The Student Room Group

OCR Computer Science 08/06/16

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Alano74
Can anyone work out what I need in the exam in order to get A or A*?

I had 2 A* in coursework?

- Thanks

You'd need like a fairly high B for an A* like a mid to low B for an A
I generally find questions like binary/denary/hex conversions easier aswell as logic gates etc compared to these type of questions.
Reply 142
Original post by notDatBoi
You'd need like a fairly high B for an A* like a mid to low B for an A

Can i ask how you worked that out btw?
Original post by Huntlol
it was fairly easy, however for the database question asking for a query i said
SELECT film FROM table WHERE genre="comedy"
is that correct?

I thought it was more like (year = 2016) AND (category = "comedy")
Original post by Alano74
Can i ask how you worked that out btw?

Well judging by the fact you got 2 A*'s I'd that that would probably be around 175 ums for the overall CA's give or take depending on what you actually got. You'd need another 95 ums from the exam for an A*
95 ums is pretty much borderline A so when I say high B I mean like 1 mark of an A
In all seriousness, will the grade boundaries be roughly similar like 5 marks up because let's be honest it won't go down from 2015's ridiculously low boundaries. I really hope it doesn't jump to something like 60 odd for an A or I'm royally screwed because I don't want below an A.
Original post by Ruth_Hannah
I thought it was more like (year = 2016) AND (category = "comedy":wink:

Yep, thats what I got. It wanted you to give the query as in the format presented previously.
Original post by CyberJake
Yep, thats what I got. It wanted you to give the query as in the format presented previously.

I got Year = 2015 AND catergory = comedy, would that be full marks?

I'd guess so, I put it in the format as shown previously just to make sure, but you should be okay.

Yeah I doubt you need brackets
Original post by zeldor711
Yeah I doubt you need brackets

Do you know for the IDE question, I put for one of them "Syntax checker/highlighter" and it would be used to check the code for errors and helps him identify where it is so it's easier for him to correct it. Would you say that is worth any marks?
Wasn't very sure on that one
Do you know for the IDE question, I put for one of them "Syntax checker/highlighter" and it would be used to check the code for errors and helps him identify where it is so it's easier for him to correct it. Would you say that is worth any marks?
Wasn't very sure on that one

Yeah, I put something similar ("word highlighter" - even worse lol). I think you'll probably get two marks for that one whereas I'll get one for my explanation.
Yeah, I put something similar ("word highlighter" - even worse lol). I think you'll probably get two marks for that one whereas I'll get one for my explanation.

Ah okay thanks, hope you get the marks

One more thing, for the LAN and WAN comparison, I got 1 of the points that I'm confident I got which is the geographical area difference but for the 2nd one I put something along the lines of "LAN is not necessarily connected to the internet but WAN is because it's over a large area and need to communicate" is that anywhere even close to getting 1 or 2 marks?
How much marks would it be for a C?
Original post by Ruth_Hannah
I thought it was more like (year = 2016) AND (category = "comedy":wink:

I done that first, I don't know why I felt I should do my second option, lost 2 marks just like that. ffs.
Reply 156
(edited 7 years ago)
One more thing, for the LAN and WAN comparison, I got 1 of the points that I'm confident I got which is the geographical area difference but for the 2nd one I put something along the lines of "LAN is not necessarily connected to the internet but WAN is because it's over a large area and need to communicate" is that anywhere even close to getting 1 or 2 marks?

I think it's technically right but may not be on the markscheme.
Reply 158
Bump Updated with a markscheme :smile:
Did you factor in the generally low computing grade boundaries using the OCR UMS converter? I used the 2015 ones to do it.

Whole thing is out of 300 UMS, with 270 for A*. 90 for each of the coursework pieces, leaving 120 for the exam.
If you got full marks on the coursework (I was two marks off) then you only need 90 UMS in the exam. Using the UMS converter, you get 90 UMS as being approximately 49/80 in 2014 and 46/80 in 2015 (61% and 58% respectively).

Therefore, with full marks in the coursework you only need about 60% in the exam for A*

Most years the grade boundary for an A* is 90% and it has been 89% at one point.
The 2015 boundaries are anomalous (70% for an A*).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending