The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Do you think PSYA4 will be easier or harder than this one? Because I thought this was one was pretty good, so I'm hoping that will continue.
Original post by Olijm
Okay so that went awful. For the evolutionary theories for aggression it threw me so much as it didnt say "group display" or the other sub topics so i just waffled about evolution which i think was wrong. Although, i did evaluate with made up studies (they sounded true) would i get some marks? I also said IDA about the explanation being reductionist etc so that should get 1/2 marks right?

Making studies up is risky because as others have said examiners will check an unfamiliar study. Ida will get credited if relevant so if you didnt link your previous points ans threw ida in the end i doubt youll get marks, as they expect cohrent flow. So if in youre idas tou mentioned what you talked about then its fine.
Reply 3462
For sleep, did you have to write about 2 different examples about circadian rhythms bc the question was worded similat to 'explain the roles of endogenous pacemakers and exogenous zeitgebers for the control of circadian rhythmS'

I hope im just overthinking this
Original post by Onica
I wrote about sport for group displays and infidelity and jealousy because it said explanation(s) so I guessed that they wanted a variety of explanations for the evolutionary approach - did I do correct?

Yeah I did too, but with war and I only did a tiny bit about war and group display at the end! It's hard to say whether by explanation(s) they meant write about sexual jealousy and infidelity AND group display or just one, and each theory counted as 2 explanations.

I kind of think they'll count sexual jealousy and infidelity as 1 explanation so I think we were right to write a bit about group display too.
Original post by yasx_
That's such a relief lol thanks

It was!!! :biggrin:

Was the last question on psychological or biological effects of eating ?
Original post by wickedisgood
It really was tbh,,, it basically gave you the choice of whichever question you wanted. Bless.
Also I started writing about formation and actually forgot half my studies so I just threw in a bunch of maintenance stuff last minute so I really think that saved me for that one.

You may have actually hindered yourself, when doing two theories like formation or maintenace if you do both they have to be equal. AQA have said this, as in if you do 90% one theory and then add a few things from the other you may limot band. Did you mention an equal amount of formation and mainteance?
Reply 3466
Even though the aggression question said explanations i.e. plural, it's still okay if you just outline and evaluate one right? A lot of people on here did 2 and I'm just wondering if you get marked down for only mentioning one.. (I don't think so though) I did sexual infidelity and jealousy
Original post by Louise red
Was the last question on psychological or biological effects of eating ?

Biological explanations of anorexia nervosa

X
Reply 3468
Did anyone do Intelligence?
Revises formation night before
Writes maintenance memorized from a few weeks
PSYA3 summed up

The questions for relationships, eating and aggression were pretty much great although my handwriting was horrendous, grade boundaries are also gunna be high i think
Original post by pentagonath
Anyone aware of whether or not talking specifically about Circadian Biorhythms and contextualising endogenous and exogenous within those specific cycles is credit worthy for the Biorhythms question?

The question was Outline/Evaluate exogenous and endogenous factors within Circadian Rhythms.

I realise the topic that probably should have been done is the one specific to exogenous and endogenous factors. But is it acceptable to interlink them within circadian biorhythms?

Original post by pentagonath
Anyone aware of whether or not talking specifically about Circadian Biorhythms and contextualising endogenous and exogenous within those specific cycles is credit worthy for the Biorhythms question?

The question was Outline/Evaluate exogenous and endogenous factors within Circadian Rhythms.

I realise the topic that probably should have been done is the one specific to exogenous and endogenous factors. But is it acceptable to interlink them within circadian biorhythms?

Hi not really sure that makes sense haha. Basically I talked about the role of EZs co ordinating eps to create a 24 hour circadian rhythm length. And this is shown through isolation studies etc. Additionally the role of the ep is shown in animal vive section studies. Such as removing and replacing the scn. Hope this helps
Reply 3471
Original post by Psya3
Ive written lynch mobs for the aggression question would that be okay?

no you'd get almost no marks. lynch mobs isn't a group display according to one of the mark schemes i read
Hey would I be able to hypothetically get full marks if for the Biorhythms question, I just wrote about the sleep-wake cycle as a circadian rhythm? I wrote about exogenous zeitgebers and the SCN (endogenous pacemaker) but I'm getting paranoid as it said wrote about their control of "circadian rhythm(s)" and I just wrote about the sleep-wake cycle as a circadian rhythm. In my psych class we only learnt about the sleep-wake cycle and no other circadian rhythms.

In short, is it okay that I just wrote about the sleep-wake cycle? Thanks
Anyone got an unofficial mark criteria? I thought the paper was really great for Eating Behaviour and Relationships, but the Perception question about facial recognition ****ed me over D:
Original post by yasx_
Even though the aggression question said explanations i.e. plural, it's still okay if you just outline and evaluate one right? A lot of people on here did 2 and I'm just wondering if you get marked down for only mentioning one.. (I don't think so though) I did sexual infidelity and jealousy

I wasn't sure but I saw "explanations(s) and thought maybe they wanted another explanation so I wrote a bit about war as a group display of aggression just to be safe. Basically it depends on whether AQA count the infidelity and sexual jealousy explanation as two explanations. If they don't then you'll probably lose marks as the question asked for more than one explanation.
Reply 3475
Original post by bullseye1
Hey would I be able to hypothetically get full marks if for the Biorhythms question, I just wrote about the sleep-wake cycle as a circadian rhythm? I wrote about exogenous zeitgebers and the SCN (endogenous pacemaker) but I'm getting paranoid as it said wrote about their control of "circadian rhythm(s)" and I just wrote about the sleep-wake cycle as a circadian rhythm. In my psych class we only learnt about the sleep-wake cycle and no other circadian rhythms.

In short, is it okay that I just wrote about the sleep-wake cycle? Thanks

Legit asked the same question earlier. I did the same thing even tho we got taught about temperature as another circadian rhythm. If we had to say 2, do you have any ideas on the max marks we could get?
For evolutionary I wrote about infidelity and jealousy and uroxiode/homicide is that enough???
Original post by azcy
Legit asked the same question earlier. I did the same thing even tho we got taught about temperature as another circadian rhythm. If we had to say 2, do you have any ideas on the max marks we could get?

I reckon we probably didn't have to write about more than one because for the other, ultradian and infradian, there's only one rhythm we learn, and also I'm pretty sure I've never seen a question like "discuss the role of exogenous zeitgebers and endogenous pacemakers on one circadian rhythm" - I reckon they always just put rhythms.
Hi everyone, I'm just curious for what I wrote for aggression(20) is correct or not? The question didn't specify so I wrote about xenophobia, warfare - group display however others in my class wrote about jealousy. My teacher said what I wrote was correct and we could of wrote about either as the question didn't specify. Thanks
Reply 3479
Original post by bullseye1
Yeah I did too, but with war and I only did a tiny bit about war and group display at the end! It's hard to say whether by explanation(s) they meant write about sexual jealousy and infidelity AND group display or just one, and each theory counted as 2 explanations.

I kind of think they'll count sexual jealousy and infidelity as 1 explanation so I think we were right to write a bit about group display too.

I talked more about group display, but it's still a relevant explanation because the whole concept of evolutionary theories is to be able to mate and pass on genes. I stated how in sport, by being aggressive such as in rugby, it increases the chances of winning. Therefore, by winning the group gains status and access to resources which make them attractive to females. This then increases the chances of them mating and passing in their genes.

For infidelity and jealousy I stated that men are more likely to use mate retention strategies, sexual coercion and aggression if they fear that their partner is being unfaithful. They do this because of the risk of cuckoldry and wasting resources on a child that it not theirs. By using aggression, it prevents them from being unfaithful and using sexual coercion enables them to pass on their own genes.

I hope that was right
I mean what other explanations could you have used?

Latest

Trending

Trending