The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Gender schema theory. **** aqa
Original post by Repzehh
The generic grade boundaries are like 80% for an A, 70% for a B and 60% for a C. Grade boundaries have been low the past few years due to average marks pulling them down. The past few years have had really low grade boundaries.

70% is near enough an A* in psychology m8 have you lost it? Get 80% and AQA arrive at your school in a chariot and sign you up to write their questions
Original post by IHatePsychology
I did too lol. Just remember to focus on the next one. Realistically you probably will get a c or b at max. It'd hard to score so much. Man that question literally knocked me back lol well next essays I'm not gonna be using predictions lol

But I don't think I did that badly to get a C. I think I might have lost maybe 3-4 marks per essay. So I'm on the A/B boundary.
So it all depends on PSYA4.
And I did really well last year so hopefully it'll be okay!
Pretty rubbish exam really, didn't like the questions- it was difficult to fit in both maintenance and both formation theories into the relationships question and trying to get war/sports (which I like a lot but messed up on this question) and infidelity/jealousy (which I seriously can't stand) into the aggression question. I didn't expect that kind of wide reaching question format, especially not for 2 questions anyway. ended up forgetting all the researcher's names i'd so carefully planned and remembered and just wrote 'a study found' for most things which was disappointing. it really didn't show my actual ability, and I still feel like there was nothing better I could've done revision wise. I hope the second one will be better.
Original post by sophiehaddad
I did genetics and evolution! If I remember rightly, the question said "one or more biological explanations" with no specific focus on evolutionary/genetics/neuroanatomical. So I think it should be fine!?

Yep, you could write about neural or evolutionary. I did neural, but either is fine.
Reply 3545
Original post by cmr98
I did eating behaviour, my friend said she did neural mechanisms but ran out of time to make her second point. I did evolutionary 'adapted to flee due to famine' hypothesis, and then I only had 10 mins left so panicked a bit and scrawled some stuff and evaluation of the genetic theory, but i havent come across many people who said genetics so bit worried I didn't get it right :s-smilie:

I talked about neural in detail like high levels of serotonin and over activity of dopamine and also neurodevelopment problems. I added studies which all were to show that it supports such as the Bailer et al study study on recovering AN patients and healthy controls. I also added an IDA point stating that it's reductionist as it states that anorexia is due to levels of neurotransmitter and therefore ignores other factors such as maladaptive thoughts that can also be a cause. However, I also stated that because it's reductionist it's also positive as by identifying, for example, high serotonin is a cause, it can lead to drug therapy to neutralise these neurotransmitters. I just stuck the evolutionary explanation of the reproduction suppression hypothesis at the end in the last 10 minutes too. I didn't talk about studies for evolutionary as there were none and just stated how 25% of males also suffer from anorexia but this explanation cannot explain this so it cannot be generalised to men.
Hi
Does anybody know whether we were supposed to evaluate the social psychollgical explanations in aggression???

And how did people do with the sleep question.
Reply 3547
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Can someone explain to me how many marks i need for an a*? I got 80 and 76 last year which equates to a high B, I feel ive done really good on this paper so was wondering if its possible to get an A*, how much would i need on this paper and the previous one?

So out all 4 exams whats the total for an A*

In case you want to verify yourself the requirements for an A*:

Spoiler

To get an A* you need to have A grade in terms of UMS overall and 90% in both A2 papers (in terms of UMS). AQA Psych A is a 4 unit course so max UMS in 2 years is 400. To get an A you need 320/400.

Last year you got 80 UMS for PSYA1 (I presume) which is an A exactly. (58/72 marks)

76 UMS for PSYA2 (I presume) which is either 49/50 marks (I don't know how you got that since if you use the UMS converter on AQAs site, 49 is 75 and 50 is 77 but anyway. So that's not an A.

In total you got last year: 156

The difference to get an A overall is 320 - 156 = 164 UMS to get at A2 for an A overall.

But that doesn't matter for an A* since you need 90% in both A2 papers. That means 90 UMS or more at least in both. Hope that helps.

If anyone notices anything worked out wrong please correct me!
Original post by BasingstokeBoy
Pretty rubbish exam really, didn't like the questions- it was difficult to fit in both maintenance and both formation theories into the relationships question and trying to get war/sports (which I like a lot but messed up on this question) and infidelity/jealousy (which I seriously can't stand) into the aggression question. I didn't expect that kind of wide reaching question format, especially not for 2 questions anyway. ended up forgetting all the researcher's names i'd so carefully planned and remembered and just wrote 'a study found' for most things which was disappointing. it really didn't show my actual ability, and I still feel like there was nothing better I could've done revision wise. I hope the second one will be better.

Why did you try and fit both maintenance and formation? That just seems like overkill to me

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the relationships question did we have to speak about both formation and maintenance ?

GUYS my handwriting was so bad and i am worried the examiners wont be able to read it probably and give up :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TMC113
You need an A overall (at least 320UMS) to get an A*, your A2 UMS must be at least 180.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So because i got i think 153-156 ums in psych last year and lets say i get 100 ums in one exam and 90 in the other equalling to around 340.

Is this an A or A*?
Well, I was happy with that exam! I do Bio Rhythms, aggression and gender by the way. Let's just be hopeful that PSYA4 will be nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3552
Original post by ellie.siv
Hi
Does anybody know whether we were supposed to evaluate the social psychollgical explanations in aggression???

And how did people do with the sleep question.

Aggression: Just outline social.
Don't do sleep, sorry!
Original post by Fishhy34
For the relationships question did we have to speak about both formation and maintenance ?

GUYS my handwriting was so bad and i am worried the examiners wont be able to read it probably and give up :frown:

Nope, it was and/or, so you could just write about one of them.
Reply 3554
Original post by Repzehh
I prepared the question previously in class with my teacher and I got an A on a mock with just talking about the SWC, obviously mentioning the impact that both pacemakers and zeitgebers have on the SWC. Thus you should be able to gain full marks.

Ahh thats great, thanks :smile:
Original post by yasx_
Oh no :frown: I actually thought I did pretty decent on that essay but now knowing that they may have wanted more than on explanation has put me off

Same! I thought that if they wanted multiple theories they would have said "one or more" so don't worry too much
Original post by Ayhay
In case you want to verify yourself the requirements for an A*:

Spoiler

To get an A* you need to have A grade in terms of UMS overall and 90% in both A2 papers (in terms of UMS). AQA Psych A is a 4 unit course so max UMS in 2 years is 400. To get an A you need 320/400.

Last year you got 80 UMS for PSYA1 (I presume) which is an A exactly. (58/72 marks)

76 UMS for PSYA2 (I presume) which is either 49/50 marks (I don't know how you got that since if you use the UMS converter on AQAs site, 49 is 75 and 50 is 77 but anyway. So that's not an A.

In total you got last year: 156

The difference to get an A overall is 320 - 156 = 164 UMS to get at A2 for an A overall.

But that doesn't matter for an A* since you need 90% in both A2 papers. That means 90 UMS or more at least in both. Hope that helps.

If anyone notices anything worked out wrong please correct me!

I got 153 ums last year and lets say i get 100 ums on this paper and 90 ums in the next one does that mean i can still get an A*?
Could group display be used for evolutionary explanations for human aggression?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by adtr0706
Yep, you could write about neural or evolutionary. I did neural, but either is fine.

I did about twin studies and family studies - is that okay?
Anyone?!?!?!!

For my relationship question I wrote about both formation and maintence. For my IDA for formation I did cultural and gender bias from Lott and then for my IDA in maintence I did cultural and student bias by mogahddam. Is that alright because I used two different psychologists?

Posted from TSR Mobile