The Student Room Group

AQA A2 Mathematics MPC3 Core 3 - Wednesday 15th June 2016 [Official Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Qcomber
yep thats what i got. I'm guessing you're doing fp2

Yeah, you?
Original post by Qcomber
If it does come up, they shouldn't have because knowledge of inverse trigonometrical integration is not on the spec for c3. Whereas the fp2 spec clearly states that you need to know that it even exists in the formula book.

They could probably lead you into it though giving you a substitution.
Original post by Ano123
Yeah, you?

Yes, all other FPs too.
Original post by Qcomber
Yes, all other FPs too.

Same, I assume you're doing AQA?
Original post by Ano123
Same, I assume you're doing AQA?

Yes. Hoping they won't destroy us like they did for my friends sitting M3
Original post by Ano123
They could probably lead you into it though giving you a substitution.

I would guess not, I have no idea what arcsin is

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ComradeLenin
I would guess not, I have no idea what arcsin is

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its another way of writing sin^-1(x), or, 'inverse sin'.

Since that can be confused with (sinx)^-1, we have arcsin. Thats what i think/ been taught that it it, I could be wrong you never know :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by MahuduElec
Its another way of writing sin^-1(x), or, 'inverse sin'.

Since that can be confused with (sinx)^-1, we have arcsin. Thats what i think/ been taught that it it, I could be wrong you never know :biggrin:

I prefer arcsin notation.
Reply 148
What would you say the best tips were for getting full marks? Always seem to slip up somewhere or another on a silly sign error or leaving answer in wrong form.
In the C3 and C4 exams, do they tell you which substitution to use in integration?
Original post by Dzinq
What would you say the best tips were for getting full marks? Always seem to slip up somewhere or another on a silly sign error or leaving answer in wrong form.

I would do every question twice if you have time. If you don't have time for every question then just be confident on your answers for the easy questions then check your answers for the ones you considered hard thoroughly.

On my C2 exam last year I literally did a question 3 times to make sure I was right, while finding a mistake the 2nd time around, the odds are, if you're aiming for full marks, that you're not going to make a mistake more than once.
Original post by tanyapotter
In the C3 and C4 exams, do they tell you which substitution to use in integration?

Most of the time they will. If not it will be a 'Use a suitable substitution' question, where more often than not the substition will be inside the brackets.

For example x(7x+3)^(3/2)

I just made that up, but you would use the (7x+3) as a substitution.
Original post by Dzinq

When marking a past paper, write down on a seperate sheet all the mistakes you made. The notes should be detailed enough so it reminds you what you did wrong and how you could fix it. Do this for all the papers you do or have done, on the same sheets.

Every now and then look at that sheet and revise from it. Slowly you'll remember to look out for those small things and overtime, you should make less mistakes. It's worked for me so far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tanyapotter

I don't think I've seen one where they don't give you the sub, but C3 integrals the sub is very obvious.
If you have found the correct answer but you have used a method that is a bit different to the markscheme, would you lose marks?
Reply 155
anyone else aiming for an A*?
Original post by Guls

Yep. Still a bit confused about how to get an A* overall though
Original post by Guls
Hopefully, yeah. Need an A* for the course I want to do :smile:
Reply 158
Original post by Mowerharvey
Yep. Still a bit confused about how to get an A* overall though

i am aswell. getting a B on the recent c4 that i just did didn't help.
Reply 159
Original post by muonfrisbee98
Hopefully, yeah. Need an A* for the course I want to do :smile:

nice. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending