The Student Room Group

Edexcel FP2 Official 2016 Exam Thread - 8th June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Just wondering for A2 I the modules I am doing are: C3 C4 M2 M3 FP2 FP3 and I am wondering for my maths A level can I have it as (C3 C4 M3) and the other 3 modules for further maths?
Original post by Reidy97
Is there an unofficial mark scheme anywhere ?

I believe Zacken is uploading one tomorrow, there's a 24 hour delay as Edexcel don't like the papers up for a day after the exam
Original post by Hineshtailor
Just wondering for A2 I the modules I am doing are: C3 C4 M2 M3 FP2 FP3 and I am wondering for my maths A level can I have it as (C3 C4 M3) and the other 3 modules for further maths?

You can't use M3 for A-Level Maths

S1 S2 // M1 M2 // M1 S1 // D1 D2 // D1 M1 // D1 S1

I believe are the only combinations of non-core modules you can have
Any1 got an unnoficial ms for fp2 2016?
Original post by Ayman!
PRSOM

do you find A level exams more stressful than STEP?

I haven't done any STEP exams yet.
[QUOTE=Euclidean;65581581]You can't use M3 for A-Level Maths

S1 S2 // M1 M2 // M1 S1 // D1 D2 // D1 M1 // D1 S1

I believe are the only combinations of non-core modules you can have
No you have m3 I have done it
Original post by kyfer-19
Any1 got an unnoficial ms for fp2 2016?

Scroll up a little, just a tiny bit. Spotted it? Clearly not if you're still reading this.
Original post by PhysicsIP2016
Yeah, I suppose. I thought the method of differences one was nice too but the double IBP one bothered me so much I couldn't do it in the end (in hindsight I feel silly for not being able to do it but this has confirmed that I couldn't have done a maths degree :laugh:). If only they used a nicer angle for that last question! That was a pain having to constantly write arccos(3/4) everywhere...

In future you can write y = arcos(3/4) and write y instead of arcos(3/4) all the time to save time.

The same applies to DeMoivre's etc, writing y=cos(theta) or y=sin(theta)
For the polar equations question, would I lose marks for leaving the value for arccos(3/4) stores in my calculator instead of manipulating arccos(3/4)? I ended up with 32 and a bit
Yeah, I suppose. I thought the method of differences one was nice too but the double IBP one bothered me so much I couldn't do it in the end (in hindsight I feel silly for not being able to do it but this has confirmed that I couldn't have done a maths degree :laugh:). If only they used a nicer angle for that last question! That was a pain having to constantly write arccos(3/4) everywhere...

To be honest I felt like a lot of precious time was wasted writing those arccos 3/4 all the time, especially given I was time pressured and wanted to do the questions I've left to go back to.
Original post by Wsswilliamoxley
For the polar equations question, would I lose marks for leaving the value for arccos(3/4) stores in my calculator instead of manipulating arccos(3/4)? I ended up with 32 and a bit

Given how disgusting it is I don't think they'd expect you to use exact values, so if you got ~32.5 you're most likely safe
It's weird because that is like I used to be - I never used to get nervous in exams but now that Cambridge has made me care a lot about UMS I've been shaking so badly!

I know, right... I'm seriously questioning why I feel slightly gutted at having dropped 5 marks when I need about 5 UMS to get an A*, it's so irrational but I can't help it.
Original post by Pixel_Green
Given how disgusting it is I don't think they'd expect you to use exact values, so if you got ~32.5 you're most likely safe

Thankyou, trying to pull myself together after I couldn't do question 4 and made a mistake on question 2
Original post by bananamonkeys
To be honest I felt like a lot of precious time was wasted writing those arccos 3/4 all the time, especially given I was time pressured and wanted to do the questions I've left to go back to.

Haha yeah I thought the same, so I just let A=arccos3/4.
Thankyou, trying to pull myself together after I couldn't do question 4 and made a mistake on question 2

To be honest I'm expecting 60-70% raw marks due to exam pressure and time constraints messing with my judgements and making me rush. And yet I know it should've been an easy 80-90% with slip ups:L
Original post by Pixel_Green
To be honest I'm expecting 60-70% raw marks due to exam pressure and time constraints messing with my judgements and making me rush. And yet I know it should've been an easy 80-90% with slip ups:L

Yeah it's very frustrating, having got very good grades in mocks and past papers I feel like I cracked under the pressure. Hoping for generous grade boundaries as I think I've got around 60-65
Original post by Braggy97
No you have m3 I have done it

No.

M3 will not contribute to A Level Maths
Yeah it's very frustrating, having got very good grades in mocks and past papers I feel like I cracked under the pressure. Hoping for generous grade boundaries as I think I've got around 60-65

Well according to me in the exam, 3^2 = 3 when you put it in front of an integral sign on 8b. Bye bye 3-5 marks there. Then countless dumb errors or lack of completion due to lack of time
Original post by chandlerr
Well I guess not getting an A* in Further Maths will affect you getting into Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick etc. but I mean if you're taking a gap year then you could resit FP2 next year? or any others which you don't get what you want in. What I mean by a 4th A2 unit in Further Maths is say for example I do better in M1 and D1 than in both M2 and D2. The M1 and D1 will be used towards the Mathematics A level and the M2 and D2 will be used towards my Further Mathematics A level. So I will have 4 A2 units (FP2 FP3 M2 D2) in my Further Maths A level. Of the 4 of these, 3 of them need to total 270 UMS for an A*.

im doing s1 and d1 for maths along with cores. I really wanna go warrick but they need A* in FM. My whole reason for taking a gap year was so i could go warrick. Im doing 4 A levels but If I get A* A* A* and like an A or B in FM will they care
Original post by fpmaniac
im doing s1 and d1 for maths along with cores. I really wanna go warrick but they need A* in FM. My whole reason for taking a gap year was so i could go warrick. Im doing 4 A levels but If I get A* A* A* and like an A or B in FM will they care

Very likely, but not certainly. I know people who've been rejected getting 1 mark off A* in further maths.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending