The Student Room Group

Geography A AQA GCSE 2016 exam

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by A_Tesco_Manager
Did you do the 3 topics you were supposed to do?

yes i done questions 2 5 and 6 but done half of 1 and scribbled it out
Original post by reu_taylor
What did people write about for the 8 marker on tourism about maintaining income and decreasing negative effects?

You had to use a cases tidy so either Kenya, amozan or jamaica
Original post by harun_farah
You had to use a cases tidy so either Kenya, amozan or jamaica

Yeah that's what I did, do you think ecotourism would be acceptable?

Yes that was the whole point of the question.

I did it about Kenya ecotourism and most people did too so I think it's right.
Reply 65
Original post by notarealname2000
I did it about Kenya ecotourism and most people did too so I think it's right.

prettttyyyy sure it was about mass tourism...

this is what the spec says for mass tourism
The meaning of mass tourism.A case study of an established tropical tourist area whichattracts large numbers of visitors.The positive and negative effects of mass tourism on theeconomy and environment.Strategies for maintaining the importance of tourism in thearea and reducing its negative effects.
Hi made a account just to ask this Basically I messed up I didn't use the "Correct" Case Studies.I Did -Population change -Development Gap -TourismFirst on the 8 marker Poulation change the question was write about the strategies for a country facing rapid growth.For some reason I wrote about the UK not China.I first said the UK population is rapidly increasing because of a Ageing population,Influx of EU migrants and the baby boom during the recession.Strategies I put were -Building Homes -Sex education -Free contraceptives Second mess up I did was the A Tropical tourist resort about how it can make money and stop negitive impacts.I wrote about Matchu Pitchu/Inca trai which is in the Andes (Peru,South America) rather than Antigua.Basically I said they make money from charging people to visit and they pay tour guides and Sherpas.And they prevent negotiated by limiting the amount of people,strict rules on littering,stop people climbing on the ruins and finally the close during febuary to allow vegetation and paths to recover.Will I still get marks like more than say 2 for each answer and will it be accepted as still valid.
Original post by dance25
prettttyyyy sure it was about mass tourism...

this is what the spec says for mass tourism
The meaning of mass tourism.A case study of an established tropical tourist area whichattracts large numbers of visitors.The positive and negative effects of mass tourism on theeconomy and environment.Strategies for maintaining the importance of tourism in thearea and reducing its negative effects.

Yeah because it said "established tourism area" I thought the Malewa ecolodge can't be established so I just did mass tourism
Reply 68
I think you would of got either mass tourism or ecotourism as a case study, I used how Kenya responds to mass tourism although I'm sure both would've been acceptable as long as you show how the areas maintain tourism and how they reduce the negative impacts. The only question I was unsure on was the housing estate comparison - Salford. What did you guys put?
Original post by A_Tesco_Manager
I believe it was 'Account for the strategies used by one country to handle rapid population growth'

I used kerala, it's a non-birth control policy. Would that be acceptable?
Original post by shrey_15
I used kerala, it's a non-birth control policy. Would that be acceptable?

i also used the kerala as my case study
Reply 71
Thanks... do you think just putting strategies to handle the growing population like building more houses and giving more of the growing population access to sewers and stuff would be ok? For the 8-mark on coping/handling population change that is. I didn't mention anything on trying to DECREASE the population. I not looking of 8 of course but do you think I would get zero? I wrote a lot and normally get 6-8 if that helps.
wait, would eco-tourism in Kenya (Eselenki) not be suitable for that 8 marker? Mentioned how it reduces impact to the environment but still allows tourists to visit so the income of the country is not affected (since Kenya gets 20% of its income from tourism). I don't know about any other tropical locations since that is the only one our school has taught us, apart from maybe Mombasa in Kenya.
Original post by j.bolding2
i also used the kerala as my case study

That would have been the better one to use I think; I used China, because in the question it said ONE country, so I thought Kerala would have been unacceptable, but my teacher said it was OK. For China I can't be sure about all my points.
It couldn't have been eco tourism as it asked for an established resort. Eco tourism resorts have only been around for a few years due to the increased awareness of global warming, climate change etc
Reply 75
Original post by JCwizard
It couldn't have been eco tourism as it asked for an established resort. Eco tourism resorts have only been around for a few years due to the increased awareness of global warming, climate change etc

Yeah that's what I thought too
So I did mass tourism

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dance25
Yeah that's what I thought too
So I did mass tourism

Posted from TSR Mobile

safe g
Original post by notarealname2000
wait, would eco-tourism in Kenya (Eselenki) not be suitable for that 8 marker? Mentioned how it reduces impact to the environment but still allows tourists to visit so the income of the country is not affected (since Kenya gets 20% of its income from tourism). I don't know about any other tropical locations since that is the only one our school has taught us, apart from maybe Mombasa in Kenya.

It depends because it was asking about a tropical case study so as long as you talked about tourism in a tropical area and its effects you will get at least a few marks. It all depends on whether Kenya is considered tropical and whether they will allow ecotourism, because ecotourism is set in place so there's less negative effects.
Original post by Declan2000
Hi made a account just to ask this Basically I messed up I didn't use the "Correct" Case Studies.I Did -Population change -Development Gap -TourismFirst on the 8 marker Poulation change the question was write about the strategies for a country facing rapid growth.For some reason I wrote about the UK not China.I first said the UK population is rapidly increasing because of a Ageing population,Influx of EU migrants and the baby boom during the recession.Strategies I put were -Building Homes -Sex education -Free contraceptives Second mess up I did was the A Tropical tourist resort about how it can make money and stop negitive impacts.I wrote about Matchu Pitchu/Inca trai which is in the Andes (Peru,South America) rather than Antigua.Basically I said they make money from charging people to visit and they pay tour guides and Sherpas.And they prevent negotiated by limiting the amount of people,strict rules on littering,stop people climbing on the ruins and finally the close during febuary to allow vegetation and paths to recover.Will I still get marks like more than say 2 for each answer and will it be accepted as still valid.

It depends if the mark scheme specifies a category of case studies you can chose from, but really the UK is an medc so it doesn't have any reason to have any birth control policies so I don't think it will be accepted as a case study.The tropical tourist one you probably will get a few marks on though
lol.PNG

Surely you can only do mass tourism due to what the spec says?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending