The Student Room Group

AQA MM03 8th June 2016 Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Swindelz
Don't worry, you're not illiterate! It didn't say anything about it travelling horizontally as far as I can remember.

Since the angle was 45*, each shorter side would be the same length (I called it 'l':wink:, and you had to set x = 6 + l and y = l and solve it. Then you can work out what the length PQ is!

Just realised you mentioned this in an earlier comment!

Oh well, looks like i just made it up then, great thats another 7 marks or whatever it was lost :'(

When will be able to get a look at the paper does anybody know?
Reply 101
Original post by PeterDylan
Oh well, looks like i just made it up then, great thats another 7 marks or whatever it was lost :'(

When will be able to get a look at the paper does anybody know?

Your teacher can get hold of the spare so you could ask him. I'm planning to give another go after I finish my last exam and beat myself up for being an idiot and not being able to work it out during the exam.
Original post by A Slice of Pi
Nope it was 318 for the bearing and something else for the speed.

Yeh got it now, mixed uo one of cos for sin so made a mistake first time round.
Here is my solution. Really Hard question if you didnt do vectors i think.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465410868.001565.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by physicsmaths
Yeh got it now, mixed uo one of cos for sin so made a mistake first time round.
Here is my solution. Really Hard question if you didnt do vectors i think.
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1465410868.001565.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nicely done! A lot of the questions were of that difficulty and length so I had less than 10 minutes when I turned over and saw that. Managed to do it using sine rule etc. You're right this was a long method to choose and I should've used vectors.
Nicely done! A lot of the questions were of that difficulty and length so I had less than 10 minutes when I turned over and saw that. Managed to do it using sine rule etc. You're right this was a long method to choose and I should've used vectors.

Cheers!
Im dissapointed i made a silly mistake first time round but all is good for my understanidng atleast. Come at me Edexcel M4. I will destroy you edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cheers!
Im dissapointed i made a silly mistake first time round but all is good for my understanidng atleast. Come at me Edexcel M4. I will destroy you edexcel.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wish I'd done Edexcel. I've never seen so many 6/7+ mark questions in one exam before
Wish I'd done Edexcel. I've never seen so many 6/7+ mark questions in one exam before

Tbh, I have seen around 5-8 similar questions to that relative motion question in edexcel so edexcel ain't that much easier tbh. but yeh so much material for edexcel means its fine whatever they throw.
Tbh, I have seen around 5-8 similar questions to that relative motion question in edexcel so edexcel ain't that much easier tbh. but yeh so much material for edexcel means its fine whatever they throw.

Relatively few people do AQA M3, so they don't make as many resources as Edexcel do. It was timing in that exam that adding extra difficulty though.
Reply 108
Original post by C0balt
Well if by some miracle I meet my offer for camb (which is extremely unlikely), I know I won't fit in 😂

Don't worry, he's going to Oxford, so you get full rights to hate him!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by C0balt
Yeah, if the A* requirement wasn't in FM I would, but I'm expecting a D on this exam. And FP2 will surely be a present from Satan as well

What modules will you have done by end of this year?
S2 and stuff can go into FM aswell.
Original post by aoxa
Don't worry, he's going to Oxford, so you get full rights to hate him!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I hope he gets a D.
Reply 111
What modules will you have done by end of this year?
S2 and stuff can go into FM aswell.

FP2 FP3 FP4 M3 M2. FP3 FP4 and M3 are done, none of them went brill, FP4 was reasonable, probably got 90 just about lol. M2 has the potential to be good but doubting myself after M3. FP2 I thought was my worst module but now I'll have to do well in it. FML
For finding PQ, i got dy/dx and = 0 (cause line of greatest slope is something to do with gradients right??

So I got O to Q to be x = 5root3, i forgot to do 5root3 - 6 to get the adjacent of the triangle but then i did costheta = (5root3 - 6)/PQ

PQ would have come out to be 3.76? Anyone else get that?

Provided what I did is right, i would have gotten about 5 right? lost two due to the fact i put the wrong number in and thus wrong answer?

In the end though, that paper was a flop, question 1 was GCSE, 5, 6, 7 was M7. Today was not a good day.

Edit:

Just some other answers i got if anyone wants to see them:

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Bobjim12
For finding PQ, i got dy/dx and = 0 (cause line of greatest slope is something to do with gradients right??

I don't think this is correct. It just wanted you to put values for vertical and horizontal displacement into the formula derived in part (a). If you use trig you can work out PQ which is 3.5 something. But I wouldn't worry too much, pretty much all of us here have made a lot of silly mistakes.

So I got O to Q to be x = 5root3, i forgot to do 5root3 - 6 to get the adjacent of the triangle but then i did costheta = (5root3 - 6)/PQ

PQ would have come out to be 3.76? Anyone else get that?

Provided what I did is right, i would have gotten about 5 right? lost two due to the fact i put the wrong number in and thus wrong answer?

In the end though, that paper was a flop, question 1 was GCSE, 5, 6, 7 was M7. Today was not a good day.

Edit:

Just some other answers i got if anyone wants to see them:

Spoiler

It wanted the magnitude, so +12 was right. I got 3/7 and 6/7 too. I also remember getting L^2 T^-1 for 2b. That's all I remember, I don't want to remember this paper anymore.
Original post by student0042
It wanted the magnitude, so +12 was right. I got 3/7 and 6/7 too. I also remember getting L^2 T^-1 for 2b. That's all I remember, I don't want to remember this paper anymore.

If one of them was angular momentum should it not be ML^2T^-1? It's defined as moment of momentum so its L x MLT^-1
I don't think this is correct. It just wanted you to put values for vertical and horizontal displacement into the formula derived in part (a). If you use trig you can work out PQ which is 3.5 something. But I wouldn't worry too much, pretty much all of us here have made a lot of silly mistakes.

Dammit, i thought i was doing something clever :frown:

i Think i got somewhere between 30 - 35 marks. Total **** up

Original post by student0042

Ok, I wasn't too sure if it said magnitude or not. Can't remember question 2 at all.

You're not alone there. I usually get 70+ but this was disastrous for me.
If one of them was angular momentum should it not be ML^2T^-1? It's defined as moment of momentum so its L x MLT^-1

I have no clue. I don't even remember it saying that haha. I should read more carefully.

Me too dude. I think most of us have got that many marks. I usually do well, but I just messed up big time today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending