The Student Room Group

is taraweeh 20 or 8 bruv

Scroll to see replies

Original post by champ_mc99
Yeah I just thought you came out. Must be kinda awkward though lol

I might tell them one day, although I doubt it. If/when I move out permanently I doubt I'll feel the need to. Lying is wrong but I'd feel worse making my parents feel like they've somehow failed as parents.

It's not too awkward just yet :laugh:

Original post by undercxver
Oh right, yeah I know that bit. I was wondering the actual way to pray it. Like is it the same going through the Qur'an or is it like a normal 2 rakah nafl? I'm hearing so many different views on this. :erm:

Bless, I'm getting confused too now lol.

We do 2 rakah and regarding the surah being read, it varies depending on who's leading. In most cases we try to do a juz each night which is similar to how mosques do it.
I have prayed taraweeh a few times where they'd do 4 rakats rather than 2.

Since Taraweeh is sunnah I'm guessing that's why there are so many different views. This thread alone shows that :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 41
Common mistake. Afaik the 8 is referring to tahajudd

Assalamualaikum,

That may be true for that hadith, but the Sunnah is 8. You can read any amount, but the Prophet (SAW) prayed 8 rak'aat Tarawih and 3 Witr. This is also shown when Umar ibn Al-Khatab (RA) ordered Ubayy ibn Ka'b to lead 11 rak'aat (8 Tarawih and 3 witr).

But yeah, there is no set number as the Prophet (SAW) said "pray it (Tarawih) 2 by 2 by 2 etc." Without specifying any set amount.
Original post by King7
Assalamualaikum,

That may be true for that hadith, but the Sunnah is 8. You can read any amount, but the Prophet (SAW) prayed 8 rak'aat Tarawih and 3 Witr. This is also shown when Umar ibn Al-Khatab (RA) ordered Ubayy ibn Ka'b to lead 11 rak'aat (8 Tarawih and 3 witr).

But yeah, there is no set number as the Prophet (SAW) said "pray it (Tarawih) 2 by 2 by 2 etc." Without specifying any set amount.

Waalaikumussalam

Can you post the hadith or whatever source you got the bit in bold from?
Reply 43
Waalaikumussalam

Can you post the hadith or whatever source you got the bit in bold from?

Abu Salamah ibn ‘Abd al-Rahmaan, asked ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her), “How did the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) pray during Ramadaan?” She said: “He did not pray more than eleven rak’ahs in Ramadaan or at other times. He would pray four, and do not ask how beautiful and long they were, then he would pray four, and do not ask how beautiful and long they were, then he would pray three. I said, ‘O Messenger of Allaah, will you sleep before you pray Witr?’ He said, ‘O ‘Aa’ishah, my eyes sleep but my heart does not.’”

Although this hadeeth is from the Book of Tahajjud, it clearly states that the Prophet (SAW) did not pray more than 11 rak'aats in Ramadan. Nowhere does it mention Tahajjud exclusively.

However, I am NOT saying 8 is FARD. Because, Tarawih can be prayed up too dawn.
i chip after 8 snm
Original post by Federerr
Bruv it depends on the mosque.

Some man wanna long it out and have 20 minutes rakats and get it finished at 8 rakats.

Where as others have shorter rakats and more breaks in between so it takes it to 20.

I find people who do 8 are longggg.

However there are people who leave at 8 during a 20 rakat taraweeh. I despise them people... can't even have 30 mins of mosque they run along home..

20 Rakat doesn't take 30mins lmao , i have seen it go on upwards of an hour easily besides it's wrong to judge them

irony but idc
Original post by TSR Mustafa
20 Rakat doesn't take 30mins lmao , i have seen it go on upwards of an hour easily besides it's wrong to judge them

irony but idc

8 Rakats = around 30 minutes.

They leave at 8 rakats = They can't hack the next 45-60 minutes.

What's ironic?
8 Rakats = around 30 minutes.

They leave at 8 rakats = They can't hack the next 45-60 minutes.

What's ironic?

I'm judging you for judging others xD
Original post by TSR Mustafa
I'm judging you for judging others xD

lol I didn't even perceive it that way.

Once after 8 rakats the imam forced everyone to pray the full 20. He said for those who leave are the foolish ones and gave a motivational story about the effect of ramadan and how it's to gain the connection with Allah. lol

No on left the mosque hehe.
Although the story was different the next day (rofl)
Original post by subwayislife
some people say you have to do 20, others say we can do 8, what am I meant to go with??

It doesnt matter because they both finish the Quran in the same time, its just one has more breaks in between where as 8 rakats must be super looong. I do 20 but i dont think i could do 8 seems id be standing for ages, lol
lol I didn't even perceive it that way.

Once after 8 rakats the imam forced everyone to pray the full 20. He said for those who leave are the foolish ones and gave a motivational story about the effect of ramadan and how it's to gain the connection with Allah. lol

No on left the mosque hehe.
Although the story was different the next day (rofl)

I dont think its as simple as that nor should one "despise" someone, you dont know the circumstances it may be the person has to go work early whilst fasting and 45-1h sleep could be needed, or have kids etc im sure the intention is right but no need for comments like that.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
I dont think its as simple as that nor should one "despise" someone, you dont know the circumstances it may be the person has to go work early whilst fasting and 45-1h sleep could be needed, or have kids etc im sure the intention is right but no need for comments like that.

I understand that. There's people who leave at 8 rakats everyday and chill in a nearby cafe and smoke and stuff etc. They've been persuaded to stay for the full 20 but they arrogantly argue back. I didn't aim to direct it at the people who leave due to proper circumstances but there are many brother who leave simply because they cannot be bothered.
I understand that. There's people who leave at 8 rakats everyday and chill in a nearby cafe and smoke and stuff etc. They've been persuaded to stay for the full 20 but they arrogantly argue back. I didn't aim to direct it at the people who leave due to proper circumstances but there are many brother who leave simply because they cannot be bothered.

Same with my masjid where little kids constantly go the toilet to mess around... Kids shouldnt be allowed to go if they arent mature enough adults do the same constantly wondering in and out disturbs the prayer.
Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
Same with my masjid where little kids constantly go the toilet to mess around... Kids shouldnt be allowed to go if they arent mature enough adults do the same constantly wondering in and out disturbs the prayer.

Immature kids are a pain in the backside. They constantly make noise and mess around during salat.

I here you bro.
Who cares? Why do you care? You most likely don't live following strict sunnah anyway. (Sorry if you do, but you probably don't)
Reply 55
Original post by subwayislife
some people say you have to do 20, others say we can do 8, what am I meant to go with??

I'll never understand why some Muslims make such a big deal out of these NAFIL prayers. Both sides have their own sound reasons and evidences so who cares. Both are fine. There are bigger problems, it's more important for the ummah to stay united than bicker over something so trivial.
Reply 56
Original post by Sara_t
I'll never understand why some Muslims make such a big deal out of these NAFIL prayers. Both sides have their own sound reasons and evidences so who cares. Both are fine. There are bigger problems, it's more important for the ummah to stay united than bicker over something so trivial.

Firstly, Tarawih is Sunnah.

Secondly, I couldn't agree with you more. I follow the Sunni Imams (no Mawlid or any Bida'h etc.) but it is so stupid when we bicker about these small issues when the Ummah is fighting itself today! Wallahi, if the Muslims were to be hand in hand, and actually be brothers and sisters, no one except Allah can defeat us. May Allah strengthen Islam, the Muslims and the unity between the Ummah, Ameen!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending