The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS/A2 Mathematics M1 - 8th June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1540
Original post by SirRaza97
I thought it was because the front cover looked like this (from previous IAL paper):

A standard paper looks like this:

I mean I could be wrong of course. That's my reasoning.

In the exam it looks like that so you cant see straight away how many questions there are in the paper. Besides this is standard edexcel layout
Original post by lucabrasi98
What even is an IAL paper? The international papers?

Oh i guess that'd be fine. Although oads of people in my class literally just wrote 45 degrees from the horizontal then laughed cause I was the only one who got a bearing.

I initially accepted that i was wrong but upon giving it further thought, I think they messed up.

Yeah I wrote 45 from the horizontal but I completely agree that that leaves some uncertainty and a bearing is much better. Although I do find it weird that the 2013 mark scheme doesn't mention a bearing (when really it should lol). Either way, this is the only mark I am unsure about, looks like my further maths grade is salvaged after i almost fell asleep during fp1 becuase i was so exhausted from writing 10 sides for English right before it lol :frown:
Will I get marks if I write the correct answer with working but then circle a different answer?
Original post by SargentZenj2
In the exam it looks like that so you cant see straight away how many questions there are in the paper. Besides this is standard edexcel layout

I remember from last year the layout was like that of the 2nd picture. Mainly becasue my friend missed out 2 whole questions in C2 and we were telling him that it even said at the front how many questions there was.
Original post by SturtScooby
Could someone explain to me why the force exerted by the brick is 15.45N and not just its weight, 14.7N. I understand it's accelerating upwards and so there must be a net upwards force greater than the weight. The difference between the force and the weight is the force required to make it accelerate at 0.5m/s^2, so net upwards =1.5g + 0.5x1.5=15.45. Surely though, this is the force that the pan exerts on the brick and not what the brick exerts on the pan? Or am I correct and have I just messed up when reading the question and it's actually asked me to find the force of the pan on the brick?

Also for 7. Is F2 = 2.5i+2.5j or -3.5i+-3.5j. The two answers are pending on which way you put the ratio to find your answer ie 3(-1+x)=2+x and -1+x=3(2+x). Which one is right? I put the 2.5 one but I now think -3.5 was right. How many marks would I lose if it's wrong?

Lastly, for the diagram, I did something stupid. I drew all of it correctly (so correct height/speed, time they decelerated and time stopped) except I didn't make their lines intersect when they were decelerating. Meaning M was above N for the entirety of the graph except for the stop point. Thus meaning they traveled different distances, which we know is wrong. Do I just lose one mark?

The force that the pan exerts on the brick is equal to the force that the brick exerts on the pan because of Newton's third law.
Original post by lucabrasi98
I'm beginning to think the only answer they'll accept for the last question is 225 as a bearing.

Saying 45 doesn't make sense. It's not specific enough. Your force could be going south east or south west.

Only giving your answer as a bearing leaves no uncertainty to the examiner

Well, I said an anticlockwise angle of 45 from the horizontal. I thought that was specific

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can someone please tell me how many marks the moment question was ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
guys, will I lose marks if I wrote 11.76N instead of 12/11.8 N for 8A ? :frown:
Original post by annehappy

Yes because you have to always round your answers to 3sf or 2sf.
I did the same mistake :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really messed up on question 7....

I had no idea what to do.

Could someone post the solution to 7b?
well that f*****d me up
Original post by annehappy

I dont think so. 11.76 is the exact answer so I would be suprised if you did. Lilkely will have an AWRT (Anything which rounds to 11.8)
I remember from last year the layout was like that of the 2nd picture. Mainly becasue my friend missed out 2 whole questions in C2 and we were telling him that it even said at the front how many questions there was.

They just standardised their front covers to what it is for every other Pearson/edexcel exam. Basically all the GCSEs and other A-level papers look like this. We sat a UK paper today.
does anybody know how many marks the moments question was altogether?
Original post by MagneticFlux
I don't remember the paper that well but I think this is what I got

F1=i+2jF_1=-i+2j and let F2=λ(i+j)F_2=\lambda (i+j)

then Fresultant=F1+F2=(1+λ)i+(2+λ)jF_{resultant} = F_1+F_2= (-1+\lambda)i+(2+\lambda)j

since we know that the resultant force is in the direction of i+3ji+3j

3(1+λ)=(2+λ)[br]λ=2.5[br]F2=2.5i+2.5j[br]Fresultant=1.5(i+3j) 3(-1+\lambda)=(2+\lambda)[br]\Rightarrow \lambda =2.5[br]\Rightarrow F_2=2.5i+2.5j[br]\Rightarrow F_{resultant}=1.5(i+3j)

Also for the last question it asked for the direction of the force exerted on the pulley. So if your taking the pulley as the origin and the north being upwards perpendicular to the table, then the bearing would be 225. But if you drew the diagram with arrows and angles, you'll probably still get it. Your other answers look familiar but I can't really say a mark with certainty - maybe mid 60s depending on that moments q.

This looks correct, or at least mutual. Im expecting the same amount of marks, I believe I only made mistakes on the lift-esk Question, and a final step in the Impulse Question.

All in all a happy paper :smile:
Original post by QuantumStuff
I really messed up on question 7....

I had no idea what to do.

Could someone post the solution to 7b?

7b told you the acceleration and the velocity of P at t=0. Can't remember the values. Acceleration is rate of change of velocity or in other words delta v/delta t = a. So you find delta v byt multiplying the acc. by 3 (3 = delta t). That value is the amount the velocity of P changed by from t=0 to t=3. So you add the starting velocity and the change in velocity. That gives you the velocity at t=3. Then you use pythagoras to find the speed and there you have it. Hope that makes sense.
Original post by LukeB98
They just standardised their front covers to what it is for every other Pearson/edexcel exam. Basically all the GCSEs and other A-level papers look like this. We sat a UK paper today.

Okay. Thanks for clearing it up for me
Original post by Tas0920

7 marks altogether
7b told you the acceleration and the velocity of P at t=0. Can't remember the values. Acceleration is rate of change of velocity or in other words delta v/delta t = a. So you find delta v byt multiplying the acc. by 3 (3 = delta t). That value is the amount the velocity of P changed by from t=0 to t=3. So you add the starting velocity and the change in velocity. That gives you the velocity at t=3. Then you use pythagoras to find the speed and there you have it. Hope that makes sense.

I used V = u + at to work out the Velocity at t=3. Then used pythagoras to work out speed.

Does that sound okay?
Original post by Tas0920

7 i think

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending