The Student Room Group

Prom?!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tangareen
Aw nooo, your not a cheapskate, it's probably just because it's not an event to spend so much on

Yeah.. i do want it to be special but i don't see the point of going over the top
Original post by bytheseasons
this actually gave me a whole new perspective on things...i am once again extremely conflicted :T

At the end of the day, do what is best for you. I suppose no one truly knows what prom is like unless they go, but don't beat yourself up with whatever decision you make. :smile:
See i understand where your coming from when you say the people are stuck up and anti social etc.
I think have your own prom with people you get along with is a good idea. And it's my proper last day on Friday next week too!!! :smile:

Yeah, you just want to forgot about them after exams! And nice, you finish on Friday! Any chance Physics is your last exam on that day?
My friends think that I'll regret going to and that it's worth going because it's the last time we'll be with everyone, but i don't really care about seeing everyone.

Me neither! Anyone who I want to see I'll see when I leave school, and we had the leavers assembly to say goodbye anyway!
I don't want to go to mine >.> I feel pressurized to dress up and spend loads of money and people are constantly talking about who is doing their hair and makeup and where they are getting a dress from .____. Ughh I really don't see the appeal tbh as it's more pressure than stress yet at the same time I kind of want to go :tongue: This is confusing right. Plus I dont have many friends so I'll probably be sat alone looking dumb :frown: Also I go to an all girls school so its not really prom more like sitting around taking pictures with friends if you have any.

This is like my prom rant space :smile:
Reply 65
In all honesty, prom is an excuse to dress up with your friends and have a good time. You don't get many chances to treat yourself to a nice dress, get your makeup done, hire a fancy car etc. So if you're into that kind of stuff then go - besides, at my prom I found even people I'd never spoken to or really been friends with were chatting with me and everyone was just having a good time. I think you'll regret it if you don't go. And you don't have to stay for the whole thing!:smile: Remember - people go to prom to have a good time. If they go there to judge then they're just sad. It's not a disaster like in all the trashy American films, from my experience it's a genuinely nice night, and everyone I've spoken to who didn't come to my prom said they really regretted it.
Also it doesn't have to cost loads. One girl at my prom got her dress from a charity shop and it was sooo nice. Loads of the girls did their own makeup, and I went to the prom in my friends camper van with some balloons tied to the back and didn't have to pay for it. So you can do prom on the cheap and still make it special!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by sapphire79
I don't want to go to mine >.> I feel pressurized to dress up and spend loads of money and people are constantly talking about who is doing their hair and makeup and where they are getting a dress from .____. Ughh I really don't see the appeal tbh as it's more pressure than stress yet at the same time I kind of want to go :tongue: This is confusing right. Plus I dont have many friends so I'll probably be sat alone looking dumb :frown: Also I go to an all girls school so its not really prom more like sitting around taking pictures with friends if you have any.

This is like my prom rant space :smile:

No it's not confusing I totally understand what you mean (as you already may know LOL) I'm glad I'm not the only one in two minds. It's also the fact that people are spending like 100s on outfits some girls have gone extreme they've spent £2500 of a dress alone. how much is the car going to be? And what about the extra stuff?
People go on like its their wedding day (just a lot less money compared to an actual event like that)
Reply 67
Original post by emilyc98
In all honesty, prom is an excuse to dress up with your friends and have a good time. You don't get many chances to treat yourself to a nice dress, get your makeup done, hire a fancy car etc. So if you're into that kind of stuff then go - besides, at my prom I found even people I'd never spoken to or really been friends with were chatting with me and everyone was just having a good time. I think you'll regret it if you don't go. And you don't have to stay for the whole thing!:smile: Remember - people go to prom to have a good time. If they go there to judge then they're just sad. It's not a disaster like in all the trashy American films, from my experience it's a genuinely nice night, and everyone I've spoken to who didn't come to my prom said they really regretted it.
Also it doesn't have to cost loads. One girl at my prom got her dress from a charity shop and it was sooo nice. Loads of the girls did their own makeup, and I went to the prom in my friends camper van with some balloons tied to the back and didn't have to pay for it. So you can do prom on the cheap and still make it special!

That is so true! And your ideas were so original, it's about enjoying yourself really and not letting others get to you?! Even though I'm not one to let people get to me, its just in general. I feel like I'll regret it too if I don't go, but then I'm still in two minds.
Thanks for your input it was really helpful and kind of you, everything you said was true.
And it's nice to know you had a good time :tongue:
It is fun to make an effort to an event will all the people you go to school especially if you don't generally make an effort or don't care how you look for school. It's good that your going and hope you enjoy yourself.
Also you don't always need a date, you've got your friends

Oh yes definitely! I hope that I do have a good time :smile:
Personally im not going although i kind of wish i was but it was organised ages ago and i decided to not go then because i dislike a lot of people in my year and i thought it would be pretty boring bc obviously there would be no drinking and my school is an all girls catholic school so we arnt allowed to bring anyone with us . I kind of regret it now however there are going to be after prom parties with people i do like straight after so that will be good . If you do decide not to go just make sure you do something with friends on the night
Trust me go prom some of the food is good there but drinks are a bit overpriced.
Despite the food prom is an absolute blast, one of the most amazing days I've had in ages all the year come together and you just go wild. No one cares who you are and no one discriminates on what you wear who you go with or what you do. They just came to enjoy their time and that's how it was. I got along with a guy I had a fight with a couple of weeks before prom.
And it's the last time your gonna see everyone so it was emotional for some people.
Reply 71
Original post by Georgiawilson999
Personally im not going although i kind of wish i was but it was organised ages ago and i decided to not go then because i dislike a lot of people in my year and i thought it would be pretty boring bc obviously there would be no drinking and my school is an all girls catholic school so we arnt allowed to bring anyone with us . I kind of regret it now however there are going to be after prom parties with people i do like straight after so that will be good . If you do decide not to go just make sure you do something with friends on the night

You're having a prom with no guys at all? How does that even work..
Original post by Rykiel
You're having a prom with no guys at all? How does that even work..

It doesnt , thats why im not going 😂
Our tickets are £36

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not going because I have no friends and social anxiety, so if I was to go then all I would be doing is sitting by myself in the corner, crying.

It really f*cking sucks to have no friends... ;_;
Reply 75
I am not going to prom for several reasons:

I am not really into that kind of thing

I don't want to buy a dress (stressful)

I am going away the following morning

I can do something with a few of my friends who also aren't going

No it's not confusing I totally understand what you mean (as you already may know LOL) I'm glad I'm not the only one in two minds. It's also the fact that people are spending like 100s on outfits some girls have gone extreme they've spent £2500 of a dress alone. how much is the car going to be? And what about the extra stuff?
People go on like its their wedding day (just a lot less money compared to an actual event like that)

Whaaaaat did someone really spend 2500 on a dress? :angry: I know its not my problem but thats actually so daft it makes me mad :tongue:
Original post by Georgiawilson999
It doesnt , thats why im not going 😂

I go to an all girls school too so our prom is just sitting around I guess :tongue:
Original post by weeaboojess
I'm not going because I have no friends and social anxiety, so if I was to go then all I would be doing is sitting by myself in the corner, crying.

It really f*cking sucks to have no friends... ;_;

I feel the same way :frown::heart:
My prom's on a Wednesday and I have school the next day :smile: (still getting drunk though lol)

Quick Reply

Latest