The Student Room Group

My Mum does not think I will get into university and Im really disheartened/given up

Scroll to see replies

Original post by highfly
Haha go on

My mother gets violent very easily and i still think it's my fault , although quite extreme these days , pulled a knife the other day but tbh she is unstable and ill and it's my fault for provoking her.

Can't believe i just posted fml
Original post by highfly
I did not do well at GCSE and got ABBBBCCCCD I am retaking my double science and maths which I got a C in to improve my overall subject profile so hopefully I will end up with A*AABBBBBCC , alongside this I am taking my ASLevels in History,Sociology,English Literature and Philosophy. I really want to study law and am aiming for LSE, Kings,Bristol,Warwick and maybe Kent or Exter, I have extenuating circumstances for my gcses yet my mother still thinks I will be rejected by the likes of warwick and Bristol, she said I am 'Delusional' and makes fun of my uni choices saying I'm the outcast out of all the applicants so I will never get chosen. I have just sat my AS levels and am aiming for As and Bs or 3As and C, I feel like giving up. I booked uni open days to visit Warwick and Bristol however she doesn't even want to go to the uni open days with me, I feel really low and makes my negative depressing thoughts worse. Do I even stand a chance

If I were you I'd be perfectly inclined to tell my mum to shut up.(that's me though).
A mother should not be so unsupportive and snobby towards her own son.
If she doesn't believe in you this should make you work harder and focus more on your goal so you can rub it in her snide face one day when you graduate with a degree.
Work hard and you'll get there one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TSR Mustafa
My mother gets violent very easily and i still think it's my fault , although quite extreme these days , pulled a knife the other day but tbh she is unstable and ill and it's my fault for provoking her.

It's definitely not your fault!
What kind of mother pulls a knife on her own son wtf.
She needs help man.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by shreddingfish92
Sounds like your mum is a dick. Go to the open days if you like, but they're not really necessary in my opinion. I got AAAABBBBBBC for GCSE and one E at A Level, I'm starting a chemistry BSc in September at the age of 24. I could have got in to uni back in 2011 through clearing but chose not to.

My advice is to spread you bets, apply to two good unis, two average/good and perhaps one that offers a foundation access course.

Can i ask some questions please?

What were your A level subjects and grades?

and

what job are you hoping to get with your Chemistry degree?
Reply 24
Original post by TSR Mustafa

Im sorry to hear that, I can't relate but only when I was younger and in the process of applying to secondary schools(because when we were doing test papers for the 11+ non verbal and verbal reasoning if I got things wrong) she used to smack me, pull my ears, hair and poke a pencil in me till I bled, she kicked me under the table and stuffed my own bunny(stuffed toys) in my mouth :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by RossB1702
If I were you I'd be perfectly inclined to tell my mum to shut up.(that's me though).
A mother should not be so unsupportive and snobby towards her own son.
If she doesn't believe in you this should make you work harder and focus more on your goal so you can rub it in her snide face one day when you graduate with a degree.
Work hard and you'll get there one day.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks , Im actually a girl but its hard when she keeps repeating it
Original post by JDPokemonTrainer
Can i ask some questions please?

What were your A level subjects and grades?

and

what job are you hoping to get with your Chemistry degree?

Physics: U
Maths: U
Chemistry: E

Bear in mind these grades were five years ago. Since then I've travelled and completed an apprenticeship as well as grown up a bit! I spent most of my A Levels at the beach and I really wasn't mature enough at 18 to be going to uni. I'm naturally quite smart but never bothered to apply myself in school when I was younger.

Job-wise I'm keeping my options open so I'm not set on an industry in particular. I'd be interested in working in the food industry or possibly going back to Australia to work in mining.
Original post by highfly
I did not do well at GCSE and got ABBBBCCCCD I am retaking my double science and maths which I got a C in to improve my overall subject profile so hopefully I will end up with A*AABBBBBCC , alongside this I am taking my ASLevels in History,Sociology,English Literature and Philosophy. I really want to study law and am aiming for LSE, Kings,Bristol,Warwick and maybe Kent or Exter, I have extenuating circumstances for my gcses yet my mother still thinks I will be rejected by the likes of warwick and Bristol, she said I am 'Delusional' and makes fun of my uni choices saying I'm the outcast out of all the applicants so I will never get chosen. I have just sat my AS levels and am aiming for As and Bs or 3As and C, I feel like giving up. I booked uni open days to visit Warwick and Bristol however she doesn't even want to go to the uni open days with me, I feel really low and makes my negative depressing thoughts worse. Do I even stand a chance

She's the one who's delusional, she has no idea of the true force of willpower and determination. Go OP you can DO IT!!!!! :angelwings:
Original post by shreddingfish92
Physics: U
Maths: U
Chemistry: E

Bear in mind these grades were five years ago. Since then I've travelled and completed an apprenticeship as well as grown up a bit! I spent most of my A Levels at the beach and I really wasn't mature enough at 18 to be going to uni. I'm naturally quite smart but never bothered to apply myself in school when I was younger.

Job-wise I'm keeping my options open so I'm not set on an industry in particular. I'd be interested in working in the food industry or possibly going back to Australia to work in mining.

Which Uni are you at?
When someone doesn't believe in you the best thing to do is to prove them wrong.
Plymouth (not the best but certainly not the worst). Also had offers from Cardiff and Swansea.
Why don't you use your determination to prove her wrong?

here's some motivation for you...

[video="youtube;GLcJHC9J7l4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLcJHC9J7l4[/video]
Original post by highfly
Thanks , Im actually a girl but its hard when she keeps repeating it

Yeah sorry about that. I thought I clicked in your profile and it said male, must have accidentally clicked on someone else's profile.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
**** her poor attitude.
Yes you stand a great chance... I know someone who did BTEC science who got an offer for Warwick. But this boy did get As/A*s in his GCSES... but dont let that put you off. Drive outweighs talent. Not everyone can have talent, but anyone can have a drive that will be sure to open more doors than pure talent.
You can do it! :smile:
Original post by highfly
I hope so , she's been saying these comments for such a long time and keeps repeating that I don't stand a chance, it is all getting too much for me, I already have issues with how I feel and being low this is making it so much worse

Aw. I know this'll be hard but just try your best to ignore her hurtful comments. She'll be the one to feel stupid when you get there, not you :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your mum is one person in 7 billion people. Her opinion does not have any effect on you and don't let it affect you because her view of you is different to who you really are. I believe in you, you can do this :smile:
Don't ****ing give up that's the worst thing you could do. Some members of my family always looked at me as the black sheep of the family because I had a more lax approach to school than them however I am dedicated to becoming a solicitor in the city and if I do it I will be financially better off than any of them ever imagined. They probs thought I wouldn't even end up at uni or if I did it would be a rubbish one. Don't discount the effect that having passion drive and dedication can have
Original post by highfly

Prove her wrong, it will be even more satisfying when you prove her wrong after all the years of her trying to put you down.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending