The Student Room Group

2016 Unofficial M1 Mark Scheme? 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 260
what grade would 54 be? please tell me its an A* ( 90 UMS ) JK
atleast say A?
Reply 261
Guys :frown:, what's the rule if i crossed out a right answer would it still be marked? I did this in two questions and i lost about 7 marks :frown:
If I made the following errors, what score should I expect out of 75? And what grade would you expect it to be roughly

Q3) Calculated reaction of brick on the pan instead of the stated pan on the brick

Q4) Incorrectly calculated Impulse using the data given and a mixture of formula

Q6) Incorrectly calculated mass and distance but used a viable method

Q7) All correct except direction of reaction on pulley (correct magnitude though)
Original post by pauux
Guys :frown:, what's the rule if i crossed out a right answer would it still be marked? I did this in two questions and i lost about 7 marks :frown:

depends how much you crossed out. always never cross out, and they mark your correct answer. If your crossed working out is still legible then they could likely still mark it
Original post by k3shb4kr4n14
If I made the following errors, what score should I expect out of 75? And what grade would you expect it to be roughly

Q3) Calculated reaction of brick on the pan instead of the stated pan on the brick

Q4) Incorrectly calculated Impulse using the data given and a mixture of formula

Q6) Incorrectly calculated mass and distance but used a viable method

Q7) All correct except direction of reaction on pulley (correct magnitude though)

Q3 you would get 2/3 as i compared it to the question 3 of gold paper 5

Q4 wasnt impulse?

Q6 depends on your method, you will have to go into more detail

Q7 3/4
Original post by samma1
what grade would 54 be? please tell me its an A* ( 90 UMS ) JK
atleast say A?

id say high b
Original post by KloppOClock
ALL ANSWERS HAVE BEEN EXPLAINED - CLICK ON THE MODEL ANSWERS TAB!

IMPORTANT NOTE: After speaking with some maths teachers, they have said that they believe the grade boundaries will be relatively low due to the simultaneous vector question and question three! :banana2:

*So people stop asking, when using 'g' 2 or 3 significant figures is fine.

How many marks should I give myself?

Spoiler

Question 1: (10 marks)

Spoiler

Question 2: (6 marks)

Spoiler

Question 3: (7 marks)

Spoiler

Question 4: (12 marks)

Spoiler

Question 5: (10 marks)

Spoiler

Question 6: (7 marks)

Spoiler

Question 7: (11 marks)

Spoiler

Question 8: (12 marks)

Spoiler

Model Answers: (click spoiler to show images)

Spoiler

Question Bank: (simplified)

Spoiler

If you want to try and calculate your UMS score, try this:

Spoiler

I hope you all did well!

For the question where you had to find F2, I wasn't sure what to do so put k as a constant for both the vectors, and ended up with it as -1, would this loose me all the marks? Also for the scale pan question in the second part, I did R - 2g = 1.5 x 0.5, so got 20.35N as my answer, how many marks would that loose me? I think I've got about 61 min, do you think it'll be enough to get an A?
Thank you!
Q3 you would get 2/3 as i compared it to the question 3 of gold paper 5

Q4 wasnt impulse?

Q6 depends on your method, you will have to go into more detail

Q7 3/4

Sorry, where I said Q3, I meant Q2, and where I said Q4, I meant Q3
Original post by olivia.grace.b
For the question where you had to find F2, I wasn't sure what to do so put k as a constant for both the vectors, and ended up with it as -1, would this loose me all the marks? Also for the scale pan question in the second part, I did R - 2g = 1.5 x 0.5, so got 20.35N as my answer, how many marks would that loose me? I think I've got about 61 min, do you think it'll be enough to get an A?
Thank you!

depending on the mark scheme 61 could likely be an a, although a low one.

you may get method marks for showing that F2 = a constant times that vector
however you may not get any more then that, altho if you managed to form some simultaneous equations you could get follow up method marks

for the scale pan question the marks are broken up like this (when compared to a nearly identical question last year)

1 mark for applying f=ma M1
1 mark for correctly using forces in ma A1
1 mark for a correct answer based on YOUR f=ma A1 (ft)
Original post by k3shb4kr4n14
Sorry, where I said Q3, I meant Q2, and where I said Q4, I meant Q3

a lot of the impulse marks would come from the suvat part of the question

im not entirely sure how the marks are broken down as the question is kind of unique in that there arent past similar ones that i could find
how much UMS do you think i will get for 65/75 ?
id say high b

Hi man,

Seeing as you seem to be the one that is now answering everyone's questions ( arsey beware )

I was wondering if you could answer a few things...

1) I think I got a max of 64 and a minumum of 56 ish on that exam ( I know its a big distortion but I just want to not put myself to high or to low on the marks) what UMS and grade would you assume

2) I think I got the UMS of a middle B in my FP1 exam ( cant remember excatly as it was a while ago ... for me anyway ), this is part of my AS further being combined with S2.. what kind of UMS and grade would I need in S2 to come out with a B or potentially an A ( I know this is a huge ask considering how much variance there is in the info I have given)

Cheers !

Will
Original post by Billsonbubbles

1) I think I got a max of 64 and a minumum of 56 ish on that exam ( I know its a big distortion but I just want to not put myself to high or to low on the marks) what UMS and grade would you assume

I am in the same boat, would be interested to know too!
Original post by Billsonbubbles
Hi man,

Seeing as you seem to be the one that is now answering everyone's questions ( arsey beware )

I was wondering if you could answer a few things...

2) I think I got the UMS of a middle B in my FP1 exam ( cant remember excatly as it was a while ago ... for me anyway ), this is part of my AS further being combined with S2.. what kind of UMS and grade would I need in S2 to come out with a B or potentially an A ( I know this is a huge ask considering how much variance there is in the info I have given)

Cheers !

Will

well your'e right that there are a lot of variables, so if you want to calculate your ums, do this.

1. Work out the gap between the grade boundaries (e.g a and b) in raw marks
2. Work out the gap between the your grade boundary grade in UMS marks (10 in this case).
3. Work out the gap between your mark and the next lowest grade boundary in raw marks
4. Divide the number worked out in step 3 by the number worked out in step 1. (in this case, 5/6)
5. Multiply this by the number in step 2 and add it to the next lowest grade boundary in UMS this time.

this will give you a decent result provided your marks aren't too high or low or they will be skewed. You would need to guess grade boundaries (maybe use last years). Then see how much UMS you need for your grade.

but its difficult to work out UMS, just aim as high as you can in your next exams.

however just looking at your marks, if you got a strong mark in the 60s you could get an A

maths teachers have said grade boundaries will be "relatively low" so i think an A grade could be within that range
(edited 7 years ago)
well your'e right that there are a lot of variables, so if you want to calculate your ums, do this.

1. Work out the gap between the grade boundaries (e.g a and b) in raw marks
2. Work out the gap between the your grade boundary grade in UMS marks (10 in this case).
3. Work out the gap between your mark and the next lowest grade boundary in raw marks
4. Divide the number worked out in step 3 by the number worked out in step 1. (in this case, 5/6)
5. Multiply this by the number in step 2 and add it to the next lowest grade boundary in UMS this time.

this will give you a decent result provided your marks aren't too high or low or they will be skewed. You would need to guess grade boundaries (maybe use last years). Then see how much UMS you need for your grade.

but its difficult to work out UMS, just aim as high as you can in your next exams.

however just looking at your marks, if you got a strong mark in the 60s you could get an A

maths teachers have said grade boundaries will be "relatively low" so i think an A grade could be within that range

Perfect thanks !

You're awesome man !

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly .... I am okay with S2 but haven't done so many past papers comparing the amount I have done for FP1 and M1 as I have a lot of exams.... fingers crossed.... I mean even if I somehow get a C it will be good :wink:

Cheers !
Reply 275
In question 8)a) i left my answer as 1.2g , will I loose marks for this?
Original post by TercioOfParma
Has it ever been that high? I reckon 60-61 for an A, a lot of my friends found it very difficult

Posted from TSR Mobile

There may be a curve ball where the C & B boundaries go down whereas the A & 90 UMS boundaries move up!
Original post by JTPLink
In question 8)a) i left my answer as 1.2g , will I loose marks for this?

thats fine
Reply 278
Hi. I have worked out that I got about 62/75 (minimum) on FP1 and on the m1 paper I got possibly 75/75 (give or take if I get all method marks). I was just then wondering how I'd have to do in my m2 paper to secure a solid A as that's my aim. If anyone could let me know it's be much appreciated :smile:

@KloppOClock @AMarques could you help? :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Attached are my solutions to the paper in pdf format. If there any mistakes please do tell me!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending