The Student Room Group

Obese Tax

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Then so should alcohol and unhealthy food...

Everyone should be allowed to have a vice

smoking more so because it affects people around you via second hand smoke
Some people might not be able to afford that if they are low income. Also why should they pay a tax? i'm generally asking you not doubting your idea?
Original post by not_lucas1
Im surprised a feminist hasnt jumped in this thread and said that

what does feminism have to do with this
Reply 43
An obese tax is long overdue. These people are nothing but a burden on society, especially transport. It's not acceptable for a person to pay for 1 seat on a plane and take up 3.
Original post by hezzlington
The obesity rate increase is constant across all income/education cohorts, but not the obesity rate itself. The richer/more educated you are, the less fat you'll most likely be according to the stats.

According to poverty.org.uk, "there is no obvious relationship between obesity and income". Which surprised me, I expected to find that richer, more educated people would have a lower obesity rate. But that doesn't appear to be the case.
my point is you probably know less than 3 poor obese people, if any at all. I know of none

I don't know any poor obese people, that doesn't in any way negate the statistics. The UK population isn't the same as my friendship group...
what does feminism have to do with this

you serious? They are always saying let women be proud of being fat. Not something worthy of being proud of is it. Just lower standards
Why don't we create an obesity tax that states that if you are obese you must pay this tax, obviously it has to be a significant amount, not too expensive though. I believe this would help reduce obesity. The way around distinguishing who is obese and isn't is by forcing everyone to have a regular checkup at the doctors every year or so. Those who do not comply are automatically charged and those obese must pay the tax.
What do you think of this? Don't give me any ******** about how it will hurt peoples feelings, if you're obese you're obese so it would just be stating facts. I want reasons why it would/wouldn't work. And this could be done via BMI tests. Those who say 'what if the guy is just muscular but has a BMI of over 30?' or something along those lines, I'm pretty sure a doctor can distinguish between an obese and muscular person, if not they need sacking

Why don't we kill the fat people who complain about their weight and try call it "discrimination" against fat people when it's a life choice and they refuse to change?
does other peoples obesity concern you in any way?

Yes when they complain about it AND refuse to change
other than that not really no
Let those who want to be fat, be fat.

So that those of us who do actually train hard/go to the gym stand out and look great.

Spoiler

Yes i agree :biggrin: as long as they don't complain about it :smile:
smoking more so because it affects people around you via second hand smoke

Oh please, the air in London is more harmful than second-hand cigarette smoke.

And has it not occurred to you that most smokers try not to blow smoke in the faces of nearby non-smokers?

Also, fast food affects people around you too. When someone gets on the tube with a Mcdonalds takeaway, everyone can smell it and gets tempted to pig out on fast food!
Original post by JavaScriptMaster
Oh please, the air in London is more harmful than second-hand cigarette smoke.

And has it not occurred to you that most smokers try not to blow smoke in the faces of nearby non-smokers?

Also, fast food affects people around you too. When someone gets on the tube with a Mcdonalds takeaway, everyone can smell it and gets tempted to pig out on fast food!

are you by any chance a smoker?
Original post by Plagioclase
According to poverty.org.uk, "there is no obvious relationship between obesity and income". Which surprised me, I expected to find that richer, more educated people would have a lower obesity rate. But that doesn't appear to be the case.

I don't know any poor obese people, that doesn't in any way negate the statistics. The UK population isn't the same as my friendship group...

Ah, I couldn't find my source.

That all looks legit, I stand corrected! that's quite fascinating really. The women show a nice decrease but the men are all over the place. The data is quite old I'd like to see it for 2015/16.
are you by any chance a smoker?

Original post by JohnGreek
The issue here is that one of the main reasons why people become obese is them not being able to afford healthier food, which tends to be more expensive (compare fresh fish or fruit to some cheap supermarket meal and you'll get what I'm talking about). Perhaps you could put an extra tax on junk food while simultaneously using that revenue to subsidise healthier alternatives?

I don't believe it when people say they can't afford healthy food.
Original post by _icecream
I don't believe it when people say they can't afford healthy food.

yeh i know its like £5 for a chicken breasts, like £2 for veg and a few quid for anything else. The price of junk food is much cheaper, but who cant afford what i just said other than poverty stricken people that live on streets/ in shelters etc
yeh i know its like £5 for a chicken breasts, like £2 for veg and a few quid for anything else. The price of junk food is much cheaper, but who cant afford what i just said other than poverty stricken people that live on streets/ in shelters etc

Fresh veg is really perishable and you have to buy lots.

If you're admitting that junk food is cheaper, then what you said earlier about making sure they can't afford 'fatty meals' make no sense.
Fresh veg is really perishable and you have to buy lots.

If you're admitting that junk food is cheaper, then what you said earlier about making sure they can't afford 'fatty meals' make no sense.

yeh but is a chocolate bar or packet of crisp going to fill you? you'd have to buy several before you get anywhere near a what you'd feel from a meal
Why don't we create an obesity tax that states that if you are obese you must pay this tax, obviously it has to be a significant amount, not too expensive though. I believe this would help reduce obesity. The way around distinguishing who is obese and isn't is by forcing everyone to have a regular checkup at the doctors every year or so. Those who do not comply are automatically charged and those obese must pay the tax.
What do you think of this? Don't give me any ******** about how it will hurt peoples feelings, if you're obese you're obese so it would just be stating facts. I want reasons why it would/wouldn't work. And this could be done via BMI tests. Those who say 'what if the guy is just muscular but has a BMI of over 30?' or something along those lines, I'm pretty sure a doctor can distinguish between an obese and muscular person, if not they need sacking

I wrote a 1,000 word essay on this topic on why I believe it should be introduced to the UK for my English portfolio this year.
I'm all for it, there's great evidence that it will improve the UKs health and will also benefit the NHS greatly also.

EDIT: whoops, I thought you meant fat tax!
No I don't agree with this at all lol thats not right to tax obese people for being obese. I got mixed up with putting a tax on unhealthy foods(fat tax).
No I don't agree with introducing tax for obese people at all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Ok, if this ever happened, I would laugh bc what has this world come to, that we'd actually make people that are obese pay for being extremely overweight which could be something genetic or something they can't control entirely.

Obesity affects many of the poorest members of our society due to cheap, bad food, there are also other factors which affect this like stress. Richer fat people would just pay the tax. A better solution is exercise / healthy eating.
Original post by Mrs.Grey
Ok, if this ever happened, I would laugh bc what has this world come to, that we'd actually make people that are obese pay for being extremely overweight which could be something genetic or something they can't control entirely.

This was discussed earlier, if its genetic is a completely different story. Read the other pages before you post again. As someone pointed out as well, if you exercise regularly how would you be obese?
Original post by michellincaptain
Obesity affects many of the poorest members of our society due to cheap, bad food, there are also other factors which affect this like stress. Richer fat people would just pay the tax. A better solution is exercise / healthy eating.

Find a way to motivate obese people and you will be the solution to one of the biggest health problems

Quick Reply

Latest