The Student Room Group

Edexcel History - Unit 3C Boom, Bust and Recovery

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bsbnah
I'm not sure which grade but i'd say maybe a mid A bc of all the stats and analysis but you should add more factors :smile:

oh ok, what can other factors would you add?
Reply 61
Original post by Sademajek
oh ok, what can other factors would you add?

I'd defo add prohibition as a factor bc it led to immigrants bringing violence to America - valentines massacare + illegal alcohol selling - John Torrio & Al Capone also they had influence over politcians like Mayor Big Bill who was only in power bc of them thus they bought fear also one of the reasons prohibition was introduced was to retaliate against the german brewers bc of the anti german feelings americans had

I would also put american people (wage earners) as a factor bc they felt the immigrants were taking their jobs bc they were a form of cheap labour therefore more likely to be employed adding to this you can argue that due to wages dropping, american citizens were affected by this too and they blamed immigrants for that so they demanded immigration be restricted - you can also add that as more were migrating to the north, the population of the north grew which meant more representatives for the north in the HOR therefore this angered the south and increased further anti immigrant feelings
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by bsbnah
I'd defo add prohibition as a factor bc it led to immigrants bringing violence to America - valentines massacare + illegal alcohol selling - John Torrio & Al Capone also they had influence over politcians like Mayor Big Bill who was only in power bc of them thus they bought fear also one of the reasons prohibition was introduced was to retaliate against the german brewers bc of the anti german feelings americans had

I would also put american people (wage earners) as a factor bc they felt the immigrants were taking their jobs bc they were a form of cheap labour therefore more likely to be employed adding to this you can argue that due to wages dropping, american citizens were affected by this too and they blamed immigrants for that so they demanded immigration be restricted - you can also add that as more were migrating to the north, the population of the north grew which meant more representatives for the north in the HOR therefore this angered the south and increased further anti immigrant feelings

Thanks a lot!!!
I really hope Opposition to Roosevelt comes up in part A D: Anyone else?
Original post by MidnightMist
I really hope Opposition to Roosevelt comes up in part A D: Anyone else?

That is my ideal question tbh lol
What do you talk about in a opposition to roosevelt and new deal question for PART A?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 66
Original post by Bubbles26
What do you talk about in a opposition to roosevelt and new deal question for PART A?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right wing critics - Republicans & business men thinking his role had become too interventionist, he was betraying his own class by upping taxation for the wealthy - revenue act. business men bc they felt his policies were hostile towards them

Left wing critics - they felt he wasnt doing enough so he was more threatened by left wibg figures like; Huey Long - share our wealth campaign had 7.5 mil members + being governer of Louisiana, father coughlin - 40 mil radio listeners contrast to the little FDR had for his fireside chats, Townsend - Townsend plan to help pensioners giving them $200 a month given that they spend it in 30 days to fuel the boom - FDR threatened by this introduced the social security act but it didnt have much of an effect bc it only gave them $30 a month

Supreme court - they felt he was too involved in peoples lives, they liked the laisse faire approach taken by previous presidents, they felt he was becomibg a dictator, acting too much in the legislative branch so threatened the seperation of powers, the supreme court ruled NIRA unconstitutional following the schecter v US case & the AAA unconstitutional following the Butler v US case & 11/16 alphabet agencies as unconstitutional - FDR responded with the court packing plan by increasing the supreme court justices from 9 to 15, of course this was in his favour as he'd choose the justices thus have more support in the SC but this angered the SC and those in FDR's administration as he was stepping over his bounds

If i've missed anything please add on to it, this was all from the top of my head lol
Reply 67
Has anyone got any factors why prohibtion was a success? I got the fact that the intake reduced; 2.6 gallons to 1 gallon per person, agents Izzy and Moe seized $15 million worth illegal alcohol and 4,000 arrests and the efficiency & productivity increased in the workplace

Are there any other factors? I want a balanced argument but i have way too many failures and not enough sucesses to be discussed in depth 😁
Original post by bsbnah
Has anyone got any factors why prohibition was a success? I got the fact that the intake reduced; 2.6 gallons to 1 gallon per person, agents Izzy and Moe seized $15 million worth illegal alcohol and 4,000 arrests and the efficiency & productivity increased in the workplace

Are there any other factors? I want a balanced argument but i have way too many failures and not enough successes to be discussed in depth 😁

>There was a decline in reported domestic abuse
>Women could enter speakeasies, whereas they were not welcome in saloons. So it was like unintended progress in women's suffrage.
>Speakeasies created jobs for African Americans as they were employed to play jazz
>Arrests for drunkenness fell
>Growth in the soft drinks industry

Hope this helped :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by MidnightMist
>There was a decline in reported domestic abuse
>Women could enter speakeasies, whereas they were not welcome in saloons. So it was like unintended progress in women's suffrage.
>Speakeasies created jobs for African Americans as they were employed to play jazz
>Arrests for drunkenness fell
>Growth in the soft drinks industry

Hope this helped :smile:

Thank you! Have you got any stats for these? Like evidence that can be used
Hi guys, any predictions for friday, im hoping for the consumer boom to come up for part A and ive revised the new deal in depth so i will take on that question for part b...
Original post by bsbnah
Thank you! Have you got any stats for these? Like evidence that can be used

The statistics are like a doubled edged sword, you can use them for supporting successes of the prohibition however they also show the successes were short-term.

Arrests for public drunkenness and disorderly conduct declined 50 percent between 1916 and 1922. For the population as a whole, the best estimates are that consumption of alcohol declined by 30 percent to 50 percent. By the greatest majority of indicators, the biggest drops in alcohol consumption and alcohol problems actually came before national prohibition went into effect. Those drops continued for about the first two years of Prohibition and then alcohol consumption began to rise. By 1926, most of the problems were worse than they had been before Prohibition went into effect and there were a number of new problems -- such as a drinking epidemic among children -- that had not been there before.
This website has statistics of deaths relating to alcoholism over the years:
http://www.druglibrary.org/prohibitionresults.htm

I can't find any statistics for domestic violence, just most sources state it did decline.

Growth of soft drinks industry, output 182 million crates during prohibition. Coca-cola- National Temperance Drink.
Anybody doing the depression for the controversy question? If so do you have any essays that I could use for general statistics as I still need to do more past papers?
For the ww1 immigration question my teacher sent me a plan of: para 1 - ww1, para 2 pragmatic factors (southern states and fear of wage earners), para 3 red scare and para 4 old ideas??
Reply 74
Original post by JakeJames98
Hi guys, any predictions for friday, im hoping for the consumer boom to come up for part A and ive revised the new deal in depth so i will take on that question for part b...

i am hoping for the prosperity too! and going to answer the depression as they link nicely together:smile:
Is it just me that would have written about the fear of the effect of the Russian Revolution led by Lenin (1917) that led to the 1st red scare?
Reply 76
Original post by TypicalRemix
Is it just me that would have written about the fear of the effect of the Russian Revolution led by Lenin (1917) that led to the 1st red scare?

no i would have done that too, that is one of the main causes of the red scare, as the Bolshevik seizure of power caused great concern in the USA and promopted expansion of federal government, and increase in security measures such as immigration reform.
Reply 77
Exams tomorrow, literally hoping for reasons for the boom & a question on Hoover!
Original post by bsbnah
Exams tomorrow, literally hoping for reasons for the boom & a question on Hoover!

same dream essay and dream sources question
Reply 79
Original post by amymcm11
same dream essay and dream sources question

I wouldnt mind the reasons for the depression either tbh - how much own knowledge are we supposed to put? Bc i feel like it's mostly source based and cross ref and own knowledge can become very limited

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending