The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 600
I've officially done all my mocks and most the questions from step 2 and 3 past papers that I'd pick. Should I go back through the 2 and 3 papers and try and find some more questions I can attempt or should I do some step 1 (bearing in mind my offer is in 2 and 3)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fa991
I've officially done all my mocks and most the questions from step 2 and 3 past papers that I'd pick. Should I go back through the 2 and 3 papers and try and find some more questions I can attempt or should I do some step 1 (bearing in mind my offer is in 2 and 3)?

Depends on whether you think you need more practice at doing STEP in timed conditions, or doing hard STEP III questions. I think recent STEP I papers are reasonably difficult, so you could do those as mocks. Or you could look at questions from before 2003 or wherever you started from, although some of them will be on topics that are no longer on the A-level syllabus.
Original post by jjsnyder
Hey sorry for the late reply, my school blocks TSR for some reason so I'm rarely on it, but your explanation seems sound to me. How did the mock go?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah no problem! I mean I sort of screwed it up to be honest. I got 6 fulls but made so many silly manipulation errors. I hope it was due to doing it in a boiling hot room though :tongue: Just scraped an S hopefully, but I was literally throwing away 5 marks at a time. How did it go for u?

(also my notifications dont seem to be working)
Original post by EnglishMuon
ah no problem! I mean I sort of screwed it up to be honest. I got 6 fulls but made so many silly manipulation errors. I hope it was due to doing it in a boiling hot room though :tongue: Just scraped an S hopefully, but I was literally throwing away 5 marks at a time. How did it go for u?

(also my notifications dont seem to be working)

Ahh shame, good paper for me, ended up with 112 which is my best STEP I score so far, hopefully Tuesday goes well. Doing II 2015 on Saturday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jjsnyder
Ahh shame, good paper for me, ended up with 112 which is my best STEP I score so far, hopefully Tuesday goes well. Doing II 2015 on Saturday :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! Ill try and do II either later today or tomorrow :smile:
Original post by Glavien
Do you have to recognise that by looking at the first part or is there some sort of logic?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Logic I would use / thought process:
"Question says to use part (i) so I need to relate to f(x) somehow. In this part, we have three boundaries for the region. First two don't look that useful for this, but final condition looks similar to f(x) when, using the result, it is rearranged to (x+2a)327a2x (x+2a)^3 \geq 27a^2x . "
Then you just need to notice that the conditions are relatable by setting a=y a=y which is clear when you want to relate the (x+2a)3 (x+2a)^3 and x+2y x+2y terms
(edited 7 years ago)
Just finished STEP 2015 what a joke LOL 100%
Original post by StrangeBanana
which paper?

STEP 3
Original post by Armpits
STEP 3

which questions did you do?
Reply 609
Original post by StrangeBanana
which questions did you do?

Probably questions i, i^3, i^5, i^7, i^9, i^11.
Original post by Alex_Aits
Logic I would use / thought process:
"Question says to use part (i) so I need to relate to f(x) somehow. In this part, we have three boundaries for the region. First two don't look that useful for this, but final condition looks similar to f(x) when, using the result, it is rearranged to (x+2a)327a2x (x+2a)^3 \geq 27a^2x . "
Then you just need to notice that the conditions are relatable by setting a=y a=y which is clear when you want to relate the (x+2a)3 (x+2a)^3 and x+2y x+2y terms

Thanks that was really useful! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
My god STEP II 1991 Q5 was beautiful. I didn't even know about the result where the denominators were even; I love how constants like ln2 and π4\dfrac{\pi}{4} fly outta nowhere with such simple looking series :biggrin:.
(edited 7 years ago)
Anyone here sit the MEI D2 paper today? Wondering how anyone else found it :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
Probably questions i, i^3, i^5, i^7, i^9, i^11.

i was wondering how deep into the troll he was prepared to go

:P not that deep it seems
Reply 614
Original post by IrrationalRoot
My god STEP II 1991 Q5 was beautiful. I didn't even know about the result where the denominators were even; I love how constants like ln2 and π4\dfrac{\pi}{4} fly outta nowhere with such simple looking series :biggrin:.

Haha, yeah, I did that one two days ago! I was waiting for you to post about it when you asked for help on Q4 of that paper. I was just like "ooh, wait till he says Q5" :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Haha, yeah, I did that one two days ago! I was waiting for you to post about it when you asked for help on Q4 of that paper. I was just like "ooh, wait till he says Q5" :lol:

Haha! To be fair I was finding the Qs on that paper pretty tough and was relieved to be able to bash out such a lovely question in a short length of time; confidence somewhat restored :smile:.
Haha! To be fair I was finding the Qs on that paper pretty tough and was relieved to be able to bash out such a lovely question in a short length of time; confidence somewhat restored :smile:.

How was FP2? Why are people talking about double IBP on TSR official threads? I never did any IBP in the exam.

Other than that, I think it was a pretty standard paper, a bit fiddly for Question 8, but that is the same as how last question of June 2013 was. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Insight314
How was FP2? Why are people talking about double IBP on TSR official threads? I never did any IBP in the exam.

Other than that, I think it was a pretty standard paper, a bit fiddly for Question 8, but that is the same as how last question of June 2013 was. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't do FP2 today, I did C3 :tongue:.
I'm guessing this was EdExcel, but I don't do any EdExcel modules.
In fact I do WJEC Maths and AQA Further Maths, which is pretty weird.
Didn't do FP2 today, I did C3 :tongue:.
I'm guessing this was EdExcel, but I don't do any EdExcel modules.
In fact I do WJEC Maths and AQA Further Maths, which is pretty weird.

I did AQA M3 today for further maths and it was horrendous...
Original post by EnglishMuon
Same to you! Lets just hope they dont clog it with fiddly rubbish to account for its easiness.

lol, I mistook you for IrrationalRoot. Silly me.

Read my reply to IrrationalRoot, it is directed towards you! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending