The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Windowswind123
Do you need to do either FP2 or FP3 for FM?

Yes. Either FP2 or FP3, sorry should have said. So you'd have FP1, FP2, whatever else, and your 3 "A2 modules" could be M2, S2, M3

Original post by Kvothe the arcane
Pretty sure it's a c4 integral.
It is indeed
Original post by Windowswind123
Wait... FP2 isn't required to be an A2 module?
I could use M3, S2 and M2?
If so, praise baby jesus.

Yeah you can use those, as long as it is 270 UMS in 3 A2 units you're ok!
Original post by Student403
That's C1 is it not?

Sn of an arithmetic series is n/2 (a + l) where a = 1 and l = n

Yeah, so even less reason to complain haha
Given the grade boundaries in the previous few years for fp2, and considering the fact this paper was relatively tough, I'd say the grade boundaries will be around 68-69 for an A* and 63-64 for an A.
Original post by EricPiphany
Lol, I found it quite tough. I get overly nervous during exams.

I'm so glad I've seen this (I was afraid of posting on the Cambridge offer holders thread around mathmos) because I too get nervous in exams and FP2 was no exception. I spent a good long time hyperventilating from question 4 and managed to finish the paper but did no way near as well as I could have done :-/
Original post by Ayman!
Cheers! Agree with all of yours, I think I'm looking at around 71-ish.

Is that all wrong in question 2?
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
I'm so glad I've seen this (I was afraid of posting on the Cambridge offer holders thread around mathmos) because I too get nervous in exams and FP2 was no exception. I spent a good long time hyperventilating from question 4 and managed to finish the paper but did no way near as well as I could have done :-/

Unlucky :frown: It happens but it tripped many people up so well done on finishing :smile:
Original post by Student403
Unlucky :frown: It happens but it tripped many people up so well done on finishing :smile:

Cheers :smile: It's a shame because I have been getting 74-75 in my past few FP2 mocks but I think the pressures of the exam (along with it being more difficult this year) got to me :frown:
That integral is standard. Had to be said.
Cheers :smile: It's a shame because I have been getting 74-75 in my past few FP2 mocks but I think the pressures of the exam (along with it being more difficult this year) got to me :frown:

Happens to me in every exam lol - I know what you mean
Original post by Naeco
I guess the grade boundarie won't be very low... Most question was pretty standard except the question about dy/d(theta)+2y=sin(theta)

The polar might be a bit tricky but it is not extremely hard, the second order differentiation question is very similar to the 2015 june one so I guess many people should be already aware of that

And there are many proof question which is easy to get all the mark...

I guess the A* grade boundarie will be about 70-69 since I checked the previous paper's grade boundaries, 2015 was 71, 2014 and 2013 were 70 and 2012 was 69, the A* grade boundarie will definitely not be lower than 68

Good luck to everyone's FP3, their grade boundary was aboslutely low lol

Summation was a little nonstandard in my opinion, having to spit the summation into three and then evaluate separately won't be intuitively obvious for everyone :tongue:

Tbh a lot of good students feel this way.
Original post by Marxist
That integral is standard. Had to be said.

Depends. It takes a little experience to realise that a second iteration of IBP would do the trick I think
Original post by AlexFrangos
Is that all wrong in question 2?

Looks fine to me! I found the crit values and then sketched a graph to see where the inequality would lie. I got the same answer, though.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Original post by Ayman!
Looks fine to me! I found the crit values and then sketched a graph to see where the inequality would lie. I got the same answer, though.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

At first i also sketched the graph and found the solution from there but i didnt know if that was correct since the question said to use algebra to solve the inequality.
Original post by Euclidean
Depends. It takes a little experience to realise that a second iteration of IBP would do the trick I think

Agreed but you'd think a lot of FP2 students would know this. IBP twice is quite common, no? I l'm an AS student but doing a bit of calculus helps solve these types.
Original post by Marxist
Tbh a lot of good students feel this way.

Definitely, particularly because lots aim for 100% as well (I was but now there is no way that's happening!)
Original post by Euclidean

To be fair there were other methods you could consider as well:

- use a PI/CF method on the first order ODE
- differentiate and then use a PI/CF method on the resulting second order ODE
- write sine in its exponential form
- realise the integrand is the imaginary part of e^(2+i)x.
- double IBP
Original post by Marxist
Agreed but you'd think a lot of FP2 students would know this. IBP twice is quite common, no? I l'm an AS student but doing a bit of calculus helps solve these types.

Maybe, I remember using it in STEP questions but never in A-Level. Anyhow, shoulda done the trick with the grade boundaries :biggrin:
Definitely, particularly because lots aim for 100% as well (I was but now there is no way that's happening!)

Yep this is me, wanting a 100 in everything. I am confident so I don't get overly nervous but it happens from time to time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending