The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gil727
if there was an 8 marker on landforms associated with tectonic activity, would it ask you to describe the formation of a few of them or just 1 because i dont know enough detail on just one?

landforms associated with tectonic activity can be any landform in plate tectonics right? e.g. fold mountain so im guessing they wont ask you for 1 but they'll ask you for formation of landforms associated with a certain plate margin e.g. destructive (fold mountains, deep sea trench, volcano, island arcs)
Original post by ksanghera
landforms associated with tectonic activity can be any landform in plate tectonics right? e.g. fold mountain so im guessing they wont ask you for 1 but they'll ask you for formation of landforms associated with a certain plate margin e.g. destructive (fold mountains, deep sea trench, volcano, island arcs)

oh yeah of course, thank you!!
Anyone have any predictions for the 25 Marker on Dev and Globe?
Original post by TJ_gym
Ok, what are the best examples for use of re-urbanisation? Could you use london docklands and gentrification etc??

Also causes and impacts of de centralisation has not come up since 2009 (new spec)

My case study for reurbanisation is London dock lands - urban development corporation and enterprise zones and how this stimulates reurbanisation

Why was it necessary? - tilsbury ports outcompeted London ports so area began to decline
How?
1.7 billion public investment
7.7 billion private investment
440 ha land sold
770 ha derelict land revered
24,000 homes developed
136km^2 land sold for commercial use
86,000 jobs
94 awards for architecture
Occurred from 1981-1996
Employment rapidly increased
Funding led to development of 11 primary schools, 2 secondary schools and 3 post 16 colleges
Funding help refurbish 5 health centres

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sacred Ground
World cities
7 - figure on urbanisation
8 - shanty towns
10 - sustainable communities OR partnership scheme successes

Posted from TSR Mobile

what do you mean by shanty towns and sustainable communities? what could they ask?
World cities
7 - figure on urbanisation
8 - shanty towns
10 - sustainable communities OR partnership scheme successes

Posted from TSR Mobile

SHANTY TOWNS?????? Oh ****, what on Earth could they ask on them :') And okay awesome, thank you!!! Sustainability is just waste/transport right?
Reply 1566
Original post by person3867
SHANTY TOWNS?????? Oh ****, what on Earth could they ask on them :':wink: And okay awesome, thank you!!! Sustainability is just waste/transport right?

shanty towns are just slums/favelas arent they? and waste and transport comes into sustainability yeah
Guys what case studies are you using for urbanisation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1568
'Discuss the impact of newly industrialised countries (NICs) on the global economy' (10 marks) - How would you go about answering this question?
these are the points that i have come up with...
NICs have an abundance of cheap labour and less stringent h&s restrictions so offshoring and outsourcing has increased to them meaning that there's cheaper products and more variety of goods for consumers worldwide. but it's led to increased unemployment in MEDCs so the more developed economies gain less tax etc.
NICs such as China have invested in LDCs. they invested more that 21 bill into helping nigeria develop infrastructure which has increased employment opportunities in the area etc.
South Korea is home to big brands such as Samsung which are recognised globally.
are my points too simple?
Original post by person3867
SHANTY TOWNS?????? Oh ****, what on Earth could they ask on them :') And okay awesome, thank you!!! Sustainability is just waste/transport right?

Sustainable communities is BEDZED

With regards to shanty towns, I think they'll ask what they are, where they are, how they occur (rapid urban sprawl) and how they're being managed e.g. In rochina in Rio they're using self help schemes and in dharavi the area for the promotion of resource centres is helping to develop the area I.e. 2000 new flats with 14 foot ceilings with large windows, provide circulation and reduce need for electricity

In dharavi, the government is also helping with plans to demolish the shanty town and develop 7 story tenable flats

If you require help, PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MiriamSandhu
Guys what case studies are you using for urbanisation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sub - Los Angeles
Counter - st Ives, Cambridge
Re - London dock lands
Urbanisation - Mumbai

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sustainable communities is BEDZED

With regards to shanty towns, I think they'll ask what they are, where they are, how they occur (rapid urban sprawl) and how they're being managed e.g. In rochina in Rio they're using self help schemes and in dharavi the area for the promotion of resource centres is helping to develop the area I.e. 2000 new flats with 14 foot ceilings with large windows, provide circulation and reduce need for electricity

In dharavi, the government is also helping with plans to demolish the shanty town and develop 7 story tenable flats

If you require help, PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would Curitiba be an example of a sustainable community? eg. transport, waste, land management etc
Reply 1572
Original post by ksanghera

Trenches/ island arcs was 2014
And landforms associated with constructive was last year... So I doubt it will be another landform
Original post by Tongeyyy
Would Curitiba be an example of a sustainable community? eg. transport, waste, land management etc

Yeah I'd say so. I personally have learnt a specific community called BEDZED in the London borough of Sutton, it's basically environmentally friendly housing developed by the architect bill dunster and Peabody trust

I have other case studies for waste and transport management, but it seems no one has learnt a community specifically

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1574
As long as I make content appropriate can I use Manchester as a reurbanisation example?
Reply 1575
What are other services in urban areas except retail?
Original post by SJJ97
As long as I make content appropriate can I use Manchester as a reurbanisation example?

Definitely, if you explain how the development of industry etc has stimulated reurbanisation that's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SJJ97
What are other services in urban areas except retail?

Leisure centres? Job centres? Offices?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can somebody pls share their notes on re-urbanisation I am so confused?

Posted from TSR Mobile
So please could someone tell me predictions for the 40 mark world cities essay? Pleeeaseeee.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending