The Student Room Group

STEP Prep Thread 2016 (Mark. II)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 640
Original post by sweeneyrod
Nice one! I feel you should probably do some STEP II and III if you are doing those since II is only next week (!)

Not even, just 1 :P
Original post by jacobe

Fair enough then! Are you year 12, doing it for Warwick, doing it for fun or none of the above?
Original post by jacobe

Have you done the recent STEp I papers. Like 2010-2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile
for step ii 2010 q13, how many marks would be awarded for "if q-p<1/2 give examples ...."
Reply 644
Fair enough then! Are you year 12, doing it for Warwick, doing it for fun or none of the above?

Year 13, bath, fun. I don't even really need it it just means that I don't have to get an A in physics. So I could either spend my time revising hard for physics or maths. I chose maths. Also I am **** at physics so there's that haha
Reply 645
Original post by physicsmaths
Have you done the recent STEp I papers. Like 2010-2015?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah but like an idiot I only left 2015 for a mock and I did the rest slowly over a few days. During the mock I panicked and ignored many easy questions (for some weird reason), so when I did it more slowly over the next few days, it was a lot nicer.
Reply 646
Step II 2015 Q5

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 647
Original post by gasfxekl
for step ii 2010 q13, how many marks would be awarded for "if q-p<1/2 give examples ...."

Here is a link to the official mark scheme that year.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64730627

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 648
Depends on whether you think you need more practice at doing STEP in timed conditions, or doing hard STEP III questions. I think recent STEP I papers are reasonably difficult, so you could do those as mocks. Or you could look at questions from before 2003 or wherever you started from, although some of them will be on topics that are no longer on the A-level syllabus.

Okay thanks for the advice, I think I'll try a few step 1papers just for timing since I quite often run out of time on my 6th question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by A Slice of Pi
I did AQA M3 today for further maths and it was horrendous...

Did OCR m3 and feel somewhat dead inside

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Did OCR m3 and feel somewhat dead inside

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to hear that. Ours was very different to past papers and was packed with 6+ mark questions.
Sorry to hear that. Ours was very different to past papers and was packed with 6+ mark questions.

Same. 2 questions that had literally never come up before and 1 which was even harder than the one 2 years ago which was already fairly hard. No show that questions either so was always doubting my answers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Same. 2 questions that had literally never come up before and 1 which was even harder than the one 2 years ago which was already fairly hard. No show that questions either so was always doubting my answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going off what people on here have said very few seem to have gotten above 55/75 but I have a bad feeling that the boundaries will not change much...
Going off what people on here have said very few seem to have gotten above 55/75 but I have a bad feeling that the boundaries will not change much...

Hope they do, last year was 66/72 which would completely wreck my grade

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fa991
Here is a link to the official mark scheme that year.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=64730627

Posted from TSR Mobile

2010 not 2013, but I needed it anyway so thanks.

i just did step ii 2013 in 2 hrs so im pretty happy about that
How much more difficult is STEP 2 to STEP 1? Also, what makes it more difficult?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Glavien
How much more difficult is STEP 2 to STEP 1? Also, what makes it more difficult?

Depends on the person. I prefer STEP 2 to 1, the questions generally aren't as fiddly. I suppose the questions in STEP 2 require slightly greater "leaps of imagination"?
Original post by Insight314
lol, I mistook you for IrrationalRoot. Silly me.

Read my reply to IrrationalRoot, it is directed towards you! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh haha no problem :smile: But yea for one of the differential equations, an integration factor made u have to integrate e^2x sinx So you could either do 3 lines of working by IBP twice which some people considered "too hard" or apply some other method not on the spec like using complex numbers. But anyway I wouldnt worry about it now, just another insignificant Alevel exam :tongue:

(Also tsr keeps saying Unparseable or potentially dangerous latex formula. Error 4: the LaTeX compiler exited catastrophically.whatever latex i just tried to typeabout all my tex, anyone know why?)

nah Im sure alot of people would have gotten higher, and even those that thought they didnt do well would likely get around that or higher as the ms seem generous in places
Reply 659
Original post by EnglishMuon
oh haha no problem :smile: But yea for one of the differential equations, an integration factor made u have to integrate e^2x sinx So you could either do 3 lines of working by IBP twice which some people considered "too hard" or apply some other method not on the spec like using complex numbers. But anyway I wouldnt worry about it now, just another insignificant Alevel exam :tongue:

You could also use the intended FP2 method which is CF/PI on the first order. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending