The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

I see you have managed....:tongue:
Did anyone else still have an e^u they were unable to get rid of in their equation after they'd substituted in Q7a? If the x^2 in front of the first term of equation 1 was instead an x I'd have got the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Model answers anywhere?
Anybody got pictures of the paper?
Hope this helps soothe the pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yHJBUcwNfU
Original post by ManOfJustTin
There goes my only chance at Warwick:frown:

SAME :'(
Original post by the_sheikh98
Hope this helps soothe the pain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yHJBUcwNfU

True if even hitler couldn't do it what chance did we have?
Reply 1787
My thoughts: dreadful. I'm usually confident after exams, but this was just so unlike an FP2 paper.

1. Inequalities: standard
2. Series: really difficult to spot the method to sum the terms that didn't cancel. I didn't reach the required answer.
3. Complex roots: standard
4. First-order: completely messed it up. The change in variable confused me greatly, and didn't spot the easiest integrating factor ever in part b). Ended up with an integrating factor of 1/(cosec theta + cot theta)^2
5. Taylor series: standard. Worded a bit weirdly, but otherwise nothing away from the norm.
6. Second-order: tricky to do the transformation. Has came up many times recently and I got confused with my chain rule. But otherwise standard once you get the ball rolling.
7. de Moivres: standard
8. Polar coordinates: was a little confused by the decimal limit. If you've done past papers you would've spotted that you needed the area of the sector, then integrate curve C1.

I knew Edexcel would've doubled-down on FP2 given the past few papers have been relatively easy (64-67 for an A).

I think the grade boundaries will be:
A*: 59
A: 55
B: 49
(edited 7 years ago)
What numerical answer did people get for the last part of Q8? I got 63.4 or something but now I think I messed up the numbers somewhere. :redface:
I'm trying to total up my expected marks, can someone remind me what this question was "Tan(x) (5M) + (5M)"? Apparently its Question 6 but i really cant remember it...I'm worried :biggrin:

EDIT: oh, it was the taylors expansion of (x-Pi/3)? or something like that, maybe pi/4?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by oinkk
My thoughts: dreadful. I'm usually confident after exams, but this was just so unlike an FP2 paper.

2. Series: really difficult to spot the method to sum the terms that didn't cancel. I didn't reach the required answer.
4. First-order: completely messed it up. The change in variable confused me greatly, and didn't spot the easiest integrating factor ever in part b).
5. Taylor series: standard. Worded a bit weirdly, but otherwise nothing away from the norm.
6. Second-order: tricky to do the transformation. Has came up many times recently and I got confused with my chain rule. But otherwise standard once you get the ball rolling.
8. Polar coordinates: was a little confused by the decimal limit. If you've done past papers you would've spotted that you needed the area of the sector, then integrate curve C1.

I knew Edexcel would've doubled-down on FP2 given the past few papers have been relatively easy (64-67 for an A).

What do you think the 100 boundary will be? I reckon 72

I think they'll be harsher than what you've said imo
Original post by Baldwinator
Did anyone else still have an e^u they were unable to get rid of in their equation after they'd substituted in Q7a? If the x^2 in front of the first term of equation 1 was instead an x I'd have got the answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had that
Original post by oinkk

4. First-order: completely messed it up. The change in variable confused me greatly, and didn't spot the easiest integrating factor ever in part b).

Oh god I hope you're right about those grade boundaries. But I will keep my expectations high and assume it will be around 66 for A*. 60 for an A. :frown:
Original post by GoAwayTSR
I had that

Yeah I was so confused?
Original post by Student403
[video="youtube;eT6gE51uaTs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT6gE51uaTs[/video]

Whoever made this needs a medal xD

This is gold

(thank you whoever made this, it's really cheered me up after that exam :') )
Original post by oinkk

It was on the hard side but by no means impossible. The only one I'd consider 'very hard' was the integrating of e^2x(sinx) dx. Series was also tricky but everything else has come up many a time in previous papers. I reckon :

65 - 68 for 90 ums
58 - 61 for 80 ums

I'd kill to see the paper again as I had very little to time to check my solutions!
Reply 1796
Terrible. Anybody got any Idea when a model mark scheme may be available?
Original post by Inges
Terrible. Anybody got any Idea when a model mark scheme may be available?

MS building in process
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4150403
Does anyone remember the first order differentials questions with p, q and r?? The first part of the question.
Original post by oinkk

4. First-order: completely messed it up. The change in variable confused me greatly, and didn't spot the easiest integrating factor ever in part b). Ended up with an integrating factor of 1/(cosec theta + cot theta)^2

U high brah? I'd advise you not to give people false hope. Those are way too low and we both know that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending