The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BethM98
:frown: how did your unit 3 paper go today?

really terrible:frown: for sleep i did a full essay and think it was alright but now looking at what everyones saying i think i did it wrong, for relationships i majorly ****ed up, my mind went COMPLETELY blank which is so frustrating as i revised so much, and same with gender schema, just went blank:frown:
so i've got ALOT to make up for on tuesday which is 4 days away and i've done nothing so i'm *****ing myself:frown:
Original post by evekay
really terrible:frown: for sleep i did a full essay and think it was alright but now looking at what everyones saying i think i did it wrong, for relationships i majorly ****ed up, my mind went COMPLETELY blank which is so frustrating as i revised so much, and same with gender schema, just went blank:frown:
so i've got ALOT to make up for on tuesday which is 4 days away and i've done nothing so i'm *****ing myself:frown:

literally me too :frown: relationships went okay but I hadn't revised gender schema so that was 20 marks gone ahaha, even though last year you only needed 34/72 for a C in unit 3 so I'm praying they'll be that low (preferably even lower ahaha) this year!! how are you feeling about research methods??
Original post by Onica
How many marks do you need to get a B on each question in PSYA3 and PSYA4

Last year which was when it was 102/155 for an A it was 89/155 for a B. It was 39/72 for unit 3 and 50/83 on unit 4

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bullseye1
You need to write about both because the questions said "discuss explanation(s)" indicating they wanted more than 1 explanation written about. If you wrote about 2 different types of group display, war and sport, then that's two explanations which is fine but I think if you just wrote about sexual jealousy and infidelity that will count as only 1 explanation and you'd get half marks.

No you don't.

I was told by my teacher at the start of the year and she always stressed this:

There are two topics for the evolutionary explanations: sexual jealousy and infidelity and group display.

If the exam simply states 'evolutionary explanations', you can discuss either, whichever you feel more confident on.

However, if they state 'group display' specifically, then you must talk about group display and those who talk about sexual jealousy / infidelity will not gain marks.

This exam today did not specifically say group display, and therefore both essays will be credited.

Don't worry guys!
Original post by BethM98
literally me too :frown: relationships went okay but I hadn't revised gender schema so that was 20 marks gone ahaha, even though last year you only needed 34/72 for a C in unit 3 so I'm praying they'll be that low (preferably even lower ahaha) this year!! how are you feeling about research methods??

yeah exactly! like so many people missed out gender schema.. but literally i just jotted something down, probably completely wrong! hoping i will scrape a C but really wanted to do well this year as i got a C last year and was disappointed:frown:

i'm not sure about the research mehtods. I've already looked at the like chi-squared stuff and am beginning to understand but the rest of it is alien to me, i also dont know how to design an exeriment or whatever they ask you to do!

do you wanna start like a chat on whatsapp or something? maybe that sounds really weird but idk maybe it'd be good to talk to each other about unit 4 and do the best we can? let me know:smile:
Reply 3765
I got 119UMS last year, poor i know.

What do I need this year to get a C or B? Is it possible for me to get an A?
Original post by perez_perez
This is literally insane! It does not require both explanations and congrats for finding the s in explanations. In the psychology book written by Cardwell and Flanagan (the book with the picture of a dog as the cover) it titles jealousy and infidelity explanations as EVOLUTIONARY EXPLANATION(S) OF HUMAN AGGRESSION therefore you don't NEED both you just need jealousy and infidelity or sports and warfare.

Also go type the exact same question from the exam and you will find the essays just on jealousy and infidelity (not group displays as well) come up. Stop tormenting candidates because actually THEY were right

If you look at my other comments I said I could be right or wrong, and there's been questions in the past with an s on the end of explanations that say in their markschemes that since it implies multiple explanation are asked for, only half mark can be gained if only 1 is discusses, therefore I don't see why this could be any different. Also the mark scheme for the same question you mention says you need to cover breadth as well as depth, which could mean they need to to discuss at least a little bit of another theory to demonstrate breadth. Yeah they are different parts of human aggression but they are so closely linked that the possibility of them being counted as 1 explanation can't be ruled out. Anyway, I'm not an AQA examiner so you don't have to listen to me, that's just what I think and clearly what many other thought as they made sure to include both group display and infidelity and sexual jealousy because they saw the question said "explanations". That's what I did, just to be on the safe side.
For the relationships question i talked about formation only and talked about reward / need satisfaction theory and the filter theory with around 6 a02 points and some IDA points. Is this suffienct enough for top marks ??
Original post by ellasavill
No you don't.

There are two topics for the evolutionary explanations: sexual jealousy and infidelity and group display.

If the exam simply states 'evolutionary explanations', you can discuss either, whichever you feel more confident on.

However, if they state 'group display' specifically, then you must talk about group display and those who talk about sexual jealousy / infidelity will not gain marks.

This exam today did not specifically say group display, and therefore both essays will be credited.

Don't worry guys!

That's exactly what I'm arguing, group display is one explanation and sexual jealousy and infidelity is another, and I think you needed to write about both due to the plural of explanations in the question, but I could be wrong. I'm not so sure because as I've said before sometimes in mark schemes where they say "explanations" in the question, they say you can only get a limited amount of marks if you only cover one explanation. And yes of course group display will be credited, I didn't say it wouldn't!
Original post by lucy112233
Hey, how many pages did everyone write? Just wondering:biggrin: I did nearly 11:tongue:

Ok so to everyone who is worrying, you only need to go into detail about one side of the essay. For example, if you're doing jealousy and infidelity as two separate A01 paragraphs, only explain one fully. Although, you should bring in infidelity in like a sentence so then you can do all the studies and IDA for infidelity. As long as it's evolutionary explanations, it doesn't matter how many you do. But I've been told just to mention the second theory/idea, instead of going into detail. If that makes sense?
Reply 3771
Original post by aj098
I got 119UMS last year, poor i know.

What do I need this year to get a C or B? Is it possible for me to get an A?

119 isn't poor- although I would've cried if I was 1 mark from a C
For those who mentioned infidelity and jealousy as well as group display for aggression, did you evaluate both and how?
Original post by syazmin
For those who mentioned infidelity and jealousy as well as group display for aggression, did you evaluate both and how?

Yeah i did both, for jeaousy I evaluated using Shackleford, his real life applications, and other studies on jealousy.

For infidelity I wrote about how its deterministic, e.g. dosen't factor free will, sometimes when infidelity occurs people just get drunk not commit uxoricide. I also mentioned a study saying people were twice as likely to be abusive towards wives who are pregnant. This proovides evidence for the evolutionary adaptive explanation of infidelity as we are likely to be more abusive to our wifes when they are pregnant.
Original post by ellasavill
No you don't.

Don't worry guys!

Link to loopa, read Saj's reply to the top comment at the bottom page, you'll see it if you scroll: http://www.loopa.co.uk/aqa-a-level-psychology-a2-overview-revision/

Everyone relied on Saj for psych predictions so you should also all listen to what he has to say about plural explanation asked for in questions, because he is right.
Original post by perez_perez
This is literally insane! It does not require both explanations and congrats for finding the s in explanations. In the psychology book written by Cardwell and Flanagan (the book with the picture of a dog as the cover) it titles jealousy and infidelity explanations as EVOLUTIONARY EXPLANATION(S) OF HUMAN AGGRESSION therefore you don't NEED both you just need jealousy and infidelity or sports and warfare.

Also go type the exact same question from the exam and you will find the essays just on jealousy and infidelity (not group displays as well) come up. Stop tormenting candidates because actually THEY were right

Also, here's a link to loopa, read Saj's reply to the top comment at the bottom page, you'll see it if you scroll: http://www.loopa.co.uk/aqa-a-level-psychology-a2-overview-revision/Everyone relied on Saj for psych predictions so you maybe should also all listen to what he has to say about plural explanation asked for in questions, because he is right.
Original post by saran12
For the relationships question i talked about formation only and talked about reward / need satisfaction theory and the filter theory with around 6 a02 points and some IDA points. Is this suffienct enough for top marks ??

Yeah, the question was discuss theories into formation and/"OR" maintenance into relationship. I also did formation only using reward/need satisfaction and the matching hypothesis.
Reply 3777
Does anyone have any good notes for addiction???
Original post by ssn2125
Honestly? I'm not sure, but I presume not, considering this is the last year for this spec.. don't worry, look at the predictions for psya4 on the site loopa (if you haven't already haha), his correct prediction rate is basically 100% lmao

It's not the last year, we still have a legacy year
For biological explanations for AN i talked about neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine and also talked about neural mechanisms saying LH and VMH damage can cause excessive hunger and people dont eat etc causing AN. Does neural mechanisms count as an biological explanation? ?

Latest

Trending

Trending