The Student Room Group

AQA Geography tourism case study

Did anyone else do Kenya for the last case study question on tourism?
Reply 1
Yeah I did, some of my friends did Jamaica :biggrin:

Original post by luciie
Did anyone else do Kenya for the last case study question on tourism?
Reply 2
What did you guys write about it?
Reply 3
I did Tataquara lodge because the questions before it were on ecotourism.. idk
I did the kenyan ecolodge in Lamu, I wasn't sure if it was asking for eco tourism or not but I did it anyway
My teacher said either
Jaimaica/Kenya Talking about community tourism and eco tourism within it or Tataquara Lodge

i did jamaica, it was more straight forward...
WHat did you get for the labelling leete one? I got B, C innercity and suburbs
What did u get for the first Q on Pop Change with the graphs and do u remember any figures u may have used???
Aso what did u write for the dfference between wco and mass tourism? I said that there is more economic leakage in mass tourism as there are many foreign companies and for the eco tourism it all goes to the locals and no economic leakage but my friends said something different

Also for the Population change last Q... 11 MARKS i did indonesia.... what were u meant to tale about for this

And can someone also tell me what they for the jamaica tourism 11 marker, like.... how much detail
I used The Galapagos Island and talked about sustainable tourism, ecotourism, jobs for locals and things like that.
Do you think this is okay? I was going to do Jamaica, but I changed my mind for some reason!
Original post by amanii_ox
My teacher said either
Jaimaica/Kenya Talking about community tourism and eco tourism within it or Tataquara Lodge

i did jamaica, it was more straight forward...
WHat did you get for the labelling leete one? I got B, C innercity and suburbs
What did u get for the first Q on Pop Change with the graphs and do u remember any figures u may have used???
Aso what did u write for the dfference between wco and mass tourism? I said that there is more economic leakage in mass tourism as there are many foreign companies and for the eco tourism it all goes to the locals and no economic leakage but my friends said something different

Also for the Population change last Q... 11 MARKS i did indonesia.... what were u meant to tale about for this

And can someone also tell me what they for the jamaica tourism 11 marker, like.... how much detail

yesss I did Jamaica also for the labelling I got I think CA as the mosque was inner city and the business park was suburbs since its a fairly modern thing. For populaiton change you talk about asia increasing and the others not so much note ocesanis foesnt chang. difference is that ecotourism = less people. for population i did china's 2 CHILD Policy. Finally, for Jamazica, yoi talk about 1) Community tourism, means no hotels etc. preserves the enviornment, also ecotourism means you can simply view wildlife sancturies, without being obtrusive to animals, so you dont harm them, also Jamaica is trying to promote inland areas such as Blue Mountains so tourism is more spread around = less foot erosion, and then I explained these.
Reply 8
Yes, I did. I talked about balloon and horseback safaris instead of traditional jeep safaris and how they reduced congestion. I also talked about golf city in Nairobi and how this reduced reliance on honeypot sites in the national park. I then talked about how the entry fees from the parks are re-invested in rangers to protect wildlife.
Reply 9
Oh and BTW our mass tourism case study is Kenya and our ecotourism case study is Tataquara lodge.
People who did tourism, what did you put for the annotating the graph of tourism change??
It was a very tricky question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did Kenya, however I think Tataquara lodge is also acceptable because it kind of reduces negative impacts on the environment tourism has such as the use of electricity; Tataquara lodge uses solar panels which doesn't in anyway disrupt the income of the lodge.

On the other hand, there is a distinct difference in the specification between an ecotourism case study and tropical area case study.
Original post by TracyEmu
People who did tourism, what did you put for the annotating the graph of tourism change??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well it said to suggest reasons so really you could've put anything within reason. I put about weather (good and bad), London Olympics in 2012 and (sorry to mention this) the 7/7 bombings.
Original post by BTAnonymous
Well it said to suggest reasons so really you could've put anything within reason. I put about weather (good and bad), London Olympics in 2012 and (sorry to mention this) the 7/7 bombings.

I was going to put the 7/7 terrorist attacks as well but then I saw tourism actually increased from 2005-9 so I put 9/11 as there was a clear dip between 2001-3. The impacts didn't have to be explicitly British, did they?
On the graph I but about 9/11 bombings creating fear, the global recession and cheap flights creating a greater demand for holidays
Original post by BTAnonymous

i put thev availability of cars,= more affordable, increased salaries and recession is tht ok?
Original post by JoshuaE
I was going to put the 7/7 terrorist attacks as well but then I saw tourism actually increased from 2005-9 so I put 9/11 as there was a clear dip between 2001-3. The impacts didn't have to be explicitly British, did they?

The graph had a small section for context above the graph about England so I assumed it was England and I hope it is! :dong:
Reply 17
Original post by TracyEmu

Posted from TSR Mobile

I couldn't remember the year for 7/7 so just put terrorist attacks such as 7/7 and 9/11 scared. I mentioned end of banking crisis so more disposable income. And also swine flu - sure that was early 2000s sometime and we learnt about it as an external factor

Quick Reply