The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science 08/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by danarmstrong
Nah age is a field, a record is a row of the database not a column. So you mention like one of the users? Maybe that idk but not age tho

Correct, the record should include all fields, e.g.

20_Elliot, Elliot, Jones, 01/02/2000
Reply 41
Original post by Huntlol
it was fairly easy, however for the database question asking for a query i said
SELECT film FROM table WHERE genre="comedy"
is that correct?

Doesn't need to be an SQL statement, so mark scheme will be:

Category = "Comedy" AND Year = 2015

2 marks for the comparisons and one mark for the Boolean
Reply 42
Compiler vs Interpreter mark scheme:
Well, June 2012 has for Interpreter:
Translates one line of HL code at a time…
and executes it
stops when it finds an error
can be resumed

I would assume Compiler to be:
Translates entire HL code into a single machine code binary file which can then be executed.
Exactly the same for me. All my weak spots and about one question on my strong points, so... pretty bad overall tbh
Original post by Adilpatel
I found it alright. The first question about the character set. Is it a set of instructions.

Character set = set of all characters that can be represented by a computer.
Original post by Adilpatel
I found it alright. The first question about the character set. Is it a set of instructions.

Character set = set of all characters that can be represented by a computer.
Reply 46
Correct, the record should include all fields, e.g.

20_Elliot, Elliot, Jones, 01/02/2000

I used Elliot Jones as the name too:biggrin:
Did anyone validate question 9, I didn't but I have a friend who did?
Found out I only need about 94 ums on that exam (~48/80) for an A* overall! So relieved!
Original post by jay1212
Does anyone know if answering the last question in the form of a flowchart would be correct?

You can answer in flowchart form, but you need to have used the different shapes correctly to get all 6 marks (otherwise you're capped at 4, possibly 2 if they can't tell the order).

If anyone reads this, you can also answer the algorithm question in "well-structured English" (wording used by the mark scheme), but you're capped at 4 marks immediately.

It is by far easier for me personally just to answer in pseudocode, because I can match specific parts of the question to my answer which is much harder for flowcharts.
Original post by zeldor711
Found out I only need about 94 ums on that exam (~48/80) for an A* overall! So relieved!

Full marks on the controlled assessments would give you 60% of your combined percentage.
Full marks on the exam would give you 40% of your combined percentage.
The UMS boundary for an A* is 90%

If you get full marks on your controlled assessments, you get 60% immediately.
You still need 75% on your exam (UMS) to get 30% of the total combined percentages, to get to 90% overall.

Sorry ._. if this has too many numbers.
Original post by surina16
What did everyone put for that 1 mark question where it was like "give one example of a record in the users table" or something? I made up the name of a person :rofl:

I used one of the UserIDs from the rating table and made up the remaining fields' data from the fields listed at the start of the question (FirstName, Surname, DateOfBirth).
Original post by surina16
What did everyone put for that 1 mark question where it was like "give one example of a record in the users table" or something? I made up the name of a person :rofl:

I used one of the UserIDs from the rating table and made up the remaining fields' data from the fields listed at the start of the question (FirstName, Surname, DateOfBirth).
Reply 52
Original post by zeldor711

How do you work that out ?
Anyone know the answer to the query criteria question...?
Original post by emperorCode
Full marks on the controlled assessments would give you 60% of your combined percentage.
Full marks on the exam would give you 40% of your combined percentage.
The UMS boundary for an A* is 90%

If you get full marks on your controlled assessments, you get 60% immediately.
You still need 75% on your exam (UMS) to get 30% of the total combined percentages, to get to 90% overall.

Sorry ._. if this has too many numbers.

Did you factor in the generally low computing grade boundaries using the OCR UMS converter? I used the 2015 ones to do it.

Whole thing is out of 300 UMS, with 270 for A*. 90 for each of the coursework pieces, leaving 120 for the exam.
If you got full marks on the coursework (I was two marks off) then you only need 90 UMS in the exam. Using the UMS converter, you get 90 UMS as being approximately 49/80 in 2014 and 46/80 in 2015 (61% and 58% respectively).

Therefore, with full marks in the coursework you only need about 60% in the exam for A*
The binary addition question really didn't go well for me... And the image and sound questions were horrible, I think I may have an A overall in my GCSE though... Thank God for coursework!
For the Unicode and ASCII question, do you think it would be enough just to say Unicode is universal/worldwide while ASCII is American (American Standard Code for Information Interchange)?
Original post by Argo00
Anyone know the answer to the query criteria question...?

I think:
(Year = 2015) AND (Category = "comedy")
Original post by DerRm
Here's a full mark answer to the algs question for you (edit: forum doesn't seem to show indentation - you know where it should go, but it won't lose you marks anyway):

INPUT choice
IF numbers[choice] != ""
numbers[choice] = "A"
ELSE
OUTPUT "Taken"
END IF
count=0
FOR x = 0 to 100
IF numbers [x] == ""
count = count +1
ENDIF
NEXT x
OUTPUT count

basically got those first five lines
Original post by Majourdawarf1
well there seem to be a mix of people who found it hard and people who found it easy, so i would say 85% A*, 75% A, 60% B... etc

Usually, the grade boundaries start at 90% for an A* (the major exception being June 2015, where it was 70% for an A*), so I would agree would you.
Original post by Huntlol
it was fairly easy, however for the database question asking for a query i said
SELECT film FROM table WHERE genre="comedy"
is that correct?

SELECT * (Year = "2015") AND (Category = "Comedy")

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending