The Student Room Group

*OFFICIAL* 2016 WJEC GCSE English Language Post Exam Discussion

Scroll to see replies

Thank you, I was so panicked after...
imo that exam was better than last years. The reading section was so much more interesting and quite easy to pick out stuff.
Idk if anyone will see this but I accidentally wrote a letter instead of report because I didn't see where it said report and it said 'to your headteacher'. I wrote the right thing but how much will it affect it
Original post by Maiasnowx
Idk if anyone will see this but I accidentally wrote a letter instead of report because I didn't see where it said report and it said 'to your headteacher'. I wrote the right thing but how much will it affect it

Reports are quite a lot different in the fact that it's better to right in third person and it's very factual and serious and should get straight to the point. Also layout features are a lot different in a report. You'll probably lose a some chunk of marks, just make sure you read the questions properly and carefully for the rest of the exams, so sorry about this and good luck for the rest of your exams.
Original post by B3ASTy
Reports are quite a lot different in the fact that it's better to right in third person and it's very factual and serious and should get straight to the point. Also layout features are a lot different in a report. You'll probably lose a some chunk of marks, just make sure you read the questions properly and carefully for the rest of the exams, so sorry about this and good luck for the rest of your exams.

Yeah hopefully I might scrape a b I doubt tho
Reply 25
I didnt use subheadings will i lose loads of marks
Reply 26
Hello does anyone know the grade boundaries for the foundation , what mark do you need out of 80?
Reply 27
Original post by Mitch383
I didnt use subheadings will i lose loads of marks

I didn't use them either I just did a heading...
I felt eally happy with my speech but I wrote about a charity that helps African kids instead of local.
how many marks do you think I'd lose for this?

I response would be much appreciated
I made up a charity that provides activities for young carers. God knows why, as I'm not a young carer nor do I know much about it, but it was the only thing I could think of. I do think that my best friend messed it up, as she wrote a letter instead of a report and about a charity called stroke uk which may or may not be real 😂
If that many people had trouble with it hopefully the grade boundaries will be lower than the wall stuart heritage's brother fell off.
Original post by ruadb0y
How did you all find it? I was really expecting a letter would come up in Unit 2 like it has every time. Thanks WJEC... The speech and report weren't too bad IMO; they were just a little unexpected. I thought Unit 1 was ok though.

It was okay. I forgot to write 'thankyou for listening' at the end of the speech but i'm hoping i won't lose too many marks for that.
Original post by Maiasnowx

If it makes you feel better my friend did that
Reply 32
For my report I forgot to write a date and a title, how many marks could I lose for this?? (I did subheadings and everything, just totally forgot a title)
Reply 33
Original post by ma77tyLG9
I felt eally happy with my speech but I wrote about a charity that helps African kids instead of local.
how many marks do you think I'd lose for this?

I response would be much appreciated

Well, I believe that a charity that helps African kids could be local. The charity itself doesn't actually have to be based in Africa and could be based in your city/town etc; it would not matter as long as you did not SAY the charity was located in Africa. A charity located in the UK could still give all the money it raises to the "kids in Africa".

I may be wrong as I can't remember the question fully, but I see no reason why you should lose marks as long as you don't specifically say the charity is located in Africa.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
It was about writing to your principal or headteacher about making improvements to the behaviour of your school.
Hey guys, I screwed up in the first section (the reading paper) which is out of 40 marks. I was wondering if you knew for sure what amount of marks would earn me a B grade in this part of the paper? (higher tier btw)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by zacharyboi
Hey guys, I screwed up in the first section (the reading paper) which is out of 40 marks. I was wondering if you knew for sure what amount of marks would earn me a B grade in this part of the paper? (higher tier btw)

If the grade boundaries are as high as they were 2-3 years ago, it's probably 22/23 for a b
I got A* for all my coursework, what marks do i have to achieve in Reading and Writing to gain a grade B.Also, i made a mistake of writing a letter instead of report. How many marks would i be off?
I did this as well!! Stupidly,the first thing that came into my head was Street Child Africa because its our school charity :frown: The rest of the speech was great I think (if not a bit cheesy hahahah) but I cant remember specifically saying if it was LOCATED in Africa (so now im panicking) ,but I'm hoping that because I said in the speech it was our school charity, it might pass as local :/ ah well

And plus, I THINK the report went okay because i included quotes and titles and solutions and sophisticated language but I feel like it was a tad too emotional at the end? I said stuff like 'It is vital that we protect our student's health through the prevention of smoking' when reports are supposed to be factual....
Reply 39
Original post by ellenthefangirl
but I'm hoping that because I said in the speech it was our school charity, it might pass as local :/ ah well

Yh that'd be fine dw about it; you wouldn't lose many marks anyway if you did say it was in Africa i should think

Quick Reply

Latest