The Student Room Group

A2 Edexcel Geography 2016 Contested Planet/Geographical Research

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know what questions are likely to come up for biodiversity? I have had a look at past papers and management has come up the last few times so what else could it be thank you
Original post by A-LevelEconomist
Question prediction for tomorrow's exam:

Suggest reasons for the progress achieved from the MillenniumDevelopment Goal targets.

This is adapted from the JUNE 2012 question.

how would you approach this question? what would the points be?
Reply 502
How many paragraphs do you write for 15 and 10 markers?
Any predictions for water conflicts?
Original post by ghadeerubaide98
how would you approach this question? what would the points be?

Increased aid from developed to developing countries - Official development assistance increased by 66% between 2000 and 2013
Increase in debt cancellation - e.g. HIPC initiative, Live8 - global call for action against poverty - Jubilee debt campaign
Free trade and increase in trade - especially China and India who have reduced poverty due to trade
FDI
Reply 505
how does demand for energy grow at regional local scales
Original post by JoshFlySon
I think costs and benefits of looking for new sources - Canada tar sands, Arctic oil (ANWR), fracking in UK and US, West Shetland UK

I've not done any work on this!! Please can you give me an idea of what you'd put?
Original post by Rxayz

What would u say?
Original post by Rxayz

What case studies would you use for this, and how would you structure it?
Reply 509
Original post by 12345hhjjkkll
What case studies would you use for this, and how would you structure it?

I don't know
I have case studies for global but I don't see how the energy demand can grow on a local scale. here's the whole question from the spec

Demand for energy is growing globally and at regional local scales?
Original post by Rxayz
I don't know
I have case studies for global but I don't see how the energy demand can grow on a local scale. here's the whole question from the spec

You could talk about the rise in income and middle classes in Britain leading to a need for a varied energy mix, hence why there's large emphasis in Britain on renewable energy I.e wind farms in Northumberland bay and the North Sea" and the new Nuclear project in Hingley etc, that's all I could think of tbh, but I thought at local scale it reduced cause of privatisation of coal and all the radical new technologies and policies which have in fact reduced energy consumption
Original post by Rxayz
I don't know

Split the growth into areas. The majority of growth is in china + India. Looking into the future how will the growth of the rest of the BRICS shift this pattern.

More locally you could look at investment into a town. I don't have a case study for this but perhaps a city in the developing world?

Ultimately global growth will be fueled by local areas spearheading the development in that area.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by saira123x
I've not done any work on this!! Please can you give me an idea of what you'd put?

Canada tar sands:
-Located in Northern Alberta - mainly in Athabasca
- Technological advancements and investment have made extracting tar sands feasible and worthwhile
Benefits:
- Provides an alternative source of energy when conventional sources are unavailable due to access/political reasons
-Can meet growing demand for energy - could meet 16% of Canada's and USAs demand for oil - provides a secure source
- Economic benefits - Oil industry accounts for 20% of the total value of Canadian exports - direct employment of 150,000 jobs and indirect of 500,000 - has attracted investment from TNCs such as Shell, and more recently PetroChina
Costs:
- Very energy intensive and a large source of greenhouse gas emissions
- Destructive to major boreal forest, an important carbon sink
- Widespread habitat destruction
- Huge carbon footprint - Canada's largest source of CO2 emissions
- Oil sands produce lake of toxic sludge, contaminating Alberta groundwater
- Social + health costs
ARCTIC OIL
- Estimated show 25% of world's unexploited oil and gas reserves
- Many countries are interested in this - UN law of the sea convention
Benefits:
- Rising demand for oil means its a good viable economic proposition
- Can improve energy security - especially US who have been pushing to explore and exploit in the Alaska region
- Would create jobs - Local Inupiat people believe that the oil industry around Prudhoe Bay has created jobs and other benefits
Costs:
- Oil spills propose a risk to Arctic ecosystems, no proven method for containing and cleaning spills
- No confirmed resources, just estimates - could be expensive to extract and the possibility of nothing there
- Arctic is a Pristine environment containing 45 species of land and marine animals
- Environmentalists feel that Oil companies have already wrecked havoc in parts of Alaska and should leave the Arctic alone
Anyone know reasons to why the Dependency and world systems theory is not good?

Dependency - marksist view in its purest form. Fall of the Soviet block and rise of developing countries of China through export led growth kind of disprove it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Stat from Bloomberg (Feb 2016)- A million people entering the Indian workforce every-month for the next 15 years.
Stat from Bloomberg- India is laying over 30km of road a day, equating to 11,000 km a year

A billion people have access to a telephone, more than those who have access to a toilet
What does a demographic dividend mean?
Tips for revising for the pre release ??
How detail does it have to be ??
What does a demographic dividend mean?

I think it's like the period of time when birth rates have fallen but there is still a young population. i.e The perfect time for economic development. This period has already happen for China but is currently kicking off in India.
Original post by JoshFlySon
Canada tar sands:
-Located in Northern Alberta - mainly in Athabasca
- Technological advancements and investment have made extracting tar sands feasible and worthwhile
Benefits:
- Provides an alternative source of energy when conventional sources are unavailable due to access/political reasons
-Can meet growing demand for energy - could meet 16% of Canada's and USAs demand for oil - provides a secure source
- Economic benefits - Oil industry accounts for 20% of the total value of Canadian exports - direct employment of 150,000 jobs and indirect of 500,000 - has attracted investment from TNCs such as Shell, and more recently PetroChina
Costs:
- Very energy intensive and a large source of greenhouse gas emissions
- Destructive to major boreal forest, an important carbon sink
- Widespread habitat destruction
- Huge carbon footprint - Canada's largest source of CO2 emissions
- Oil sands produce lake of toxic sludge, contaminating Alberta groundwater
- Social + health costs
ARCTIC OIL
- Estimated show 25% of world's unexploited oil and gas reserves
- Many countries are interested in this - UN law of the sea convention
Benefits:
- Rising demand for oil means its a good viable economic proposition
- Can improve energy security - especially US who have been pushing to explore and exploit in the Alaska region
- Would create jobs - Local Inupiat people believe that the oil industry around Prudhoe Bay has created jobs and other benefits
Costs:
- Oil spills propose a risk to Arctic ecosystems, no proven method for containing and cleaning spills
- No confirmed resources, just estimates - could be expensive to extract and the possibility of nothing there
- Arctic is a Pristine environment containing 45 species of land and marine animals
- Environmentalists feel that Oil companies have already wrecked havoc in parts of Alaska and should leave the Arctic alone

Thanks, so does new sources not include renewables?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending