeing someone who is utterly crazy and thrashing about like a fiend because they think they are about to die is a harrowing sight. It will cause you to panic and the first thing you want to do is get that monster restrained.
Original post by TorpidPhil
Please, ma'am. If an 11 year old thinks she's about to die she may try and is very capable of killing an adult male. Also seeing someone who is utterly crazy and thrashing about like a fiend because they think they are about to die is a harrowing sight. It will cause you to panic and the first thing you want to do is get that monster restrained.

im a sir, not a ma'am, and don't call her a monster, that's disgusting that you could see her in that way.
it is going to be more traumatising to be locked up in that way. is she had handcuffs on then how could she seriously harm 2 adult males
im a sir, not a ma'am, and don't call her a monster, that's disgusting that you could see her in that way.
it is going to be more traumatising to be locked up in that way. is she had handcuffs on then how could she seriously harm 2 adult males

By strangling them? Depends on how they handcuffed her. Are you going to complain about her being handcuffed to the rear?

Do we know what the weight of this girl was? Even hwen handcuffed even someone weighs enough and the police officers in question are not so strong (do we know whether police officers were male even? Perhaps they were thin females?) then it can be difficult to move the suspect around if they are kicking with their legs and/or refusing to go with you while also simultaneously spitting in your face. Hence the need for leg restraints and the spit-hood.

Have you ever seen someone actually fight for their life? Whether or not them thinking they are going to die is justified or not they certainly do look like monsters and they become as strong as one too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending