The Student Room Group

2016 Unofficial M1 Mark Scheme? 2016

Scroll to see replies

would I lose a mark for putting impulse as 3ns-1 rather than 3ns? :frown:

also, would 74 be 100ums?
I thought I did quite bad in that exam, it was quite weird, but I actually did well for once in Mechanics :smile:
Feeling quite happy, I think I got 65/75

the only 2 questions that let me down are 7)a) I did it but got the wrong answer and question 3. In total lost 8 marks on these 2 combined and lost another 2 marks down to my incompetence.

in total (from c1, c2,s1 and m1) I believe I have 350 ums/ 600

I feel happy
For the resultant force on the pulley, in the question where it said show the direction that the resultant force makes, I drew a diagram with 45 degrees marked on it but

Does it matter in which direction you drew the arrow going

e.g if you draw it going towards the pulley or if you draw it going away from the pulely
Original post by KloppOClock
just need to do 2 and 8, but im missing parts of the question

For the scale pan question:
A scale pan of mass 0.5 kg is attached to a string. In the scale pan there is a brick of mass 1.5 kg. The scale pan moves upwards with constant acceleration of 0.5 ms^-2. Find:
a) The tension in the string.
b) The magnitude of the force exerted on the scale by the brick

Solution (or at least, that's what I did):
a) (Upwards):
T - 0.5g - 1.5g = (0.5+1.5)*a, where a = 0.5
T - 2g = 2*0.5
T = 20.6N

b) Force exerted by brick on scale = force exerted by scale on brick (Action-Reaction principle)

For brick only:
Let R be the reaction (i.e., the force exerted by the scale on the brick)
R - 1.5g = 1.5*a
R = 1.5*0.5+ 1.5g
R = 15.45
Reply 205
For question 5 (where you had to calculate μ ), how many marks out of 10 do you think it's possible to get if you resolve the 40N force wrongly (I put sin and cos the wrong way round) but all of the method after that is correct?
Original post by iiiii
For question 5 (where you had to calculate μ ), how many marks out of 10 do you think it's possible to get if you resolve the 40N force wrongly (I put sin and cos the wrong way round) but all of the method after that is correct?

youd pick up most of your method marks, but because you made an error at the start you could lose quite a few marks depending on how many a1 or dm1 marks there are.
Solution to 8 a
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 208
Original post by the___jackal

also, would 74 be 100ums?

not to speculate too much but it could well be, for the last few years the mark out of 75 needed for 100ums has been between 68 and 71 and this paper didn't seem significantly easier than other recent ones to me
Reply 209
youd pick up most of your method marks, but because you made an error at the start you could lose quite a few marks depending on how many a1 or dm1 marks there are.

ok great thanks, I'lll just have to wait and see
ok ive done this twice now (once in the exam, once again now) and ive got the same answer which is different to what I have been seeing.

V= U + AT
V = ? U = (3i-22j) A=(3i+9j) T=3
|U| = root(3^2 + (-22)^2) = root(493)
|A| = root(3^2 + 9^2) = root(90)

V = root(493) + 3*root(90)

V= 50.66410225
V = 50.7

anyone?

You can't do that, the vectors have direction, you can't just do the speed .
Original post by the___jackal
Solution to 8 a

fantastic, ill add that last one in
I'm trying to do model answers for the questions but I can't find the details of the questions. If you can remember what the question details were then sure.

q2
there was a scale pan accelration upwards at 0.5ms^2 with mass 0.5kg and it was holding a crate of mass 1.5kg and it was being pulled up by a light inextensible string

find the tension of the string
find the force exerted on the scale pan by the crate
Btw the scale pan question couldnt have been 15.5. Because that is the force the SCALE PAN exterts on the BRICK. The question told us to work out the force the BRICK exerts on the SCALE PAN which should be 14.7 right?
Estimate for How many marks for taking moments about A&B instead of S&T, then getting the wrong numbers, method marks would be available?
Original post by kprime2
I'll be posting model answers tomorrow (edexcel)

Estimates for grade boundries/UMS?
Reply 216
For Question 4.a I got everything correct apart from the fact that I had the T value as more than 25 seconds. How many marks would I lose??
Original post by kprime2
I'll be posting model answers tomorrow (edexcel)

Okay, I've done all the model answers and i've written out every question. its officially complete!

i have no life :biggrin:
ALL MODEL ANSWERS ARE NOW DONE!

IMPORTANT NOTE: After speaking with some maths teachers, they have said that they believe the grade boundaries will be relatively low due to the simultaneous vector question and question three! :banana2:

*So people stop asking, when using 'g' 2 or 3 significant figures is fine.

Question 1: (10 marks)

Spoiler

Question 2: (6 marks)

Spoiler

Question 3: (7 marks)

Spoiler

Question 4: (12 marks)

Spoiler

Question 5: (10 marks)

Spoiler

Question 6: (7 marks)

Spoiler

Question 7: (11 marks)

Spoiler

Question 8: (12 marks)

Spoiler

Model Answers: (click spoiler to show images)

Spoiler

Question Bank: (simplified)

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending