The Student Room Group

Anyone have bad hayfever atm??

I HATE it so much. I'm constantly sniffling through exams and my nose runs as much as a marathon runner. In the winter, I get colds and in summer I get hayfever!! I always have a runny nose. Don't even get me started on the itchy eyes..

Hayfever tablets don't even work for me :frown:
I'm suffering from hayfever a fair bit at the moment too, my nose and mouth feel itchy and I keep having to blow my nose! :frown:
Had to use my steriod spray and tablets today and still don't feel 100%
Try Loratadine (?) it helps to take the edge off of mine sometimes. Nasal sprays are also good, and if you do not wear contacts try eye drops. Ask your GP if it gets worse :smile:
Original post by Leviathan1741
I'm suffering from hayfever a fair bit at the moment too, my nose and mouth feel itchy and I keep having to blow my nose! :frown:

It's the worst thing ever!! I sneeze one time in the morning and from then it all starts and gets worse from there :s-smilie:

Original post by claireestelle
Had to use my steriod spray and tablets today and still don't feel 100%

Yeah, that's the problem. I take the tablets but I still feel bunged up and gross :frown:

Original post by Ddraigdwr2
Try Loratadine (?) it helps to take the edge off of mine sometimes. Nasal sprays are also good, and if you do not wear contacts try eye drops. Ask your GP if it gets worse :smile:

Thank you for the advice, I should start using eye drops anyway as I sometimes have really dry and irritable eyes. Nasal sprays could work as well!:h: I'll have a bit of a research about loratadine to see if I should invest in some.
Original post by george_c00per
It's the worst thing ever!! I sneeze one time in the morning and from then it all starts and gets worse from there :s-smilie:

It really is! People who don't have it don't understand how bad it can be!
Yeah, that's the problem. I take the tablets but I still feel bunged up and gross :frown:

Which particular ones do you take? I find loratadine is now completely useless but the other two normally work so maybe try a different type to see if it helps you better.
mine is so bad sat through a 2 hour 15 min exams sneezing all the way through, it was hard for me to concentrate i wonder how the rest of the people felt.
Just keep going back to the doctor until you find some hayfever meds that work on you. I've been through cetirizine hydrochloride, loratodine, piriton, a bunch of medicines I don't remember the names of and right now the one that is working for me is fexofenadine hydrochloride and my hayfever is extremely bad like itchy, stinging red eyes and stuffy, tickly nose and loads of sneezing and eye watering and overall feeling horrible. I know how you feel about being in the exam, all I've been doing in exams is blowing my nose and sneezing loads.
Make sure to go to the doctor and see if he/she can prescribe you something stronger or more suited to you
Also
-having a hot or cold bath will make you feel refreshed and usually opens up your nose and just helps
-washing face with cold water is extremely refreshing and make sure not to rub your face too much with a towel or when you're washing with facial wash or soap because it can make your eyes more irritated and raw
-using a vicks nose inhaler or just sniffing a tub of vicks opens up your nose if it's blocked or stuffy and sometimes just kind of speeds up the process of sneezes in a go so that you feel better afterwards and your nose doesn't feel all tickled and itchy
Original post by claireestelle
Which particular ones do you take? I find loratadine is now completely useless but the other two normally work so maybe try a different type to see if it helps you better.

Usually I take antihistamine or just the regular "hayfever relief" tablets from asda or somewhere, they could also be antihistamine but I haven't really checked lol. that's probably a good idea to try out different ones, i'm sure there will be at least one tablet that helps.
Usually I take antihistamine or just the regular "hayfever relief" tablets from asda or somewhere, they could also be antihistamine but I haven't really checked lol. that's probably a good idea to try out different ones, i'm sure there will be at least one tablet that helps.

The pollen is supposed to be "very high" this week, but yeah try a different tablet and maybe try eye drops and salt sprays too.
i have the exact same problem. i hate constantly sneezing in exams. the only tablets that work for me make me drowsy so i just cant take any tablets or i wont be able to do my exams .

i just love the stares i get from people next to me when i sneeze - the room is dead silent so you can hear it proper loud...
Original post by BlueParadise
i have the exact same problem. i hate constantly sneezing in exams. the only tablets that work for me make me drowsy so i just cant take any tablets or i wont be able to do my exams .

i just love the stares i get from people next to me when i sneeze - the room is dead silent so you can hear it proper loud...

trust me some end up giving me weird stares, sniffing is so bad it feels like im in December.
i hate it because im sniffing all year around and then in the summer nose bleeds start so much so im basically a mess all year round

Quick Reply

Latest