The Student Room Group

AQA MM03 8th June 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

I thought it was really hard... Had to miss out nearly 2 questions :frown: :frown:
I think I dropped like 25 marks there. I couldn't even get the first question. :'(
That was horrible. But, surely the grades boundaries can't be 50 for an A.
Reply 42
Original post by amarkham09
Q1:
a) Gun of mass 1.5kg fired horizontally, bullet of 30g fired at 400m/s horizontally, what's the recoil on the gun? - Answer: 8m/s?
b) What magnitude of impulse does the person need to bring the gun to rest? - Answer - 12 Ns?

I most definitely did not get that… but saying that, I wouldn't have much trust in my answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
I was just thinking
Did you have to subtract 30 grams from the mass of gun or is it already separate? As in 1.2kg is already the mass of gun on its own or gun including the bullet?
Original post by C0balt
I was just thinking
Did you have to subtract 30 grams from the mass of gun or is it already separate? As in 1.2kg is already the mass of gun on its own or gun including the bullet?

1.5kg was the mass of the gun. 30g was the mass of the bullet, so separate.
Reply 45
Original post by C0balt
I was just thinking

If it's at rest at the start it wouldn't matter as it would =0
Reply 46
Original post by Hjyu1
If it's at rest at the start it wouldn't matter as it would =0

It would, wouldn't it?
0= 0.03x400+ (1.2-0.03)v would be different to
0=0.03x400 + 1.2v
Reply 47
Original post by student0042
1.5kg was the mass of the gun. 30g was the mass of the bullet, so separate.

Thank god I at least have 4 marks :P
Any predictions on grade boundaries? I need an A* in this but it's not looking likely. I've dropped at least 10 marks through silly mistakes...
Reply 49
Anyone think that AQA have been abnormally harsh this year? First fp3, then this horrendous exam... BYE UNI
Damn this is unnerving, I wanted to sit M3 instead of D1 for FM but it looks like I dodged a massive bullet. This and FP3 does not bode well for the rest of the Maths exams. :frown:
Original post by Emi1998
Anyone think that AQA have been abnormally harsh this year? First fp3, then this horrendous exam... BYE UNI

I'm all for a challenge, but to have so many 6/7/8 mark questions in one exam paper is just harsh, when usually dropping 7 marks or 8 marks could be the difference between an A and an A*. I recognized two or three questions on that paper that would normally crop up as the last question (e.g. June 2010 for the projectiles) that came up as Q5.
Reply 52
Anyone making a hitler video?
Reply 53
Another thing that really pissed me off is the use of word "line of greatest slope"
Why was it there? I was sitting there thinking "this must be there for a reason, I must be missing something"
You reckon even AQA are able to do their own questions? :frown:

I'll use whatever little faith I have left in this god forsaken exam board to hope for a nice D2 paper. Easy A* and replacement. But we all know that is not going to happen lol.
"There isn't many ways for them to make D2 as challenging." - Yeah mate, I said the same about M3
Original post by C0balt
Another thing that really pissed me off is the use of word "line of greatest slope"
Why was it there? I was sitting there thinking "this must be there for a reason, I must be missing something"

It's always there. It's because that's how gradient is defined in 3D, when dealing with hills etc. There's something called the directional derivative which points in the direction of greatest slope. I see where you're coming from though. I felt uncomfortable with the number of times I saw "Use sin 60 = cos 30 = 1/2". I mean why is that necessary?
(edited 7 years ago)
Never really imagined what castration feel like until that exam
Reply 57
Original post by A Slice of Pi
It's always there. It's because that's how gradient is defined in 3D, when dealing with hills etc. There's something called the directional derivative which points in the direction of greatest slope.

Really ? I can't remember seeing that in the exercises and past papers lol
Original post by C0balt
Really ? I can't remember seeing that in the exercises and past papers lol

Yeah, it's a common assumption but it has nothing to do with the working. They could easily omit that and it would make no difference.
Original post by C0balt

This may be stupid but i thought there may have been a typo in the question, when calculating pq I did it in two steps, but tt was 7 marks so I tthought they may have wanted us to calculate the distance of that line. The more likely issue is that I did that one all wrong, how did you do it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending