The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel History - Unit 3 - Option A - Revolution and Conflict in England

Scroll to see replies

Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Good luck to you too.
Are you finished revising for the exam tomorrow or are you still going to be revising?

I'm revising:
9:45-10:45pm -> civil war 1642-46.
11-12:15pm -> Side-taking.
12:30-1:30am -> Personal rule.

I'm going to recap side taking in the morning a bit more in before the exam.
I just hope the sources are easy to analyse for side-taking.

I'm really happy at the thought of burning my history books tomorrow. #NeverAgain

What time are you going to sleep?! Seriously, a good night's sleep is so important, the last thing you want is to be tired whilst sitting the exam.

I plan to go to bed at quarter to 11 and I thought that was too late. :tongue:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
Good luck to you too.
Are you finished revising for the exam tomorrow or are you still going to be revising?

I'm revising:
9:45-10:45pm -> civil war 1642-46.
11-12:15pm -> Side-taking.
12:30-1:30am -> Personal rule.

I'm going to recap side taking in the morning a bit more in before the exam.
I just hope the sources are easy to analyse for side-taking.

I'm really happy at the thought of burning my history books tomorrow. #NeverAgain

I'm still revising now! Just gonna go over Commonwealth and Restoration again and then do few more essay plans then sleep and look over in the morning.
I hope so too!
And me too hahaha, pray for us all :smile:
Pretty solid personal rule question, and side taking came up! pretty happy:smile: How'd the rest of you find it?
Reply 63
Personal Rule question was really lovely; I discussed Laud, Wentworth with plenty of evaluation and the Ship Money case though I didn't really focus on the word "growing" though.. it was so good in fact I spent too much time on it and didn't have time to finish the 40 marker which went pretty woefully. There was limited opportunities in the sources to cross reference I found, and I didn't really structure it very well, I think I used to much own knowledge and I made a big mistake by tying in class to culture, even though they had nothing to do with each other..

Oh well..
Original post by sidney1
Personal Rule question was really lovely; I discussed Laud, Wentworth with plenty of evaluation and the Ship Money case though I didn't really focus on the word "growing" though.. it was so good in fact I spent too much time on it and didn't have time to finish the 40 marker which went pretty woefully. There was limited opportunities in the sources to cross reference I found, and I didn't really structure it very well, I think I used to much own knowledge and I made a big mistake by tying in class to culture, even though they had nothing to do with each other..

Oh well..

I feel your struggle man. The first question was great. I knew a personal rule, or civil war question would come up. However, the section B was not as good as the first one. It was not hard, but I just found time management hard to focus on.
The second source did not have a lot on religion did it?
Original post by sidney1

Oh well..

Also for the first question did you talk about Buckhingham and his influence? or Henretta Maria and her possible influence?
Reply 66
No, obviously Source 7 had religion and I mentioned how Source 8 had religion as well, though it was pretty weak as it was a different type of religion. That was about it.

Original post by StevieGrg
Also for the first question did you talk about Buckhingham and his influence? or Henretta Maria and her possible influence?

No, I did not. I would have possibly and possibly wanted to mention Noy (the attorney general) but didn't have enough time. I particularly spent a lot of time on Laud and tied him into the Scottish crisis. I don't think mentioning other advisers was absolutely necessary, though it would have been nice if you went into detail with Laud and Strafford.
Guys I feel like my section a essay went well on the personal rule because I used stuff from a similar essay I wrote which was A*. BUT I didn't have enough time to write a conclusion for section a. :bawling:
I ended up writing about 5 and a half sides for section a and all my 4 paragraphs were very evaluative and extensive. I also made sure I directly stuck to the question so there should be minimal waffle. How many marks do you think I would have dropped for having no conclusion? I asked my teacher and she said not to worry and I wouldn't have lost many marks.

Section B's sources were quite tough on side-taking, for source 7 I could barely find any links so I just contrasted it against the other sources. I was able to completely finish my section b essay, having said that my last paragraph was poorer than my first two since I was running out of time. My conclusion compared to the rest of essay was pretty crap too since I literally had 3 mins to write it.

I just hope I have done enough to get an A overall.
That moment yoiu knew all the answers, revision worked well BUT you wrote a crap essay anyway.
Personal Rule was good, discussed Strafford, his methods in Ireland and linked the fact that he persuaded Charles to recall parliament which ultimately allowed opposition to take form and structure (although most grievances were directed towards him anyway, so choice of advisors more significant cause of opposition than grievances!). Then discussed Laud and the Prynne, Burton & Bastwick case, then counter argued that it was Charles' financial devices that caused opposition, but pointed out that there were no rebellions/major opposition to finance, and the only significant threat to PR was the Bishops' War - a war over religion & Laudian changes! Overall, it was okay and hope I did enough evaluation, analysis, detail etc etc. EDIT - oh I didn't really focus on the "growing" nature of opposition, will this matter massively?! (although I did highlight, albeit subtly, that the Bishops War and parliamentary opposition came after Laud and Strafford's changes, so hope the examiner can read between the lines!)

Section B - anyone do Cromwell? The question and the sources were nice, but I felt as though what I was writing was a bit jumbled, and was writing the conclusion with three minutes to go! I did three paragraphs: his failure to manage parliament; fear of a military dictatorship; and his contrasting aims.

Oh well, only time will tell guys
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ArtisticFlair
Personal Rule was good, discussed Strafford, his methods in Ireland and linked the fact that he persuaded Charles to recall parliament which ultimately allowed opposition to take form and structure (although most grievances were directed towards him anyway, so choice of advisors more significant cause of opposition than grievances!). Then discussed Laud and the Prynne, Burton & Bastwick case, then counter argued that it was Charles' financial devices that caused opposition, but pointed out that there were no rebellions/major opposition to finance, and the only significant threat to PR was the Bishops' War - a war over religion & Laudian changes! Overall, it was okay and hope I did enough evaluation, analysis, detail etc etc. EDIT - oh I didn't really focus on the "growing" nature of opposition, will this matter massively?! (although I did highlight, albeit subtly, that the Bishops War and parliamentary opposition came after Laud and Strafford's changes, so hope the examiner can read between the lines!)

Section B - anyone do Cromwell? The question and the sources were nice, but I felt as though what I was writing was a bit jumbled, and was writing the conclusion with three minutes to go! I did three paragraphs: his failure to manage parliament; fear of a military dictatorship; and his contrasting aims.

Oh well, only time will tell guys

I argued differently that ultimate responsibility rests with Charles, focusing on Laud, Wentworth and Charle's illegal taxes. I also answered the protectorate question and found it difficult to get a focused line of argument. I ended up saying that the real problem was not his poor management of parliament but that MPs feared the power he held as a non-monarch and as the head of the army, which I thought I was able to support pretty well from the sources. I didn't get the time to drive home my point with a decent conclusion which might cost me. overall a 7/10 exam, dragged up heavily by the beauty of a section A.
Reply 71
HI, Does anyone know any good revision guides for this section of the unit?
anyone have any predictions for the 2016 paper?
Reply 73
Hey everyone, this is slightly unrelated I guess but I can't seem to find anyone else whose doing this unit, is anyone here doing Unit 3B 'Politics , protest and revolution' on the French Revolution? Its on 10th June, if so, please please could you tell me any question predictions you know? which areas?
Question predictions???
Original post by ohgod897
Hey everyone, this is slightly unrelated I guess but I can't seem to find anyone else whose doing this unit, is anyone here doing Unit 3B 'Politics , protest and revolution' on the French Revolution? Its on 10th June, if so, please please could you tell me any question predictions you know? which areas?

Hi! I'm doing this.
So annoying I haven't been able to find a thread either.
My teacher has predicted:
1. Napoleon's reforms
2. The Directory
3. The terror.

hope this helps and good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Nikhilm
Question predictions???

hitler and dat
Original post by AmarPatel98
hitler and dat

Stop trolling
Reply 78
Any one doing the Protest Crisis and Rebellion question for this paper? If so what do you think the 30m will be on - specifically the Tudor one and not on Anglo Spanish Relations
Original post by fabruttledge
Hi! I'm doing this.
So annoying I haven't been able to find a thread either.
My teacher has predicted:
1. Napoleon's reforms
2. The Directory
3. The terror.

hope this helps and good luck!

Thank goodness I've finally found people on here doing French Rev!!!

I'm predicting Napoleon seeing as it's only come up twice since 2010. Also the terror is a great shout because that's basically not come up for ages.

I am so scared for this exam!

Quick Reply