The Student Room Group

Do you reckon we will leave the eu?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by karl pilkington
how can things like national sovereignty and immigration be hollow things they are the opposite of hollow

they're illusions, their value is open to interpretation, do you really think some lower class person who has 2 children and barely enough money to feed them and is risking losing a job gives two hoots about sovereignty and 'getting democracy back'. These things are just playwords for the upper-middle class. While immigration is important in this case, with regard to my original point it is invalid because we would still get plenty of immigrants outside of the EU - just the 'where from' changes.

Strong things are the simple facts, such as remaining in the EU gives us economic integrity, which directly leads to more jobs. The only people who care about sovereignty are people who haven't seen enough of the world to realise its irrelevant.
I think there'll be a silent majority voting to stay. Just like all things with this, the side taking more drastic action (whether that be Britain leaving the EU, Scotland leaving Britain etc.) is always the side making the most noise in the campaign. But then the other side gains the most votes from people less willing to state their position on the topic. So I think the silent majority in Britain will vote for Britain to stay, just like the silent majority in Scotland voted to remain in Britain.
Original post by whitingh
I think there'll be a silent majority voting to stay. Just like all things with this, the side taking more drastic action (whether that be Britain leaving the EU, Scotland leaving Britain etc.) is always the side making the most noise in the campaign. But then the other side gains the most votes from people less willing to state their position on the topic. So I think the silent majority in Britain will vote for Britain to stay, just like the silent majority in Scotland voted to remain in Britain.

Maybe it's because we are using common sense in Scotland,btw,it's not for the love of David Cameron the majority up here are voting to remain,trust me on that.
Original post by EuanF

There's also the Scottish tactical vote to consider. If they want independence, their best move is to vote to leave the EU then try to use it as a mandate to leave the UK.

I don't really believe this is a thing. I think a decent number of Scots voted for independence because of the fear of being dragged out of the EU by England. To now vote to leave in the hope we can get independence and rejoin the EU (realistically using the Euro) would be madness imo.
Original post by Hendrix Lives
Maybe it's because we are using common sense in Scotland,btw,it's not for the love of David Cameron the majority up here are voting to remain,trust me on that.

Yeah, but the EU referendum isn't and shouldn't be a political thing i.e. voting to leave the EU simply because you don't like David Cameron would be moronic. The referendum is about the future of Britain rather than the future of David Cameron's career.
Original post by High Stakes
The UK is better off in the EU. The majority of the reasons to leave the EU aren't really substantial or supported by a lot of evidence. The benefits of staying outweigh the costs.

How is u btw?

Paying more for free trade than the same trade with WTO tariffs, along with paying to let the country be flooded with unskilled migrants is net positive?
Original post by Elivercury
I don't really believe this is a thing. I think a decent number of Scots voted for independence because of the fear of being dragged out of the EU by England. To now vote to leave in the hope we can get independence and rejoin the EU (realistically using the Euro) would be madness imo.

Well, their initial logic was madness there, independence would have meant rejoining the EU in 10 years with the Euro, so it's hardly different.
Original post by Jammy Duel
Well, their initial logic was madness there, independence would have meant rejoining the EU in 10 years with the Euro, so it's hardly different.

Can agree to disagree. Plenty of people felt it was worth opting for and the situation with whether Scotland would be able to stay within Europe was never clear-cut. It's ultimately fairly moot now anyway.

But I still don't see many Scots voting to leave the EU so that we can force an independence vote.
Original post by Elivercury
Can agree to disagree. Plenty of people felt it was worth opting for and the situation with whether Scotland would be able to stay within Europe was never clear-cut. It's ultimately fairly moot now anyway.

But I still don't see many Scots voting to leave the EU so that we can force an independence vote.

The position was made pretty clear, but the SNP didn't like it. And a lot more scots than people think will vote to leave

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by whitingh
Yeah, but the EU referendum isn't and shouldn't be a political thing i.e. voting to leave the EU simply because you don't like David Cameron would be moronic. The referendum is about the future of Britain rather than the future of David Cameron's career.

Thats true though tbh,i feel as voting the devil's son.
Original post by Defraction
If we leave, we won't know what the future awaits of us.

If we stay, EU can bully us whenever they want.

For the sake of our future, I think we should stay.

yeah, for the sake of our bullied future.. :|
Original post by sleepysnooze
yeah, for the sake of our bullied future.. :|

One punch there, a karate kick to our head.

Quite sad, indeed.
Original post by High Stakes
The UK is better off in the EU. The majority of the reasons to leave the EU aren't really substantial or supported by a lot of evidence. The benefits of staying outweigh the costs.

How is u btw?

Exactly! Those who want to leave have just picked up stupid unsupported opinions from the right wingers and they now think they're experts in European politics

I'm v good tho pls hows u??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending