The Student Room Group

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 2 - 9th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by maximo17000
the percision is just the smallest measurement an instrument can do, e.g. a ruler goes up in 1mm increments so the percision is 1mm and the u.c. of a ruler is plus or minus 1mm.

assuming the ruer has mm marks on it of course

I'm so confused do we use half the increment or the smallest increment itself
Original post by JackSpinner1
For Q31 - you would redraw the circuit from p to Q to see the differnet path where the current would go. This would cause the circuit to split at the first junction, where one route will go through 4R then directly to Q, and the other path would go to R. After this point (following the path from R) it will split again to a 3R and 6R route and then meet up again, just befote the final R resistor then going back to Q.

You should have have the 3R and 6R resistor in parallel, and so you add them together using 1/Rt = 1/R1 +1/R2 and you will get 2R. This 2R should be in series to the two R resistors, so you add them together to get 4R. Finally this 4R resistor is in parallel to to the other 4R resistor (wich goes directly to Q) and so you add these together and you should get 2R

How do you know to do this? :/
Anyone know of a YouTube video that goes through the specimen set 2 paper 2 (v1.2)? Most of the questions on there don't make sense and the mark scheme is so bad at explaining how to get the answer. I am pretty sure I have already failed the paper tomorrow unless a Miracle~ will happen or the grade boundaries are super low. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by 11234
I'm so confused do we use half the increment or the smallest increment itself

You would use half of the increment on a ruler but on each side,
so you get 2x 0.5mm which adds up to +-1mm
On digital scales its +-0.5 of the smallest value it can record, but rounded up to 1. So I think you use the non rounded value in any calculations?
WINWORD_2016-06-08_20-49-07.png

WINWORD_2016-06-08_20-13-31.png

Taken from the aqa workbook for the new spec
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 84
Guys, what other topics do you think will come up so far I'm guessing moments and refraction or TIR?
based off paper 1, what topics are more likely to come up on this paper?
My teacher didn't explain error bars, please could someone?
what is the stopping potential equation? Ive googled it but it came up with dodgy symbols that i havent seen before
Original post by runningcat
My teacher didn't explain error bars, please could someone?

You just plot the uncertainties onto the graph as a line.

Eg if its +-1mm you add that onto the value

Usually done though with multiple measurements so you end up with a mean, and the error bar is half the range
WINWORD_2016-06-08_21-10-19.png

If asked to calculate uncertainty in gradient, you draw either the line that goes through all the highest or lowest points of the error bars and then find the difference between that and the line of best fit
Original post by BrambleGB

Usually done though with multiple measurements so you end up with a mean, and the error bar is half the range

If asked to calculate uncertainty in gradient, you draw either the line that goes through all the highest or lowest points of the error bars and then find the difference between that and the line of best fit

Does the latter bullet point mean that on EACH side of the point it is equal to half the range? I.e. the entire bar both UP and DOWN are the entire range?

Thank you so much!:smile:
Original post by CrazyFool229
Does the latter bullet point mean that on EACH side of the point it is equal to half the range? I.e. the entire bar both UP and DOWN are the entire range?

Yes, each side of the mean would be half the range.
Yes, each side of the mean would be half the range.

Cheers! Good luck btw
Original post by M1key_007
Anyone know of a YouTube video that goes through the specimen set 2 paper 2 (v1.2)? Most of the questions on there don't make sense and the mark scheme is so bad at explaining how to get the answer. I am pretty sure I have already failed the paper tomorrow unless a Miracle~ will happen or the grade boundaries are super low. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Saammmeee :s-smilie:

Unfortunately, there aren't any Youtube videos on the set 2 specimen paper that I know of, but there's a channel called ' LAE Physics ' which I find quite helpful and he goes through some of the practical skills that used to be tested in coursework but are now tested in this evil exam.

For example, heres a video he did on calculating uncertainties ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrGSDHSOM5E
Original post by JackSpinner1
Can someone explain the answer to question 33 on the second set of specimen papers?

Ok so basically the answer can't be C or D because they would give the same voltage. It can't be B because in parallel voltage is same as cell on every branch and so the only option left is A.You could also replace in a voltage for the cell like 12V and as it goes through each resistor it loses 4 volts so 8 volts at Q at 8 at U so potential difference is zero. Answer = A
Original post by not_lucas1
what is the stopping potential equation? Ive googled it but it came up with dodgy symbols that i havent seen before

It is the voltage required to bring a electron at Max kinetic energy to a stop.
Where eVs = Ekmax
But seeing as the energy required to stop it is equal to the energy it contains, the stopping potential is simply the maximum kinetic energy of a electron converted to eV(You quote just the V value without e I think, eg 5V not 5eV), because 1 electron needs 1 eV to move through a potential difference of 1V.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jessyjellytot14
Saammmeee :s-smilie:

Unfortunately, there aren't any Youtube videos on the set 2 specimen paper that I know of, but there's a channel called ' LAE Physics ' which I find quite helpful and he goes through some of the practical skills that used to be tested in coursework but are now tested in this evil exam.

For example, heres a video he did on calculating uncertainties ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrGSDHSOM5E

Thank you! I'll check it out maybe it will help me tomorrow.
Stopping Potential came up on the last paper btw. Not saying it won't come up because knowing AQA it probably will
So do we need to know the procedure of every practical we've done or no?????
Original post by Amar Chana
So do we need to know the procedure of every practical we've done or no?????

Yes. They could ask you questions on ANY of the six required practicals.

Quick Reply

Latest