The Student Room Group

Is there a point in applying to Aberdeen, again?

Hi!

So I applied to the BSc Psychology course at Aberdeen. I received an offer, though for their BA course accompanied by a note that I'd not qualify for their BSc course. Now that I'd like to apply to their BSc Biomedical Science course via Extra - should I try it or is that only wasted time?
There is a note on their website stating:
'Although admission at Aberdeen is to a degree and not to a particular Department or subject, you should still enter your preferred degree programme title and UCAS code in your UCAS application. However, in most cases it is easy to change your degree preference after you have begun your degree.

I am also holding an offer for BSc Psychology at Dundee University. So if you think I shouldn't apply to Aberdeen again, is it a better idea to accept the Dundee offer and change the course afterwards instead applying via Extra to a different university?
Original post by samman282
Hi!

So I applied to the BSc Psychology course at Aberdeen. I received an offer, though for their BA course accompanied by a note that I'd not qualify for their BSc course. Now that I'd like to apply to their BSc Biomedical Science course via Extra - should I try it or is that only wasted time?
There is a note on their website stating:
'Although admission at Aberdeen is to a degree and not to a particular Department or subject, you should still enter your preferred degree programme title and UCAS code in your UCAS application. However, in most cases it is easy to change your degree preference after you have begun your degree.

I am also holding an offer for BSc Psychology at Dundee University. So if you think I shouldn't apply to Aberdeen again, is it a better idea to accept the Dundee offer and change the course afterwards instead applying via Extra to a different university?

Unless you have changed the thing that made you unqualified for the BSc the first time, there is no point in trying again, unless the biomedical science degree requires less in the way of science qualifications than the psychology one, which seems pretty unlikely.
Reply 2
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Unless you have changed the thing that made you unqualified for the BSc the first time, there is no point in trying again, unless the biomedical science degree requires less in the way of science qualifications than the psychology one, which seems pretty unlikely.

Thank you! :smile: So do you think I should apply straight to Biomed Science through Extra or should I ask Dundee whether or not they can change my course to Biomed Science, first (I have a BSc offer for Psychology there, but I didn't find anything about changing courses on their site)
Thank you! :smile: So do you think I should apply straight to Biomed Science through Extra or should I ask Dundee whether or not they can change my course to Biomed Science, first (I have a BSc offer for Psychology there, but I didn't find anything about changing courses on their site)

I'd start by asking Dundee. It's very late in the season for Extra, and the lists won't be up to date, so you would need to call the universities first and ask them if they are still accepting applications. Biomed science is a pretty standard fifth choice for medics, so it is quite likely there won't be much, if any, choice by now. The phone is your friend at this point.
If you really wanna go study to Aberdeen that bad simply take a gap year and retake your exams. If you are okay with Dundee I would say go for it, find out whether you can swap to Biomed if not they could allow you to change your course later on. On the other hand if you study well enough in Dundee you may apply to study in Aberdeen with second year entry. You always have options you just need to use them :smile:. then again Aberdeen is very rainy/cold and expensive, do not know if you have been there, I have been accepted by them and I still did not go there xD well good luck.
x

You also need to make up your mind finally as to what you want to study before committing to a course. Biomedical Science is what, your fourth choice in a year?
Original post by ageshallnot
You also need to make up your mind finally as to what you want to study before committing to a course. Biomedical Science is what, your fourth choice in a year?

Having now looked at OP's previous posts, I have to say that I agree with this.
Reply 7
I agree with CLR: phone up Dundee and see if they would allow you to change course. But I would only do so if the entry requirements were the same for both courses.
Reply 8
Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Having now looked at OP's previous posts, I have to say that I agree with this.

To clarify: I want to study medicine. I've only applied to Psychology because I knew I don't qualify for entry into medicine in the UK and because I didn't know to what else I should apply - so mainly to keep my options open. Nothing wrong with that. Now that I haven't been offered admission by the universities I applied to for medicine (Germany and one in Poland), I want to study Biomedical Science if I don't find another university for medicine. So you don't need to worry about me :smile:.

Original post by Airmed
I agree with CLR: phone up Dundee and see if they would allow you to change course. But I would only do so if the entry requirements were the same for both courses.

Good hint! They're not the same, but similiar - requiring Chemistry and Biology, too. So will phone them, tomorrow.

Original post by Hungry Student
If you really wanna go study to Aberdeen that bad simply take a gap year and retake your exams. If you are okay with Dundee I would say go for it, find out whether you can swap to Biomed if not they could allow you to change your course later on. On the other hand if you study well enough in Dundee you may apply to study in Aberdeen with second year entry. You always have options you just need to use them :smile:. then again Aberdeen is very rainy/cold and expensive, do not know if you have been there, I have been accepted by them and I still did not go there xD well good luck.

I'd be very happy with Dundee, it's just the reputation and campus of Aberdeen.
To clarify: I want to study medicine. I've only applied to Psychology because I knew I don't qualify for entry into medicine in the UK and because I didn't know to what else I should apply - so mainly to keep my options open. Nothing wrong with that. Now that I haven't been offered admission by the universities I applied to for medicine (Germany and one in Poland), I want to study Biomedical Science if I don't find another university for medicine. So you don't need to worry about me :smile:.

Presumably Business Studies and Engineering with Management were momentary aberrations??? :smile:
Presumably Business Studies and Engineering with Management were momentary aberrations??? :smile:

I didn't have a clue what to study last year and went through almost every subject available. So yes. I started an internship in the hospital a few months ago, so now I know what I want to do :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending