The Student Room Group

Weight of GCSEs over A-levels

I'm looking to apply for LSE's Government and History course in the coming year, however after seeing some of the candidates rejected and the possible reasons why, I am now concerned about the weight given to GCSEs. Due to unforeseen circumstances which will be explained in personal statement, I achieved only 1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs. However, I am on course to achieve A* A* A at A-level, along with an A at AS-level, which appears to be above the typical offer. Will my weaker GCSEs make my chances of entry slim despite this?
Original post by scemery
I'm looking to apply for LSE's Government and History course in the coming year, however after seeing some of the candidates rejected and the possible reasons why, I am now concerned about the weight given to GCSEs. Due to unforeseen circumstances which will be explained in personal statement, I achieved only 1 A*, 8 As and 2 Bs. However, I am on course to achieve A* A* A at A-level, along with an A at AS-level, which appears to be above the typical offer. Will my weaker GCSEs make my chances of entry slim despite this?

LSE are known to examine personal statements and references very carefully, so if they accept that your GCSEs were affected negatively by factors beyond your control then your GCSEs shouldn't be too much of an issue if you are still on track for A*A*Aa - which is considerably above their typical entry requirements.

However, you would be well advised not to put these unforeseen circumstances in your PS, which should have a positive tone throughout. It would be far better to agree with your referee that they are included in your reference, explaining what impact they had on your GCSE results.

Additionally, even if your chances of being accepted by LSE are indeed slim they are better than zero - which is what they are if you do not apply.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending