The Student Room Group

WJEC C3/C4 8th/17th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Hydeman
I hope the boundaries are lower than last year. :sigh:

I'm pretty sure they will be, no one in my year I spoke to found it easy, and a couple of people doing further maths (including my friend who's applying to Cambridge) said it was a lot harder than they were expecting. I'm guessing at least a shift of 3-4 marks down for each UMS (though that figure is entirely subjective)
Original post by Hydeman
@IrrationalRoot, some questions about these:

gives

gives

For the first one, would I still get the marks if I only partially simplified it? I initially got a 1/3 in the numerator and 1+(1/9)x2 in the denominator and I multiplied top and bottom by 3 instead of 9. Its the equivalent, but this would mean I left a 1/3 in the denominator...
The second one - was this actually on the paper? I've no recollection of it. :s-smilie: The product rule question was a different one, I feel...

Edit: Are you sure the second one isn't an integration question? I seem to remember integrating something like that...

I did what you did as well bro for the tan question. "Simplest form" should just mean cancelling down, I don't see what's wrong with a fraction in the denominator
Original post by IrrationalRoot
Dw you'll be fine, forget about C3 and pick up a C4 paper :smile:. What's your offer btw? Need an A* in Maths?

Thanks, but I'm probably going to need a while to get over the number of silly errors I've made on this paper. :s-smilie:
I don't have an offer - I'm taking a gap year. But I do badly want an A* in maths. :colondollar:

You might be right, I was struggling a bit to remember that question. Only thing is I swear that in the derivative there was some nice cancellation and I got 18x on the outside, and the only polynomial I could get to fit this (I worked backwards to get the Q from my working) was 3x-2.

I could be wrong. Do you know whether/if a copy of the paper will become available soon?
Original post by DragonRider17
I'm pretty sure they will be, no one in my year I spoke to found it easy, and a couple of people doing further maths (including my friend who's applying to Cambridge) said it was a lot harder than they were expecting. I'm guessing at least a shift of 3-4 marks down for each UMS (though that figure is entirely subjective)

Yea, i agree dw, I'm pretty sure 100UMS will be at least 66/67+ as the paper was a different style and had a lot of little things people could easily lose marks on.
Original post by Hydeman
Thanks, but I'm probably going to need a while to get over the number of silly errors I've made on this paper. :s-smilie:
I don't have an offer - I'm taking a gap year. But I do badly want an A* in maths. :colondollar:

I could be wrong. Do you know whether/if a copy of the paper will become available soon?

No idea about when or if a copy of the paper will be available soon sorry.
Sometimes a random person in the thread just says "here's the paper" with a link and everyone's happy lol.
First part of Q2 is rearranging to get an equation in cosecθ\cosec\theta using cot2θ+1=csc2θ\cot^2\theta+1= \csc^2 \theta, which is a standard question.
Second part you just convert cscθ\csc\theta and secθ\sec\theta to sines and cosines, multiply out the fractions and then you get
tanθ=23\tan\theta=-\frac{2}{3}.

There aren't any 'other' answers for d2ydx2\dfrac{d^2y}{dx^2} in terms of yy although I'm not sure exactly what you mean by that.
Each line in my ms represents a different part, so the middle line for Q4 tells you what yy is in terms of tt.

For 2 part one isn't it 210 and 330 instead of 30 and 150
Original post by Sznsnsn
For 2 part one isn't it 210 and 330 instead of 30 and 150

Well I got sinT=1/2. I'm assuming you got sinT=-1/2 then.
Well I got sinT=1/2. I'm assuming you got sinT=-1/2 then.

Yeah I had 2csc^2x + 3 csc x -14=0 I think (2cscx +7)(cscx -2). I just realised now that it should be 1/2 damn, how many marks would that lose?
Original post by Sznsnsn
Yeah I had 2csc^2x + 3 csc x -14=0 I think (2cscx +7)(cscx -2). I just realised now that it should be 1/2 damn, how many marks would that lose?

Let's see... out of 6 maybe 3? But I don't know how follow through marks work, so maybe only 2.
img102.jpgimg100.jpgimg101.jpg
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Hydeman

just uploaded a copy
Original post by caitanna98
img102.jpgimg100.jpgimg101.jpg

You were right about the product rule question, @IrrationalRoot. :smile:
Any news on a unofficial mark scheme?
Original post by JessyMarie
Any news on a unofficial mark scheme?

See post #89 on page 5 of the thread. :smile:
Original post by DragonRider17

It's rare for something like that to happen though. Last year's killer C4 paper was the first paper on this spec for which the A boundary went a low as 50/75.
Anyway, I hope you're right. :crossedf:
How did everyone find it? easier or harder than last year's c3 paper?
Unofficial mark scheme?:frown:
Original post by Firestartc
How did everyone find it? easier or harder than last year's c3 paper?

trickier not harder, like there were more opportunities to lose easy marks
overall harder if i had to say, i hated it :frown: what do you think you got out of 75?:h:
Original post by caitanna98
trickier not harder, like there were more opportunities to lose easy marks
overall harder if i had to say, i hated it :frown: what do you think you got out of 75?:h:

Ikr trickier, i could answer all the questions but i think i lost 4 marks in total so 71/75.
One for not writing 3sec^3 (theta) or wtv, as i wrote the sec^2(theta) term over cos(theta). Another for putting 1/y^3 not with the -1. Another for not simplifying 1/(3+(x/3)) to remove the fraction in the denominator and another for not writing +c in the integrals (tbh i can't remember if i wrote them so i'll assume i didn't). Im so done with my life tbh, i can't stop making silly errors in maths.. :frown:
I created a poll to see what the grade boundaries will be like compared to last year's, plz help me by filling it out, ty:
http://www.strawpoll.me/10431970
(edited 7 years ago)
Idea on grade boundaries?

Quick Reply

Latest