The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1620
Any case study notes for earthquake management?? What even is management? Does this mean responses?
Original post by Olijm
Any case study notes for earthquake management?? What even is management? Does this mean responses?

Prediction, Building Techniques, Planning and responses.
Original post by Luis Suarez
Of course they could, could ask anything on the syllabus. Not sure how much you could say about it though.

Yes thats what i mean, very limited stuff you can say
Reply 1623
I'm doing globalisation, world cities and tectonics. Any ideas on the world cities and globalisation 40 markers? I'm sacking tectonics off completely for an essay
Original post by Loyle
I'm doing globalisation, world cities and tectonics. Any ideas on the world cities and globalisation 40 markers? I'm sacking tectonics off completely for an essay

You're not doing tectonics? Are you crazy? You can only get 65 marks, assuming you get full marks which is unlikely unless you are a genius?
So is there any point in revising Volcanic activity or nah? I'm planning to do that as a 25 marker.

Also can people confirm that World Cities 25 marker could be any of: role of world cities, urbanisation, shanty towns, out of town retailing, sustainable communities, planning and management (because that seems like basically everything lol)?

Finally is the D&G 40 marker just between Trade vs Aid, Sustainability and role of TNCs/NICS?
Original post by Olijm

short term prediction unreliable e.g. - animal behaivor,

easier to predict in next 6 months or so, e.g. - monitoring groundwater + pressure levels, dilatency theory (monitoring how the magnetic and electrical resistance properties of rock change when it becomes stressed), monitoring release of radon gas, monitoring magnetic field lines.

prevention - attempts mostly unsuccessful - san andreas faultline, attempt to lubricateplate boundary with water + oil but difficult as boundary is 1200km long. Also concerns that success of one area could lead to increased pressure in other areas.

protection - earthquake kits, education (securing furniture and appliances), what to do in earthquake, in tokyo: buildings cabled together and built with foundations deep into bed rock or on sliding plates, some buildings have counter balance to prevent swaying.
in kobe:10 days emergency water supply, emergency generators in every district, 35km of seafront defences for tsunamis, strengthening of key roads and bridges, development of computer programs to automate response to worst affected areas.

that is me self testing just now, thats all i can remember but thats most of it
Original post by callumthompson
according to someone posting on facebook, for AS resits, apparently aqa take your most recent grade. So i got a C at AS and decided to resit geog 1, and i think i did worse, so i might come out with a lower grade. Can anyone confirm this?

they should just take your best result so resitting is a win win. you get a second chance but your grade won't go down.
Original post by SJJ97
I'm in the same position as you

Wishing you luck!
Original post by cmcl
anyone else necking back an energy drink planning on an all nighter tonight? i know its probably not a good idea but i had psychology unit 3 today which is probably just as content heavy so i'm having to dedicate all of tonight and tomorrow morning to geography :frown:

also any predictions for the short answer tectonics/development and the 40 marker for world cities would be amazing!!

how do you find this useful? surely you are knackered for the exam ?
Original post by cmcl
shanty towns are just slums/favelas arent they? and waste and transport comes into sustainability yeah

Yeahyeah but I haven't done them in any detail this year to assume they would be a big Q :')
Original post by Sacred Ground
Sustainable communities is BEDZED

With regards to shanty towns, I think they'll ask what they are, where they are, how they occur (rapid urban sprawl) and how they're being managed e.g. In rochina in Rio they're using self help schemes and in dharavi the area for the promotion of resource centres is helping to develop the area I.e. 2000 new flats with 14 foot ceilings with large windows, provide circulation and reduce need for electricity

In dharavi, the government is also helping with plans to demolish the shanty town and develop 7 story tenable flats

If you require help, PM me!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh I'm with you!! What's BEDZED?? And okay, I can manage that with the shanty towns! I must have missed a lesson or something because although I remember them all from GCSE and the odd bit of reference to them this year, I cannot remember a legit focus on them. Classic haha
I know this probably will have been asked already but cant find any posts.

What are people's predictions for Weather and Climate structured questions?
How much focus should I put on volcanic case studies. I'm not doing the essay on tectonics just the 25 marker?
Original post by maximiles97
can someone tell me what the best way to structure a multiculturalism 40 essay is? thanks

intro - define multiculturalism and briefly explain case studies abckground as well as areas to cover:impacts on: housing, education, healthcare, religion, employment and language, economic impacts, view of the public, security, finally how it can cause violent conflicts (like brixton riots)
maybe briefly say why we have multicultural societies

main body - write about each one above, with a paragraph for each and sum up each paragraph with a 1 sentance conclusion. do it in the order above.

conclusion - draw mini conclusions together and come to final decision

thats my plan...
Reply 1635
Original post by maximo17000
short term prediction unreliable e.g. - animal behaivor,

easier to predict in next 6 months or so, e.g. - monitoring groundwater + pressure levels, dilatency theory (monitoring how the magnetic and electrical resistance properties of rock change when it becomes stressed), monitoring release of radon gas, monitoring magnetic field lines.

prevention - attempts mostly unsuccessful - san andreas faultline, attempt to lubricateplate boundary with water + oil but difficult as boundary is 1200km long. Also concerns that success of one area could lead to increased pressure in other areas.

protection - earthquake kits, education (securing furniture and appliances), what to do in earthquake, in tokyo: buildings cabled together and built with foundations deep into bed rock or on sliding plates, some buildings have counter balance to prevent swaying.
in kobe:10 days emergency water supply, emergency generators in every district, 35km of seafront defences for tsunamis, strengthening of key roads and bridges, development of computer programs to automate response to worst affected areas.

that is me self testing just now, thats all i can remember but thats most of it

thank you that makes sense! But if the question was "using 2 case studies from contrasting areas.." Wouldn't you need 2 case studies instead of examples?
Original post by Olijm
thank you that makes sense! But if the question was "using 2 case studies from contrasting areas.." Wouldn't you need 2 case studies instead of examples?

then u say hati did jack **** apart from rescue people, rebuild (mostly) and wait for it to happen again bc they too poor
Reply 1637
Original post by TheTakers
Wishing you luck!

You too!!
I'm new to TsR but anyone got predictions for 40m on World Cities an Development and Globalisation??
Damn I don't get nervous for exams but with geography I always do, even though I'm predicted an A*, I can easily misread a question and get a U or something. Ffs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending