The Student Room Group

CCEA GCSE exams 2016 *official only CCEA thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tearsforyears
im sure you did better than you think and grade boundaries are always low so youll be grand.

yeah to be fair she is actually good with languages shes one of them people whos obssessed and can speak like ten.

im feeling alright i got at least 5/6 wrong but i think the reading will be worse.

Well thanks for the optimism but just hoping I managed a b in that, didn't really work for it though so guess I deserve it. Just going to do loads of reading papers now lol.
Original post by Benji1999
Hey I did German today and I think I did reallllllyyy bad. I'm still aiming for an a. If I got an a in coursework what are the boundaries for me to still get an a overall

Listening 28/40 and reading 23/40
Original post by chemnerd4life
I almost ran out of time, I was finishing the last questions when the examiner was saying time up so I didn't get to check over it. How many questions did you not get to answer?

I remember leaving out a 4 marker and two 3 markers, I also left part of the 11 marker out but I wrote 2 facts and statistics and 3 points and a conclusion so idk how they'll penalise me for it
Original post by ckeys
OMG MAJOR NEAR FAIL! So im sitting in the exam thinking oh happy days i have 10 minutes to spare but then with like 5 minutes to go i realise there is 2 pages at the end with sustainable waste management & tourism on it !!! I basically had a mini heart attack but by the skin of my teeth i got it finished !! It happened to my friend as well but she had to leave it out! Most people in my class were pushed for time :frown: thanks ccea :-) :-) ...

I'm always pushed for time in geography papers, I think in needs to be 1hr 45 or make less questions so I have time to answer the questions to the best of my ability. I hate that swell I kept turning pages and there was just more and more questions I was freaking out i wasn't gonna get it done
Original post by Philipstothers
Listening 28/40 and reading 23/40

Those are based on last year and can vary 2/3 marks either way depending on difficulty of paper
I just did the geography exam. I thought it was okay, I didn't leave out any questions which is a positive. Some of the case study questions I thought were a bit vague. What did everyone write for the 7 marker on Aid in LEDCs? I wrote about the boats in India and a bit on aid in Ghana and Tanzania. I've got a lot of mixed answers from my year about what they included in that answer so i'm just curious to see what people put.
I honestly found that geography paper really easy! I'm glad that only the case studies I revised came up
that geography exam was... weird. i dont know how to describe it. part of me is thinking about how hard it is and the other part of me is also thinking about how it wasn't that bad. i remember thinking to myself 'dear god this is terrible' in the middle of it. i wasn't too pressed for time, although i do remember writing pretty furiously throughout.

Original post by OpticSesh
I just did the geography exam. I thought it was okay, I didn't leave out any questions which is a positive. Some of the case study questions I thought were a bit vague. What did everyone write for the 7 marker on Aid in LEDCs? I wrote about the boats in India and a bit on aid in Ghana and Tanzania. I've got a lot of mixed answers from my year about what they included in that answer so i'm just curious to see what people put.

there were a lot of questions that were vague, i agree. like the one on the graph and age dependency, well what age groups on the graph are the aged dependents? i didnt want to have to add up all of the percentages of both genders for age groups from 60-85, so i just did 85+. it would've been nice if they'd have told us. that aid question was weird as well. i had some stock standard benefits and drawbacks of aid to LEDCs, so I was able to remember two of those. we didn't have any place names though, so I just threw in a random LEDC.

at least that's geography over. both papers were pretty mediocre and honestly paper 1 still gives me PTSD. many found it easy but I think I kinda screwed up on a question or two :s my controlled assessment mark was really good though, so hopefully that helps out. little scared.

i still don't know how to feel. roll on biology and business studies (also along with the 5 other exams i have left after those) (im gonna commit)

**ALSO HELLO HISTORY PEOPLE:** im unsure if this is true but i heard from a friend in school today that the grade boundaries for history will be lower since we're the first students doing the new spec. im not sure if this is true (if anyone could confirm that'd be nice) but if is indeed true then that's great.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by GoNinty

there were a lot of questions that were vague, i agree. like the one on the graph and age dependency, well what age groups on the graph are the aged dependents? i didnt want to have to add up all of the percentages of both genders for age groups from 60-85, so i just did 85+. it would've been nice if they'd have told us. that aid question was weird as well. i had some stock standard benefits and drawbacks of aid to LEDCs, so I was able to remember two of those. we didn't have any place names though, so I just threw in a random LEDC.

i still don't know how to feel. roll on biology and business studies (im gonna commit)

Yes that's exactly the same reaction I had to it when I came out, that it was 'weird.' I kinda came out of unit 1 thinking, if I do decent in unit 2 I've got the A* in the bag, but now I just don't know how I did. Simple as that. Between vague questions, a roasting exam room and being pushed for time, I think it has certainly affected my mark. (I want to do geo for Alevel this is why it's annoyed me so much)
Original post by GoNinty
that geography exam was... weird. i dont know how to describe it. part of me is thinking about how hard it is and the other part of me is also thinking about how it wasn't that bad. i remember thinking to myself 'dear god this is terrible' in the middle of it. i wasn't too pressed for time, although i do remember writing pretty furiously throughout.

at least that's geography over. both papers were pretty mediocre and honestly paper 1 still gives me PTSD. many found it easy but I think I kinda screwed up on a question or two :s my controlled assessment mark was really good though, so hopefully that helps out. little scared.

i still don't know how to feel. roll on biology and business studies (also along with the 5 other exams i have left after those) (im gonna commit)

**ALSO HELLO HISTORY PEOPLE:** im unsure if this is true but i heard from a friend in school today that the grade boundaries for history will be lower since we're the first students doing the new spec. im not sure if this is true (if anyone could confirm that'd be nice) but if is indeed true then that's great.

I found a lot of the questions to be vague, infact for the question on what age group was the largest I wrote 5(something)-59 cos that was the age group with the longest bars but then I started to doubt myself and thought maybe it was 85+????? idk

As for history, last year was the first time the new spec was on a paper. Although I thought the history paper this year was pretty good
Yes that's exactly the same reaction I had to it when I came out, that it was 'weird.' I kinda came out of unit 1 thinking, if I do decent in unit 2 I've got the A* in the bag, but now I just don't know how I did. Simple as that. Between vague questions, a roasting exam room and being pushed for time, I think it has certainly affected my mark. (I want to do geo for Alevel this is why it's annoyed me so much)

yeah, it was just strange. looking on twitter a lot of people seem to be saying the paper was hard ("wtf ccea that paper was hell") and also that it was tight for time ("when you've only got 15 minutes left and you're still writing about wind farms") and stuff like that. many people in my year didn't revise much for it and their reactions ranged from "alright" to "i didnt get it finished it was horrible". so hopefully grade boundaries accommodate it.
Original post by MeganMcAlister
I found a lot of the questions to be vague, infact for the question on what age group was the largest I wrote 5(something)-59 cos that was the age group with the longest bars but then I started to doubt myself and thought maybe it was 85+????? idk

As for history, last year was the first time the new spec was on a paper. Although I thought the history paper this year was pretty good

im pretty sure i got that for the largest age group too. i just looked at the longest bars and was like ok sure. i thought about it for a little bit and did some addition and stuff but im pretty sure that was it.

and oh i see (everyone in our school does unit 1 and unit 2 this year) so they mightve thought it was the first time. history for me was alright. idk what units you did, but for me germany was great and PWN was alright, but the 17 mark question had me crying.

I'm pretty sure the aged dependant start at aged 65+. That's what I did anyway. I started by comparing the age of 65-69 year olds between the two places then did 85 year old to give it some spread. Again it was another vagueish question
Original post by GoNinty
im pretty sure i got that for the largest age group too. i just looked at the longest bars and was like ok sure. i thought about it for a little bit and did some addition and stuff but im pretty sure that was it.

and oh i see (everyone in our school does unit 1 and unit 2 this year) so they mightve thought it was the first time. history for me was alright. idk what units you did, but for me germany was great and PWN was alright, but the 17 mark question had me crying.

Ccea have a habit of being quite shady in exams so I thought for 1 or 2 marks that it was too easy :/

My school's the same, we do unit 1 and unit 2 for all subjects this year except the sciences. My school did America and Northern Ireland: Changing Relationships and I wasn't too keen on the 17 marker but I think I wrote enough for it! I heard that history grade boundaries are normally quite low anyway but I checked the uniform mark boundaries and 160/200 is an A
I'm pretty sure the aged dependant start at aged 65+. That's what I did anyway. I started by comparing the age of 65-69 year olds between the two places then did 85 year old to give it some spread. Again it was another vagueish question

We were told 60+ is the aged dependent group but yeah I just compared the ages above that
Ccea have a habit of being quite shady in exams so I thought for 1 or 2 marks that it was too easy :/

My school's the same, we do unit 1 and unit 2 for all subjects this year except the sciences. My school did America and Northern Ireland: Changing Relationships and I wasn't too keen on the 17 marker but I think I wrote enough for it! I heard that history grade boundaries are normally quite low anyway but I checked the uniform mark boundaries and 160/200 is an A

Pretty much all uniform mark boundaries are A* 90% A 80% etc.. It's the raw marks in the paper that change, so if the paper was really easy last year and somebody got the raw a mark boundary. Then if an exam was hard this year then u could get less raw marks and still get the same uniform mark as doing the paper last year. I'm sure you understand that but just wanted to clear it up :smile:
Reply 636
Original post by GoNinty

Regarding the history yes that is somewhat true! My teacher said the examiners will mark more leniently since we are the guinea pigs basically! Lol
(edited 7 years ago)
Physics Chemistry and Biology Unit 2 TA coming up. Anyone done anything for Physics on the 24th? Haven't even started.
How is everyone revising for Moving Image Arts? Our teacher hasn't covered any theory at all and tbh I'm kinda dreading it.
Original post by rl15
I thought it was quite hard😭 A big part of it was describe questions which I'm terrible at😂 I didn't get it finished either so I'm screwed.....

luckily i just about got finished but i thought it was hard enough, it was deadly length wise though :L

Quick Reply

Latest