The Student Room Group

Obese Tax

(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Isn't that discriminating in a way?
Original post by undercxver

And that is why sensible laws wont get passed E.G banning smoking all together because everyone knows its bad for you just like obesity, why should i have to take in 2nd hand smoke?. You can't take feelings into account for something that is bad for you

Discrimination in and of itself isn't wrong if people can control those factors.
It's when you discrminate on innate characteristics, such as race, sex and sexuality, it becomes a problem. Because those things don't change your ability.
No it shouldn't be taxed imo, fat people pay taxes towards the NHS already.
However i think fast, fatty food should be taxed additionally to discourage people buying it regularly and to also help towards the cost of obesity to the NHS
Yes but the problem with taxing fatty foods is the average weight person shouldn't have to pay more because of other peoples faults. Someone eating fatty foods constantly would ruin it for others who may only have it occasionally
Original post by not_lucas1
And that is why sensible laws wont get passed E.G banning smoking all together because everyone knows its bad for you just like obesity, why should i have to take in 2nd hand smoke?. You can't take feelings into account for something that is bad for you

Interesting stuff. :hmmmm:

Original post by Zargabaath
Discrimination in and of itself isn't wrong if people can control those factors.
It's when you discrminate on innate characteristics, such as race, sex and sexuality, it becomes a problem. Because those things don't change your ability.

Most people can control their obesity but what about the minority who have medical reasons for being obese?
Why don't we create an obesity tax that states that if you are obese you must pay this tax, obviously it has to be a significant amount, not too expensive though. I believe this would help reduce obesity. The way around distinguishing who is obese and isn't is by forcing everyone to have a regular checkup at the doctors every year or so. Those who do not comply are automatically charged and those obese must pay the tax.
What do you think of this? Don't give me any ******** about how it will hurt peoples feelings, if you're obese you're obese so it would just be stating facts. I want reasons why it would/wouldn't work. And this could be done via BMI tests. Those who say 'what if the guy is just muscular but has a BMI of over 30?' or something along those lines, I'm pretty sure a doctor can distinguish between an obese and muscular person, if not they need sacking

Well, how much do you propose they are charged?

Classifying obesity via BMI is a dangerous game. Peoples weights can fluctuate by up to a few kg each day. If somebody is just 1kg over the threshold, they are then charged this 'obesity' tax even though on another day, they'd be considered 'not obese'. BMI doesn't account for muscle mass either, as you say.

Why would an obesity tax reduce obesity? Does tax on cigs stop people smoking? What about taxing those with lung cancer....will that stop people smoking?
Interesting stuff. :hmmmm:

Most people can control their obesity but what about the minority who have medical reasons for being obese?

what medical reasons?
Original post by hezzlington
Well, how much do you propose they are charged?

Classifying obesity via BMI is a dangerous game. Peoples weights can fluctuate by up to a few kg each day. If somebody is just 1kg over the threshold, they are then charged this 'obesity' tax even though on another day, they'd be considered 'not obese'. BMI doesn't account for muscle mass either, as you say.

Why would an obesity tax reduce obesity? Does tax on cigs stop people smoking? What about taxing those with lung cancer....will that stop people smoking?

It doesnt matter how much i say, the government would decide a sensible amount, enough to make it so obese people cant afford a lot of fatty foods, but not to high so they can still eat a good meal. Cigs are an addiction which has blown way out of proportion. The government should have just banned them but they are soft and scared of the backlash. Whats the worst that can happen, a backlash then after it becomes banned eventually everyone becomes healthier releasing that cigs were pointless and a waste of money.
For the fluctuation, you could measure it over a series of days. Yes it would take a lot of doctors time up, but by how much. How long does it take to measure bmi and write it down. No more than 5 minutes, meaning you could see 12 people an hour, give or take a few
It doesnt matter how much i say, the government would decide a sensible amount, enough to make it so obese people cant afford a lot of fatty foods, but not to high so they can still eat a good meal. Cigs are an addiction which has blown way out of proportion. The government should have just banned them but they are soft and scared of the backlash. Whats the worst that can happen, a backlash then after it becomes banned eventually everyone becomes healthier releasing that cigs were pointless and a waste of money.
For the fluctuation, you could measure it over a series of days. Yes it would take a lot of doctors time up, but by how much. How long does it take to measure bmi and write it down. No more than 5 minutes, meaning you could see 12 people an hour, give or take a few

this is clearly something you haven't given much thought to..
Let's be honest, there is absolutely no excuse for being obese unless its a medical reason, all it takes is exercising on a regular basis
Reply 12
There is a lot of stuff about there being certain genetic factors which increase your likelihood of being obese, so for some people it would be much harder to control their weight than others.

Also, weighing everyone in the country every year would take a massive amount of time and money for the NHS.
Let's be honest, there is absolutely no excuse for being obese unless its a medical reason, all it takes is exercising on a regular basis

does other peoples obesity concern you in any way?
Reply 14
It would be more precise if done by body fat percentage. However, I don't think there should be an obesity tax. Rather they should have to pay for such things as bariatric surgery and a gastric bypass instead of it coming out of NHS funds. Or make them pay an increased rate of national insurance along with other people with increased health risks due to lifestyle choices such as smokers. However, a standalone tax on obesity would be hard to pass as it would appear discriminatory and thus MPs would oppose it. It is easier to integrate the increased charge with changes to the NHS such as those done by our current government.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sint
There is a lot of stuff about there being certain genetic factors which increase your likelihood of being obese, so for some people it would be much harder to control their weight than others.

Also, weighing everyone in the country every year would take a massive amount of time and money for the NHS.

Well it seems OP wants to tax them so heavily, they can barely afford food each week.

The NHS would stand to make TONS of money.
Original post by Nurne
It would be more precise if done by body fat percentage. However, I don't think there should be an obesity tax. Rather they should have to pay for such things as bariatric surgery and a gastric bypass instead of it coming out of NHS funds. Or make them pay an increased rate of national insurance along with other people with increased health risks due to lifestyle choices such as smokers. However, a standalone tax on obesity would be hard to pass as it would appear discriminatory and thus MPs would oppose. It is easier to integrate the increased charge with changes to the NHS such as those done by our current government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To accurately measure BF% is time consuming, expensive and requires particular equipment. Impedance is a waste of time.

I agree with you though on the other points.
does other peoples obesity concern you in any way?

does other people smoking concern you in anyway. Of course it does. Do you want to inhale second hand smoke. No, knowing the health risks associated with it. Imagine is nobody was concerned with health issues, then what would happen?
Well it seems OP wants to tax them so heavily, they can barely afford food each week.

The NHS would stand to make TONS of money.

what a stupid comment, where did it say that, go on find it or make yourself look like an idiot
Original post by Nurne
It would be more precise if done by body fat percentage. However, I don't think there should be an obesity tax. Rather they should have to pay for such things as bariatric surgery and a gastric bypass instead of it coming out of NHS funds. Or make them pay an increased rate of national insurance along with other people with increased health risks due to lifestyle choices such as smokers. However, a standalone tax on obesity would be hard to pass as it would appear discriminatory and thus MPs would oppose it. It is easier to integrate the increased charge with changes to the NHS such as those done by our current government.

Posted from TSR Mobile

alright we increase national insurance for them, the same thing just masked isn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending