The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Reply 420
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
Anyone get any information about conflict over energy in countries NOT between them. So far I only have NIMBY-ism in the UK and the aversion to new oil technologies such as oil-sands and oil-shale in North America.

There is conflict in Nigeria between the Onogi people and the Government & TNCs over oil extraction
This article gives some details :http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14398659
Reply 421
Original post by throwaway1234567
Does anyone have any model answers or model exam question structures for each type of question in Unit 3? As in the 10, 15, 12 and 14 mark questions? I'm self-taught and haven't been able to find any resources online for this.

Hi, if your talking about section A there is the past papers available on the Edexcel website.
If you are talking about Section B (prerelease) the questions are hard to predict, however, my teacher gave us a couple of ideas. We could be asked about how they meet or don't meet the criteria to become superpowers or what is threatening them/what challenges they might experience in becoming a superpower
Original post by Curlot
Hi, if your talking about section A there is the past papers available on the Edexcel website.
If you are talking about Section B (prerelease) the questions are hard to predict, however, my teacher gave us a couple of ideas. We could be asked about how they meet or don't meet the criteria to become superpowers or what is threatening them/what challenges they might experience in becoming a superpower

Original post by ramanjassal98
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=7C86811CE0CF9FBF!57632&authkey=!AMx5u8pRsKY6n6E&ithint=folder%2c

The teachers booklet I've uploaded from ZigZag has questions towards the end with mark schemes.

Thanks, very helpful stuff!

Another question is, how would you structure each type of question? Do you include an introduction and conclusion? How many points for 10, 15, 12 or 14? Would you include evaluation for all of these types of questions?
Thanks a lot
Anyone get any information about conflict over energy in countries NOT between them. So far I only have NIMBY-ism in the UK and the aversion to new oil technologies such as oil-sands and oil-shale in North America.

South Korea have little to no energy reserves and are below 2.5 on the ESI. They have lots of nuclear plants but they have had political pressure from the USA not to and also anti-nuclear protests from different groups within the country due to fears over radiation risk and lack of knowledge of its complications.
Reply 424
Original post by throwaway1234567
Thanks, very helpful stuff!

Another question is, how would you structure each type of question? Do you include an introduction and conclusion? How many points for 10, 15, 12 or 14? Would you include evaluation for all of these types of questions?
Thanks a lot

I have tried writing a couple of these questions and I structure them with an introduction and conclusion and three or four paragraphs depending on how much the questions worth:smile:
What are the approaches to reducing the development gap (is it tourism, aid, debt relief, trade, FDI, etc?) and anyone have any examples?
any ideas on water conflicts and energy questions?
Anyone got any good ideas or notes on the MDGs? Like if they were met/criticisms. Thanks:smile:
China is feeding its economy more so than India's.

Russia signed a deal with China to build the SPUR pipeline by which Russia supplies China with 15 million tonnes of oil each year for twenty years in exchange of a loan worth $25 billion to Russian companies Transneft & Rosneft for pipeline and oil fields development.

This is great for Energy Security & Section B.
Reply 429
Anyone think that physical factors could come up for a 10 marker in water?
Original post by JoshFlySon
What are the approaches to reducing the development gap (is it tourism, aid, debt relief, trade, FDI, etc?) and anyone have any examples?

For tourism you can use Ecotourism though I cannot think of an example at the top of my head (can anyone help out?)

Debt relief is more of an ongoing strategy used to allow more money from developing countries to be used in education, healthcare and infrastructure rather than spend it paying back loans with huge amounts of interest.

I think trade is the big subject here. Without trade, countries find it hard to develop. The WTO encourages trade however trade between developing nations is often exploited by the developed world via high tariffs on imports and regulations the developing world needs to meet. Trade can also be argued as a Westernised way of developing and it should be argued that countries are individual and develop uniquely.

FDI and TNCs can be linked- Nike in Indonesia, south to south links between China and Africa (Nigeria's pipeline and Sudan's oilfields)

AID- Bi-lateral and multi-lateral, top down and bottom up strategies, aid is a great way to allow developing countries to develop. However the aid needs to be effective and sustainable.
Original post by kevvvvvv
any ideas on water conflicts and energy questions?

energy:
- costs and benefits of looking for new source
- responses to growing energy demand
- players in energy
For tourism you can use Ecotourism though I cannot think of an example at the top of my head (can anyone help out?)

Debt relief is more of an ongoing strategy used to allow more money from developing countries to be used in education, healthcare and infrastructure rather than spend it paying back loans with huge amounts of interest.

I think trade is the big subject here. Without trade, countries find it hard to develop. The WTO encourages trade however trade between developing nations is often exploited by the developed world via high tariffs on imports and regulations the developing world needs to meet. Trade can also be argued as a Westernised way of developing and it should be argued that countries are individual and develop uniquely.

FDI and TNCs can be linked- Nike in Indonesia, south to south links between China and Africa (Nigeria's pipeline and Sudan's oilfields)

AID- Bi-lateral and multi-lateral, top down and bottom up strategies, aid is a great way to allow developing countries to develop. However the aid needs to be effective and sustainable.

Thank you! ecotourism in costa rica or kenya maybe
China is feeding its economy more so than India's.

Russia signed a deal with China to build the SPUR pipeline by which Russia supplies China with 15 million tonnes of oil each year for twenty years in exchange of a loan worth $25 billion to Russian companies Transneft & Rosneft for pipeline and oil fields development.

This is great for Energy Security & Section B.

Russia is also building the ESPO (East Siberia-Pacific Ocean) pipeline to North East China. Which is good as most of the population is in East China. It was completed in 2013 and is 2,600 miles long.
Disruption to energy pathways- what are the economic impacts and political impacts of such a disruption?

What case studies would everyone use? I'm thinking Russia/Ukraine conflict, Middle East conflict, anything else?

Here is a Gulf War fact:
In 1991, 600 Kuwaiti oil wells were set on fire by Iraqi troops after the first Gulf War. The fires burned for 8 months. Not only did this impact upon the oil production of the country, but caused great economic losses in the economy, as services were also required to put the fire out.
Disruption to energy pathways- what are the economic impacts and political impacts of such a disruption?

What case studies would everyone use? I'm thinking Russia/Ukraine conflict, Middle East conflict, anything else?

Here is a Gulf War fact:
In 1991, 600 Kuwaiti oil wells were set on fire by Iraqi troops after the first Gulf War. The fires burned for 8 months. Not only did this impact upon the oil production of the country, but caused great economic losses in the economy, as services were also required to put the fire out.

I think something worth mentioning is Hurricane Ike. The natural hazard caused a dramatic increase in gas prices in the south-east Texas region.

Here is a Gulf War fact:

6 million barrels of oil lost per day.
I think something worth mentioning is Hurricane Ike. The natural hazard caused a dramatic increase in gas prices in the south-east Texas region.

You could mention Hurricane Katerina or Buncefield fuel depot, fire caused £10 million loss in fuel, supplied nearby airport of Heathrow, so airport had to ration fuel and many long haul flights had to make extra stops to fuel up.
Could I get away with using water and energy stats for China and India as well as all the stuff in the pre release for section B of the paper? Havent really revised for section B as most of it seems to be in the paper
Reply 439
Original post by Tom5pence
Could I get away with using water and energy stats for China and India as well as all the stuff in the pre release for section B of the paper? Havent really revised for section B as most of it seems to be in the paper

Yeah I think examiners like it when you link the sections together

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending