The Student Room Group

AQA MM03 8th June 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by SophieBarlow87
This may be stupid but i thought there may have been a typo in the question, when calculating pq I did it in two steps, but tt was 7 marks so I tthought they may have wanted us to calculate the distance of that line. The more likely issue is that I did that one all wrong, how did you do it?

I couldn't do it, but I realised afterwards you could let x=6+PQcos45 and y=PQsin45, and you plug that into projectile equation.
Original post by C0balt
I couldn't do it, but I realised afterwards you could let x=6+PQcos45 and y=PQsin45, and you plug that into projectile equation.

I did it like that too. Was that one 7 marks too?
Reply 62
Original post by A Slice of Pi

Yup.

What did you get for the second projectile question where the ball bounced off and landed beyond A and you had to find e<k where k is a constant?
Reply 63
The grade boundaries need to be as low as 2008, then I may have scraped an A. (48 for an A in 2008)
Original post by C0balt
Yup.

What did you get for the second projectile question where the ball bounced off and landed beyond A and you had to find e<k where k is a constant?

I think I made a mistake on this. Mine involved tan... There was a similar one on June 2010 and its the very last question on that. I didn't finish Q6 (b) because I was pushed for time and moved on to the 8 marker
Reply 65
I think I made a mistake on this. Mine involved tan... There was a similar one on June 2010 and its the very last question on that. I didn't finish Q6 (b) because I was pushed for time and moved on to the 8 marker

The projectile e<k (6b?) made me use like 4 numbers with loads of decimal places and I got the answer to be e<0.2 something which I am convinced is wrong because that was so messy. I gave up on Q7. I also messed up restitution (5b?). I got something similar to whatever they were trying to make us show but totally different at the same time. I wish we has 3 hours for that exam lol
Original post by C0balt
The projectile e<k (6b?) made me use like 4 numbers with loads of decimal places and I got the answer to be e<0.2 something which I am convinced is wrong because that was so messy. I gave up on Q7. I also messed up restitution (5b?). I got something similar to whatever they were trying to make us show but totally different at the same time. I wish we has 3 hours for that exam lol

I think mine ended up as 0.2... something too. It makes me wonder if they've tested that paper to see if the allotted time is enough.
Reply 67
Worst exam ever

Did anyone get an answer for the bearing in the last part of the last question? I got 024, no idea if it's right
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 68
I think mine ended up as 0.2... something too. It makes me wonder if they've tested that paper to see if the allotted time is enough.

Even if I knew what I was doing for every question I'd have taken like 1.25 hrs doing the algebra you know 😂
Original post by C0balt

Yeah, that's what I did, then I got a quadratic for PQ. Not sure whether I got the right answer though!
Original post by C0balt
Even if I knew what I was doing for every question I'd have taken like 1.25 hrs doing the algebra you know 😂

I knew the methods for all the questions but still made silly mistakes. So much trig in there too...
Reply 71
Original post by CMP100Em
Worst exam ever

Did anyone get an answer for the bearing in the last part of the last question? I got 024, no idea if it's right

I didn't get 24, but all the clever (aka Oxbridge bound) people in my exam did, so it's probably right.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 72

Did you actually managed to get PQ then? I did it that way, but must have screwed up the algebra somewhere because my answers kept coming out wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by aoxa
Did you actually managed to get PQ then? I did it that way, but must have screwed up the algebra somewhere because my answers kept coming out wrong

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did. Whether it's right is another story. I know I made a silly mistake on Q7 (b) and couldn't finish 6 (b) in time
Reply 74
How many marks was finding the length PQ?
Reply 75
Original post by CMP100Em
How many marks was finding the length PQ?

Seven
Original post by C0balt

Thats what i did but it took me seconds and about threelines and i dont think it was worth 7 marks.
Has anyone got any predictions on grade boundaries?
Original post by C0balt

Oh is this how you do it? in the question it said it was travelling horizontally so i set the final speed (in y direction) to be 0 and found the vertical distance, then used trig to find PQ, has this method got any merit at all or have i just made it up? hahaha
Original post by aoxa
I didn't get 24, but all the clever (aka Oxbridge bound) people in my exam did, so it's probably right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm assuming they had no problems with the rest of the paper?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending