The Student Room Group

Breaking news: 9 shot in terrorist attack in Tel Aviv

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36483660

Very sad indeed. I note that the terrorists attacked a market. Not a military base (of which there are plenty in Israel). Not a checkpoint. A market.

But I shouldn't be surprised; we know how little Islamist extremists value human life, let alone civilians in particular

One woman told Israel's Channel 10 TV that she had been celebrating her son's birthday when she heard shots and "immediately understood it was a terror attack".

"We ran like lightning with the baby and the stroller," Meital Sassi said. "I yelled at people, who didn't understand what was happening, to run."

Shades of last November in Paris :frown: Thankfully the terrorists have been arrested, one of them wounded. I can only imagine how awful it must be for the families who have lost their loved ones
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Because Israel really values human life, civilians in particular, doesn't it?
Reply 2
Original post by Plantagenet Crown

Compared to many militant or religious groups in the middle east, yes.
Original post by Thutmose-III

But I shouldn't be surprised; we know how little Islamist extremists value human life, let alone civilians in particular

No need to be so disgusting and racist. We still don't know who carried out the shootings...

Even if they were so called 'Islamic' extremists, I think it's safe to say they have absolutely nothing to do with Islam.
Yes those evil Isralis, glad they are not committing war crimes or attacking innocent people, or buying Houses to remove others forcefully through law breaking ways.
Or Building a wall Jeez who would do that only the evil Donald trump.

Before you go any cry that I am Hitler Incarnate read up the facts

That's almost a non-sequiter. Is it a justification for the actions of these terrorists?

As for Israel valuing human lives, even Hamas admits they do. Hamas said during the 2014 conflict that their tactic of "baring their chests at the F-16s" (i.e. having dozens of civilians crowd around the houses of Hamas commanders) was successful in deterring Israeli attacks.

Are you aware of Israel's "knock on the roof" tactic? Are you aware that Israel routinely dropped leaflets, and contacted Palestinians by automated phone and text messages to warn them of incoming airstrikes., but that they were often prevented from fleeing by the Hamas curfew?

It's quite clear Israel does value human life. The fact they allow 30,000 Palestinians from Gaza to come into Israel proper for medical treatment in hospitals, despite the fact this privilege has been repeatedly abused to carry out terror attacks, is demonstrative of their attitude. The fact Israel has provided substantial amounts of aid to Gaza even when the conflict was at its height and knowing that much of it would be siphoned by Hamas to sell at inflated prices, they continued to send it in.

Your comment is somewhat disappointing as you are usually an insightful and intelligent commenter on these forums
Original post by AperfectBalance
Yes those evil Isralis, glad they are not committing war crimes or attacking innocent people

So basically you're saying "This attack was justified because Israel did x,y,z.."
Reply 7
Bismilah Rehman Hamdalillah

Let Isreal start another war in Palestine, erase the mud huts they've erected since the last war.
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
No need to be so disgusting and racist. We still don't know who carried out the shootings...

Islam isn't a race, it's a religion. And if you read before shooting from the hip, you'd see I wrote "Islamist". Is opposition to Islamism also racist in your mind?

Even if they were so called 'Islamic' extremists, I think it's safe to say they have absolutely nothing to do with Islam.

No true Muslim... I mean, Scotsman.
What a wonderful americanised westernised world view.

Has your account been taken over by a troll?
Islam isn't a race, it's a religion. And if you read before shooting from the hip, you'd see I wrote "Islamist". Is opposition to Islamism also racist in your mind?

Yes, so what if it's not a race? Doesn't mean you can't be racist. I just don't understand why you would associate these violent terrorists with Islam...

What about that white guy who crashed that plane one time? Are all white people terrorists?!
The loss of innocents is always tragic , but idk why people are posting stuff about destroying Palestine , just as bad the terrorists imo
Of course it's not a justification.

That's exactly what it was. I criticised a terrorist attack, you responded with "Well, Israel does x,y,z..".

That's without even getting into the highly emotional and non-factual character of your comment.

It's just hypocritical to assume there is no motive for some Muslim resistance in Israel

What do you mean "Muslim resistance"? The Palestinians are not all Muslims, they are Christians too. Can you elaborate further on the justifications for "Muslim resistance"?

What you mean is i'm usually anti-Islam and that aligns with your agenda.

No, I mean usually your comments are intelligent and insightful and this one was faintly hysterical, highly emotional and non-factual. You don't seem interested in the facts, nor does it sound like you are particularly well-read about the Israel/Palestine conflict.

I don't have to be an Islamic apologist to know the atrocious (and legitimised) actions committed by the Israeli government every day and for years.

Which in particular, in your view, justify this attack on a market in an area that is actually likely to be inhabited by people who vote for parties like Meretz or Zionist Union?
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes, so what if it's not a race? Doesn't mean you can't be racist

It does mean you can't claim a criticism of Islamism is racism.

It's just hypocritical to assume there is no motive for some Muslim resistance against Israel. Do you know that's why the Bataclan was targeted in the November attacks?

Wow. So now we're blaming Israel for ISIS sending a squad of terrorists to mow down 100 young people at a concert in Paris. You've jumped the shark, mate. I don't see how your credibility can recover from this
It does mean you can't claim a criticism of Islamism is racism.

Honestly, just referring to it as 'Islamism' is gross and racist. These people have absolutely nothing to do with Islam.
Honestly, just referring to it as 'Islamism' is gross and racist. These people have absolutely nothing to do with Islam.

Except for being practicing Muslims. And following the injunctions in Islamic texts to kill infidels. Other than that, nothing at all.
Wow. So now we're blaming Israel for ISIS sending a squad of terrorists to mow down 100 young people at a concert in Paris. You've jumped the shark, mate. I don't see how your credibility can recover from this

I am not blaming Israel. You are the one making the wild jumps not me.

I am merely stating that Israel's legitimised actions create the conditions for a reaction. The reaction is of course not justified but it doesn't mean there is no political/religious rationale.
Reply 18
Dare I say, cue Netenyahu's justification of a renewed genocide of Palestinian women and children in a few days then.
I am not blaming Israel. You are the one making the wild jumps not me.

The wild jump comes when you claim Israel is to blame for the "Muslim resistance" at the Bataclan.

I am merely stating that Israel's legitimised actions create the conditions for a reaction. The reaction is of course not justified but it doesn't mean there is no political/religious rationale.

Anyone can have a rationale for anything. Osama bin Laden had a twisted rationale for 9/11 (one of which, on the question of Israel, he shared with you). The existence of a rationale doesn't mean that in the wake of a terrorist attack on a Western city I'd jump in to say "Whatabout, whatabout, whatabout Western imperialism / the Jews / anti-Muslim agenda etc" that people like you might claim led to it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending