The Student Room Group

Edexcel Government & Politics - Unit 2 Governing the UK (09/06/16)

Scroll to see replies

Does anything think the essay question for Parliament could be something like 'assess the arguments in favour of an elected, or partly elected, HOL'?
Original post by alevelpain
I don't think it's difficult xd it's just the functions of the house and how well they're carried out, not much to it :tongue: and I've learnt all 4 now I regret it but oh well :tongue:

That's smart your prepared
I'm hoping for elected second chamber and functions but doubt they'll come up
I'm screwed it seems. Only God can save me
Im on the same boat lol :ashamed:If they completely *** up the layout idek what I'm gonna do. Unit 1 was so bad and I want to continue politics next year but if they screw it up...i'll have words
Original post by xxvine
I will walk out lol
Original post by Student 1305
Im on the same boat lol :ashamed:If they completely *** up the layout idek what I'm gonna do. Unit 1 was so bad and I want to continue politics next year but if they screw it up...i'll have words

Nice questions can only save me..us? But after unit 1 not gonna put it past them to mess us up
The way I understand this question, 'To what extent does the prime minister control the cabinet?' is that you have to evaluate the PM's powers. Is this right or do people have different views on how to answer this?
Original post by xxvine
Nice questions can only save me..us? But after unit 1 not gonna put it past them to mess us up

I wouldn't dwell too much on unit 1, over now and you probably did better than you think
if - by some miracle - they are super nice to us and give us what we've predicted, then we can ace this s***....but knowing edexcel, they'll screw us over somehow :s
Original post by xxvine
Original post by popcornjpg
I still don't get that though lol.

IMO Constitution is the easiest topic, followed by Judiciary, then PM and Cabinet, then Parliament.

There just isn't as many details, examples etc. to learn as there is for the others.

Like does anyone here find the Constitution difficult? It's the one topic that 90 per cent of people are relatively confident in it seems

I find it to be difficult. But comparing the constitution and judiciary, I choose the constitution. I'm revising 3 topics (PM & Cabinet, Parliament and Constitution) Constitution is definitely the hardest out of the 3 for me.

To be honest, though, I'm about ready to jump out of the window in frustration with this unit. It just sucks, full stop. The only bit I like is PM & Cabinet, the rest is just going in one ear and out the other in lessons. :laugh:
I agree with what you've said :smile: I'd answer it in relation to the power the PM has
I often use my plan on 'PM has too much power' for that question and the presidential one :smile:
Original post by jjbloomy
The way I understand this question, 'To what extent does the prime minister control the cabinet?' is that you have to evaluate the PM's powers. Is this right or do people have different views on how to answer this?
I'm still making notes now :frown: do you think its possible to go through things and consolidate my knowledge tomorrow morning? I plan to wake up at 5 and work until I have to leave home. Am i being too unrealistic?
Original post by UKStudent17
I find it to be difficult. But comparing the constitution and judiciary, I choose the constitution. I'm revising 3 topics (PM & Cabinet, Parliament and Constitution) Constitution is definitely the hardest out of the 3 for me.

To be honest, though, I'm about ready to jump out of the window in frustration with this unit. It just sucks, full stop. The only bit I like is PM & Cabinet, the rest is just going in one ear and out the other in lessons. :laugh:

You know your stuff though
You know what I'm not gonna stress
English I just didn't care and I got an A
Hope same applies this time
I'm still making notes now :frown: do you think its possible to go through things and consolidate my knowledge tomorrow morning? I plan to wake up at 5 and work until I have to leave home. Am i being too unrealistic?

Don't do that
You'll forget
Just make essay plans and pray for nice qus
Worse case you can retake next year
Original post by Louise12307
The Pearson website it just so evil to me!! It won't load papers on my phone and I don't have a working computer! If someone could let me know past paper questions with dates I would be so so grateful.

Use google chrome.
thank you! I've done plans and notes for Constitution and Parliament but I haven't touched PM&Cabinet. Should I just plan questions for that topic??
Original post by xxvine
Don't do that
You'll forget
Just make essay plans and pray for nice qus
Worse case you can retake next year
Original post by DeafeningSilence
Does anyone have an good legal cases/judges rulings examples? Of course there's the Belmarsh case, but in a 40 marker you'd obviously need more examples... Something to do with 'Ultra Vires', something to do with Rule of Law, something showing where their power is restrained.... Any help would be much appreciated (:

An ultra vires case was "HM Treasury vs Ahmed and Others" in 2010, where the Supreme Ct ruled that the government didn't, legally, have the power to freeze accounts of suspected terrorists.

However, Parliament soon passed the "Terrorist-Asset Freezing Act" in 2010, which gave the government the power to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, quick! What does and entrenched constitution mean and does the UK have this?
Original post by Louise12307
An ultra vires case was "HM Treasury vs Ahmed and Others" in 2010, where the Supreme Ct ruled that the government didn't, legally, have the power to freeze accounts of suspected terrorists.

However, Parliament soon passed the "Terrorist-Asset Freezing Act" in 2010, which gave the government the power to do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh, so The Terrorist-Asset freezing act was passed AFTER the ruling- thank you so much!
Nope the UK does not have an entrenched constitution which means it can be amended like ordinary law through a simple Act of Parliament
Original post by JamieHarris1998
Guys, quick! What does and entrenched constitution mean and does the UK have this?
So I'm only revising Constitution, Parliament and PM & Cabinet. Anyone got any cramming tips??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Nope the UK does not have an entrenched constitution which means it can be amended like ordinary law through a simple Act of Parliament

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending