The Student Room Group

A2 AQA Geography GEOG 3 2016

Scroll to see replies

I cannot read through 89 pages of thread lol
Sorry but can someone please tell me predictions for ecosystems and plate tectonics (short questions and essay) what's everyone thinking?
What about short questions for world cities?
Thank you :smile:
Good luck everyone, hopefully the paper is nice to us
What are everyone's timings like and how long do you spend planning the 40 marker? Also, is it worth looking at the essay and planning it then going onto one of the 25 markers to then come back to it or is it better to just go straight into it? :smile:
After 2 hours spent rereading my notes, I think I'm ready... Praying a volcano question for the 40 marker doesn't come up because my volcano case studies are weak.
for the world cities 40 marker. if it is on retailing do we think that 2 case studies are enough? for example the Trafford centre and the metro-centre. the immediate impacts on the local areas (like jobs and noise pollution) and the impacts on Newcastle and Manchesters CBD? or would you need more case studies for a 40 mark question?
Original post by mrt1997
What are everyone's timings like and how long do you spend planning the 40 marker? Also, is it worth looking at the essay and planning it then going onto one of the 25 markers to then come back to it or is it better to just go straight into it? :smile:

I'm going to look through the whole paper first and read the questions, this should take a couple of minutes. I then plan to spend 5 minutes planning the 40 marker and 65 minutes writing it. The rest of the time will be used evenly between the 25 mark sections :smile:
Original post by lozengerrrr
Good luck everyone, hopefully the paper is nice to us

You too, I've just got a feeling they're going to throw in a curveball. Sigh.
Original post by mrt1997

max 40 mins on both structured, leaving 70 mins for the essay including 5 mins planning and just over an hour to write
Original post by Sacred Ground
After 2 hours spent rereading my notes, I think I'm ready... Praying a volcano question for the 40 marker doesn't come up because my volcano case studies are weak.

Same, would be the worst thing if a volcanoes question came up
Reply 1769
What is a 10 marker on theory of plate movement/evidence for plate movement likely to look like?
Reply 1770
Can someone please give me a detailed plan for Reasons for groupings of nations? Thanks! So stuck haha
how much time should you be spending on each a 7,8,10 and 40marker?
Original post by parfh

Any ideas for these 40 markers?

‘Technology is the best way to reduce the impact of an earthquake.’ To what extent do you agree with this view?

To what extent do cities experience the same problems and rely on similar solutions, wherever they are?

For the technology one, this is my essay plan (based on tohoku 2011 and haiti 2010)

Tohoku 200 seismographs, 600 intensity meters, and warning systems. Japanese Meteorological Agency detected p-waved and immediately issued TV and phone warnings. Predicted the tsunami 3 minutes after the EQ, giving people in coastal areas 20 minutes to evacuate.
There is a lot of technology and knowledge of earthquake prevention in Tohoku (90% of the worlds earthquakes are in the nearby ring of fire) with buildings made to move with seismic waves and built with reinforced concrete beams, and sea walls of up to 10m to reduce tsunami risk. Over 15,000 dead still. Most buildings still standing after earthquake.

Haiti Geologists warned a major EQ could hit Haiti, but didn’t know when as earthquake timings cannot be predicted. There is little knowledge of earthquake defence, so buildings had poor foundations. Falling buildings is the biggest killer in earthquakes and the lack of technology to cater for this proved fatal. Up to 316,000 people are estimated to have died. 188,383 buildings damaged after earthquake.

Then went on to write about the social demographic and responses to the event of each country and what effect this had on the impacts of the disaster. Then finished with physical factors eg liquefaction and magnitude and came to the conclusion that technology is the best way to mitigate impacts however it's reliant on the country's level of development.

I can send you the whole plan if you want but didn't want to block up the forum with it
Original post by cmcl
What is a 10 marker on theory of plate movement/evidence for plate movement likely to look like?

Discuss evidence for the theory of plate tectonics

simple as that
Reply 1774
Hi guys, so i've been looking at predictions and done a few 8/10 mark answers to the most common ones for tectonics and development.

If anyone has anymore questions/answers that please please share them! You can even add them to the document and reupload (just let me know if you do so)! Also if anyone has any ways of making this answers better please let me know too!

Hopefully these can help and lets pray AQA is nice to us :frown:
Reply 1775
Original post by ga7798
For the technology one, this is my essay plan (based on tohoku 2011 and haiti 2010)

Tohoku 200 seismographs, 600 intensity meters, and warning systems. Japanese Meteorological Agency detected p-waved and immediately issued TV and phone warnings. Predicted the tsunami 3 minutes after the EQ, giving people in coastal areas 20 minutes to evacuate.
There is a lot of technology and knowledge of earthquake prevention in Tohoku (90% of the worlds earthquakes are in the nearby ring of fire) with buildings made to move with seismic waves and built with reinforced concrete beams, and sea walls of up to 10m to reduce tsunami risk. Over 15,000 dead still. Most buildings still standing after earthquake.

Haiti Geologists warned a major EQ could hit Haiti, but didn’t know when as earthquake timings cannot be predicted. There is little knowledge of earthquake defence, so buildings had poor foundations. Falling buildings is the biggest killer in earthquakes and the lack of technology to cater for this proved fatal. Up to 316,000 people are estimated to have died. 188,383 buildings damaged after earthquake.

Then went on to write about the social demographic and responses to the event of each country and what effect this had on the impacts of the disaster. Then finished with physical factors eg liquefaction and magnitude and came to the conclusion that technology is the best way to mitigate impacts however it's reliant on the country's level of development.

I can send you the whole plan if you want but didn't want to block up the forum with it

That is so kind, thank you! Would be great if you could send whole plan!:biggrin:
Original post by badboyblonde69
how much time should you be spending on each a 7,8,10 and 40marker?

Im doing 10 mins for the 7 marker, 12 mins for the 8 markers, 18 for the 10 markers
So that is 40 mins for each
Then for the essay ill be spending an hour
Ten mins to chedck it all makes sense

Ill probably do the essay first but leave the conclusion until after i finish the structured, so if i remember anything in the last ten minutes i can add and then complete a conclusion
Reply 1777
Discuss the impact of NICs on the global economy (10 marks) - How would you answer this?
Original post by parfh
That is so kind, thank you! Would be great if you could send whole plan!:biggrin:

No problem, Ive attached it
Reply 1779
Original post by ga7798
No problem, Ive attached it

thank you, that's really kind! hope tomorrow goes well for you, you have obviously done a lot of work!:smile:)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending